Work Areas

mrbuddylee

Wow...you could almost open a small shop! LOL. I like your set up though. I don't have extra room to hang blisters so I have this habit of removing the mini, file/wash it, glue it to a base, prime it and let it sit until I feel like actually painting it competely...I know bad habit... ::P:

As for coming over to paint...you know I would if I could! I might actually learn a few things!

I do the same thing, I've got tons & tons of grey little buggers on shelves in my paintroom/computer room.

Randy M

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so, I just recently had a birthday, and got pretty stuck-in with a major commission so I "upgraded" my work-area...I thought I would show-off my new stylee.

studio_one.jpg

I don't have the two OTT lights together when I paint, one on each side actually to eliminate shadows.

Studio_Two.jpg

The "Drivers seat" view. All I need know is a Plasma Screen display on the facing wall...it's above a two story stairway though...cable won't reach :(

studio_three.jpg

My "Other" workstation. The one I work on in the Astral Plane after I've shape-shifted. :devil:

WOW...

That's figmentia at it's finest!

My station is quite humble next to yours and everyone around here thinks I'm nuts about painting.

Now I can show off these pictures and get everyone off my back ::D::bday:

Here's a pic of my area... since the pic. I've upgraded the lights to the metal reflectors with reveal bulbs tho and almost all my paints are now in dropper bottles ::D: They're in the slide out drawer under the desk top so I just have to pull the drawer out and grab what I need..that's why it looks like I have no paints

I also have a dresser nearby with alot of unpainted figs in it.

thanks for sharing your space ::D:

post-4-1098962638.jpg

Hello, first post, long time lurker ^_^

@ Darkstar:

Does that magnifying lens make a big difference in the quality of your paintings, or is it just something to prevent you from squinting your eyes?

What I mean is, did you after getting it realised that you could paint wrinkles in miniatures' faces? ::D:

Thanks in advance.

Well, I don't have pictures, but my work space is basically my computer desk. I have one of those corner desks with a hutch on it, and besides my computer, it also holds my tv (a 13" tv/vcr combo), dvd player, and mini stereo. And my painting. Needless to say, I don't have a lot of room, enough usually for the mini(s) I'm working on at the time. I keep just about everything else stored in boxes right now. Once I move out into my own apartment I plan on having a "study/paint room" with a proper setup.

Oh, Darkrelease, where did you get those round paint shelves? I've been looking for something exactly like that and can't find them anywhere! I live in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada for those who don't know it ;) ) and if anyone knows where I could get something like that locally, that would be wonderful. I'm also willing to send away for it, if I have to.

Oh, and I don't have as many minis as that, either right now. But that's cause I've just rather recently taken up painting. I've already got a list of 50+ minis I want to buy...(I'm trying to restrain myself)

Hello, first post, long time lurker ^_^

@ Darkstar:

Does that magnifying lens make a big difference in the quality of your paintings, or is it just something to prevent you from squinting your eyes?

What I mean is, did you after getting it realised that you could paint wrinkles in miniatures' faces? ::D:

Thanks in advance.

Hi, well, I actually JUST got that magnifying lamp and haven't actually used it yet hehe. been too busy setting up my place to actually paint anything :blush:

It does really bring the mini into view though...and the light is nice to help illuminate the dark recesses.

I generally have excellent eyesight however, so I do fine without, but I after looking at some of my painted minis through this lense, I see flaws and rough spots that I didn't notice before, even after photographing them. I will be working with it today and this weekend now that it's all set up.

@BMM

Yeah, figmentia is the term for certain...

I likey your work setup, it looks like a reception area, or a little office, very pro!

@Rodnik,

I'm marveling at your photo set-up. May I ask what is surrounding the gradiated backdrop? It looks like you are shooting your mini's in some sort of bag...to help diffuse light? I don't know if you've commented on your photo techniques in the photography section, but you can PM me if you'd like.

Thanks

A(photo knucklehead)Whang

That's Kevin's top secret photo trick...but now that he's posted a picture of it, I suppose it's not too top secret anymore.

It's an EZCube. I have one as well, but I don't use it as often as I should. Primarily because I need more lights. :wacko: