Work Areas

mrbuddylee

Hello, I was just wondering what kind of desk you guys used for painting? I have a massive work bench in my basement but it's too cold down there to do any painting, so I'm stuck using a little wooden desk that my wife was going to throw out.

I'm thinking of building a nice fancy new painting desk, but was wondering what you guys used to paint on. I've found that the desk I'm currently using (about 3ft wide, 2ft deep) just isn't big enough to hold everything and the drawers just suck. I think I'm going to try to build something like this: http://www.nexelshelving.com/Nexel/photos/wls60.gif only in wood form. Not sure if 4ft wide x 3ft deep (on the work area) is big enough though. Sounds big, but I've found you can never really have too much space.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do all my painting on my computer desk in the TV room, so I can be with my Fiancee while painting, and watch tv without going anywhere in between sessions. I plan to keep this up even when I have kids (with the area suitablu childproofed...I'm confident I can do it). I keep all my paints and materials in large tackle boxes I keep in a nearby hall closet, and minis/unifinished models I keep on a high shelf. This also allows me to surf the net when painting for inspiration/info/questions. I use a large piece of Masonite to paint on, just large enough that I can push my keyboard all the way back, but its stil accessable should I need to type something, and the trackball is right next to me. I would rather do this there than in the basement (where I have an airbrushing/spraypainting booth) because it keeps me active in family affairs, rather than locking myself away for several hours a night in the basement.

Damon.

I built my desk shortly after moving into my new house last year. It takes up what used to be a kitchenette in the in-law suite upstairs.

I use the right side for conversions, butting, and basing (I learned that lead dust in the painting area is bad the hard way). And I use the left side, by the PC for all of my painting.

desk2.gif

This is my painting area.

dsc02897.jpg

I've added a few lamps, and lots more paint since these pictures were taken... That, and it's a lot messier now ::P:

I built a new workstation a couple of months ago from two 4x8 sheets of good quality 3/4 inch birch plywood. All of the cuts were made by Home Depot where I bought the lumber. A 24x48 inch footprint may not sound large enough but with a six foot back and two sides to mount a paint rack, tool pegs and parts bins it's just what I needed. The paint rack I mounted on the back holds over 100 bottles and everything can be reached from my chair. Total cost was $100 for materials.

I am selling my 125 gallon fish tank and I am going to use the cash to buy a nice art table similar to Whiz's and some nice cabinets to store supplies and move myself out of the basement. Right now I have left the basement and paint at the kitchen table and store my supplies in the liquor stand. Liquor has to be stored 4' or high for my foster parent license.

ThePolo, I cannot believe how many minis you have on your desk. I would be afraid of them taking over one night... :)

I've heard of a lot of people using doors, where do you guys get doors? My house is currently missing a few where closets used to be, I wonder if they're work benches somewhere...

ladystorm, I like your plants too. Looks very relaxing!

I tried painting on our coffee table once and spilt a bottle of paint on it.. Wife won't let me paint anywhere except on my desk anymore. Can't say I blame her although she did get a nice new ottoman out of the deal. I think I might have been set up.

------Edit------

Whiz - If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for that desk, it looks small, but nice. I'm figuring materials for my own would run me about $50-$100 (depending on how fancy I get), but I might be able to buy a nice new desk cheaper although I kinda doubt it would have everything I want.