mrbuddylee

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took some pictures of my new work area and display cabinet

http://scsminimadness.blogspot.com/2009/06...ay-cabinet.html

Hey! I love that storage cabinet next to your work table. Where did you get that from? :B):

My wife picked them up at Home Depot, but you can find them at Wal-Mart and other department stores as well.

Here's mine. I had to move two years ago from an open table to something that I could keep a toddler and cats out (I have one that will actively steal unprimed minis and horde them). I still find it amusing I ended up with better organization and more painting table space in the cabinet than I did on two permanent tables.

workdesk2.jpg

Maya~

Maya - I love this setup. There is a possibilty that I may someday have to give up my combo room (office, computer, hobby, games, crafts). If so, we'll convert an under-used dining area into a multi-purpose space. It's out in plain site in an open living area, no door to keep out cats and traffic. This sort of cabinetry will be exactly what I need to close it up when not in use. In other words, I am sooooo stealing this idea if/when I get the chance. :ph34r:::D: Thanks!

Maya - I love this setup. There is a possibilty that I may someday have to give up my combo room (office, computer, hobby, games, crafts). If so, we'll convert an under-used dining area into a multi-purpose space. It's out in plain site in an open living area, no door to keep out cats and traffic. This sort of cabinetry will be exactly what I need to close it up when not in use. In other words, I am sooooo stealing this idea if/when I get the chance. :ph34r:::D: Thanks!

<G> Have at it! I didn't think I'd like it at first but I didn't have a choice and loved the move afterwards. The computer cabinets do work a treat, especially if you don't end up with a lot of space. I wound up getting and tricking out several others for my art stuff and sculpting. If/when you do and decide to put paint on the doors like I did, Walmart has those little white containers in the tupperware/kitchen section with 3 to a pack for .75. They work really well on the thin part of the inside doors if you use wide short screws to hold them. I also wood glued just to make sure. It's cheap and really effective. If your cat is a door opener the deco brass latch locks from any hardware store aren't expensive and work a treat on the outside.

Maya~

A nice setup indeed, Maya. I like the formica swatches. I assume you use them in basing? Poor Home Depot may never know what hit them now.

I have never been a fan of doors, and cannot claim anything near the paint inventory, but otherwise notice some similarities, and I'll agree, its a great desk for this kind of work. I went with a bunch of drawers there on the side, full of tools and basing goodies.

post-5065-1244672981_thumb.jpg

The other thing I notice is a few of my minis are still in the same location on the desk now as in the photo. And I took this photo last month. Dear oh dear.

Now to show a picture of your setup to my wife, so that she might see the future of my desk!

~OT~

A nice setup indeed, Maya. I like the formica swatches. I assume you use them in basing? Poor Home Depot may never know what hit them now.

I have never been a fan of doors, and cannot claim anything near the paint inventory, but otherwise notice some similarities, and I'll agree, its a great desk for this kind of work. I went with a bunch of drawers there on the side, full of tools and basing goodies.

The other thing I notice is a few of my minis are still in the same location on the desk now as in the photo. And I took this photo last month. Dear oh dear.

Now to show a picture of your setup to my wife, so that she might see the future of my desk!

~OT~

I have used a few in basing but they were fairly annoying so now they are mostly painting references and do that job well.

Doors were essential for me but I hated not being able to use them for something so useful they became! It's amazing what you can cram into these kinds of desks and still be comfortable isn't it? Mine has to do the storage duty too, though I look forward to the day when I can have drawers out of stuff again. More room for minis then!

You haven't touched them in a month? ::o: You shouldn't let them sit that long. They might start plotting revolt or ways to resist being painted!

Maya~

You haven't touched them in a month? ::o: You shouldn't let them sit that long. They might start plotting revolt or ways to resist being painted!

Lucky for me, their pewter swords are bendy, but if they ever start fashioning spears out of pinning wire I'll have to sleep with one eye open (with goggles on, of course)

I think I may have shared my space already...don't remember.

post-896-1244702624_thumb.jpgpost-896-1244702641_thumb.jpg

I also have two kids and it's very nice to be able to quickly hide everything away. I use a magnetic child-proof lock like this to secure the lid. It also comes with a hutch / cabinet section that I haven't attached (it made the unit way too tall for the living room).

One of my biggest hurdles to consistent painting time was the drag of setting up and breaking down each session...this little desk helped keep everything in one place and allowed for quick clear-up and set-up. That and the magic of a wet-pallet ::):

edit:

My paints are in artbins that I can leave on the toy shelf to the desk left, or secured in that Purple Artbin shoulder bag on the floor under the desk. I've also got my paint shaker on top (that orange box), and extra plugs for my dremel below (when I'm not charging laptops, phones, clies...)

-AW