Work Areas

mrbuddylee

Polo, man you have a lot of minis to paint. Better get those painting monkeys to work!

Actually, I think that there are more of them now, too... I've got another shelf just for my Reaper stuff...

I am secure in the knowlege that I will not run out of minis to paint until I'm at least 147 years old. :lol:

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another option for a desk---I recently used the same thing for a woodshop workbench...

I bought a workbench kit from Home Depot for 49.95..all lumber pre-cut, fasteners included. I bought a piece of hardboard for $5. I nailed the hardboard to the top with finishing nails. roughly a 3 x 6 workbench...The hardboard can be replaced from time to time (after knife, paint damage)....

Simple but effective.

What I use for painting is an old, small kitchen table that I got on a barter, for a bigger table I found....freebie so to speak. I'll take some pictures of the workbench and such and post 'em out here if you guys are interested...they could easily be dimensionally modified to serve as some jam-up painting desks.

Kev

buddylee...

If you've got a creative streak, I'd say go for the 'plywood and 2x4' approach. Does the desk need to be pretty (IE, in your living room)... I not, who cares how it looks, as long as it's sturdy!

This way you can customize it to your own specs, too... For example... my painting area is a bit higher than most desks, so I don't need to hunch any more... That, and the back shelves are *just* at arms reach, so I don't need to jump forward to get stuff off of them...

Just my 'Dollar Sign Point Oh Two'...

Oh, and Frosh... be afraid... be very afraid. :B):

I have a desk I got at Office Depot that is also a computer desk and my nightstand (everything I own is crammed into my basement-concealed bedroom, which is a mere 17x12, so it's right next to my bed). No pictures, sorry...at the moment there are about six miniatures awaiting paint on it, 75-odd bottles of paint, multiple lamps, a giant starfish, my computer, my alarm clock, a cup of drinking water, a cup of paint-water (and after two nights sitting out, they don't taste all that different) and the math homework I'm supposed to be doing this week (off for midterms, and I only had one to deal with, so I might get those six minis painted) when instead I'm here.

Life becomes so much simpler when your priorities are straight :lol:

I just use my gaming table to paint everything(not while we are gaming). Although their are paint bottles everywhere, that's why I ordered the paint rack from the reaper SWAG, next on the list the Sophie shirt "evil laguhing heard in the back ground"......so yeh......thats what itis. ::):

Whiz - If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for that desk, it looks small, but nice.

I don't mind you asking at all. ::):

I paid $90 for the table, the white lamp you see in the picture, and a computer chair. Not bad all around considering the inclusion of the chair and lamp. You may be able to do better than that for just the table. I couldn't tell you.

I have a separate room 8x12 that I have converted over to an airbrush studio and to house all my unassembled models. It has a surface next to the custom spray booth, along with another table opposite it. I had to install a door between the studio and the family room to keep fumes to a minimum.

Of course there are LOTS of shelves to store paints, models, scrap, terrain items, etc. And it is ALWAYS a mess... ::P:

As for the mini painting, I have a large table in one corner of the family room outside of my studio that I sit at and paint. Next to that is the leather recliner and then the computer desk. The entire family room is half-walled bookshelves, so I have all my models and minis displayed on the shelves. Unfortunately they are the ONLY place allowed to be displayed.

For shooting photos, I set up the diorama table and lights (separate lighting system) upstairs in the LR.

My wife loves that I can work, and she can read and/or watch TV while I am busy. Of course, she always comments on my work as I go along. It makes me happy to work, and she's fine with all the arrangements...

Whiz - If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for that desk, it looks small, but nice.

I don't mind you asking at all. ::):

I paid $90 for the table, the white lamp you see in the picture, and a computer chair. Not bad all around considering the inclusion of the chair and lamp. You may be able to do better than that for just the table. I couldn't tell you.

Whiz, I wanted to ask this earlier but did not know how, HOW CAN YOU PAINT ON A BATTLE MAT!!!!!?

Whiz, I wanted to ask this earlier but did not know how, HOW CAN YOU PAINT ON A BATTLE MAT!!!!!?

::D: She's super old. Her edges are frayed and coming apart. She's been rolled and unrolled so many times that her surface is porous and traps ink, even the erasable kind. I'd have thrown her out, but she's my first <*sniff*>, and I just couldn't bear the thought of it. That mat has got to be twenty years old or more. She served the battlefield well and now sits with me during her retirement, watching me paint up new troops to send to the slaughter. She's happy, I assure you. ::D:

Besides, I needed something to keep my shiny table clean! :;):

Jester that's nice you have your own room! I need a bigger house before I get that treatment. Right now the dog gets my wife's sewing room and I get part of the family room, but I still have to keep things halfway nice looking. I looked at some tables offered by Dick Blick. Our local store sometimes offers 40% off coupons on a single item, but even then it might get expensive. I think I'm handy enough to build a desk that looks ok, might even get good lumber and stain it or put a finish of some kind on it.

The only problem I'm going to have I think is that I have to build the desk in the basement, then put it together on the 2nd floor. up 2 narrow starcases, then when we move (probably in a year or so) I'd have to take it apart and repeat the process... I wonder if it's worth taking the time to build the desk so it'd come apart and assemble easily or give up the easy assembly tear down for a faster & easier build... I think I'm going to go to Home Depot and scope out some lumber tonight. And of course, if all else fails, I'll steal a closet door when my wife isn't looking.