Bones 6 pre-hype discussion

SamuraiJack

I just shifted around all of my shame.  It helped put things into perspective.  

I've got a few kickstarters still waiting to land.  A number of unopened (with good intentions)  warhammer.  Countless bones 4 and 5.  With more bones 5.5 coming! 

I really had hoped the paint club thing was going to help drive it down.  

I need to focus on themes so i can really knock out a few at a time.  Does anyone have a strategy they could tell me on how they approach the Mountain of Shame?  If there is a strategy or way to organize it, i need it now more than ever. 

• Like 2

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, R2ED said:

I need to focus on themes so i can really knock out a few at a time.  Does anyone have a strategy they could tell me on how they approach the Mountain of Shame?  If there is a strategy or way to organize it, i need it now more than ever. 

Pick a random model and a random paint, use that colour somewhere on that model, finish painting that model, then pick a model that complements it as your next model...if the model you pick at random is a mook, find all matching mooks and paint them at the same time

Not really a strategy, but it works for me

• Like 7

On 2/11/2022 at 11:46 AM, ksbsnowowl said:

It will be interesting to see what the breakdown of materials usage is in the KS. Will Bones USA only be used for individual add-ons? Or will it be like Bones 4, where they go for making a whole expansion or two out of a new material?

I'm wondering if it will be used for the slow sellers, such as Chronoscope? 

14 hours ago, R2ED said:

Rather than derail this thread, I started a whole new topic for us all to share our tips and tricks here:
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/98166-reducing-that-pile-of-shame-tips-tricks/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 2/12/2022 at 11:24 AM, Evilhalfling said:

I have a lot of big dragons. 

(unpainted totals::  7 reaper, 3 non-reaper:  3"base or larger.) 

But I'm going to need that one too. 

Err, so what does that make my pile?  I have over 50 unpainted and 70 painted dragons ranging from 'I cant see it' to 'now I have carpel tunnel syndrome' in size and weight.  (metal T'raukzul will add muscle to your wrist and destroy your tendons at the same time!)

But I am definitely looking forward to the new dragons, which hopefully this time will be of the larger variety!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Err, so what does that make my pile?  I have over 50 unpainted and 70 painted dragons ranging from 'I cant see it' to 'now I have carpel tunnel syndrome' in size and weight.  (metal T'raukzul will add muscle to your wrist and destroy your tendons at the same time!)

But I am definitely looking forward to the new dragons, which hopefully this time will be of the larger variety!

that makes your pile just the right size!  (after buying a few more) 

soo a quick count reveals 20 painted dragons. + about 6 wymlings.  only 1 in metal.  and only 1 larger than an American football. 
just as soon as I get around to figuring out my airbrush... 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Evilhalfling said:

that makes your pile just the right size!  (after buying a few more) 

soo a quick count reveals 20 painted dragons. + about 6 wymlings.  only 1 in metal.  and only 1 larger than an American football. 
just as soon as I get around to figuring out my airbrush... 

there are more dragons that that in one of my 4 cabinets... I may have a problem   the 70+ finished ones does not include the ones i have sold, given away, or traded; only what remains at the house.  

disturbingly, all of my painted dragons are right by the front door so if i need to bug out i can shovel them out the door on the way out!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Just now, YronimosW said:

A dragon hoard?  Dragon horde?  Both?

well, yes.

I even have a living dragon in the house. (Gabby is a bearded dragon and every once in a while goes wandering among her comrades

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2022 at 8:01 PM, lexomatic said:

Did anybody late back 5 & can comment how it worked?

I was a late backer of Bones 5, and purchased quite a bit through the Pledge manager though I came in after some of the items were no longer available and now I must wait to buy what I missed at full retail price....

As far as how it went for me, I got everything except my Ravenholme set (which will ship out with my Bones 5.5 order, I guess they ran out of the intial run). Other than the infamous shipping issues that affected everyone, I got my stuff before I knew what to do with it all. I'll be backing in the early days only to make sure I don't miss out on something I might want real bad. As far as fulfillment goes, I think its likely that Reaper will fulfill with minimal issues and probably those issues will be with getting the items from China on time or shipping to Europe/U.K./Australia. Not every kickstarter I've backed has fulfilled but with Reapers track record, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Edited by crowsandbones
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

disturbingly, all of my painted dragons are right by the front door so if i need to bug out i can shovel them out the door on the way out!

when the fires came at the end of last year - I made plans for a lot of dragons to get thrown in a plastic bin.  the only things that actually went out to the car was bottled water, picture albums,  and cat food. the bag of clothes & medicines stayed half packed.  The fires only got within 5 miles of us, and 2 feet of snow fell the next day. 
that is as close to a bug out as I have ever gotten. 

unpainted minis are replaceable - and the metal figures, and the few in the display case are too hard to transport quickly.  But the sheer amount of time and memory loaded into some of those tough plastic dragons is irreplaceable. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 6

My desk dragon is pretty irreplaceable.  I got him in a lot a long time ago and it's one of maybe 100 castings and a combination of resin and metal.  Since I didn't know this until after I painted it fear of destroying the irreplaceable didn't kick in and I got a wonderful ice dragon.

They won't be as rare but I hope that some of the bones 6 dragons will one as marvelous 

• Like 7

These 5 mini’s were shown on Reaper Live tonight. They’ll be in the core set, and they are made in Bones Black. They apparently already have moulds made for these, as those as actual preproduction models, and they’ll be randomly throwing them into some orders over the next 5 weeks leading up to the KS. 

17EA0F33-876D-4FD2-8DBC-78C66D5948D3.thumb.png.662c74a06fb406ec0fbb4a8d93c82c04.png

7A2085C4-7236-4F4B-82A8-CD73453CDBD3.thumb.png.6886bca9dbd5d0b71728a5dc7d2b57d9.png

That’s a goblin in the middle. Ignoring him, the other 4 have cobblestone type bases that ‘interlock’ into a group pose (they didn’t show it).

Ron saw my comment hoping for a Norse expansion, and said that there would be no Norse expansion in Bones 6.  I’m not sure we can trust Ron when he gives such statements, but regardless, it makes me sad. 😢

Here’s hoping for an encounter, I guess. 

Finally, an unfinished rough sketch of one of the stretch goal maps. 

DF760A61-19BD-445B-93FC-8C998FBA3344.thumb.png.72f005f52380f7fcf546e45f66a3d378.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

15 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

Ron saw my comment hoping for a Norse expansion, and said that there would be no Norse expansion in Bones 6.  I’m not sure we can trust Ron when he gives such statements, but regardless, it makes me sad. 😢

Here’s hoping for an encounter, I guess. 

Gosh this is a real bummer if true.  I feel like I've seen a LOT of desire for what boils down to hot and cold expansions.  Arctic/Norse winter adventurers. And Egyptian/Arabian desert adventurers.  Besides more other-worldly options, those are the two ecological niches that feel largely overlooked.

Though I am happy to see that they do seem to be meeting the demand for a Fey expansion.

• Like 6