Bones 6 pre-hype discussion

SamuraiJack

On 1/22/2022 at 3:10 PM, R2ED said:

@Great Khan Artisti agree that some kind of Arabian nights feeling set would be pretty cool.  Sand dwelling, arid landscapes, oasis - you know the feeling. 

I would definitely have to buy an Arabian Nights themed expansion. 

Regarding Dragons, I'd like to see more dragon rider stuff. Right now Bones has dozens of dragons, but only one is being ridden.  Give us dragons being ridden at least, and a variety of PC options for those dragon saddles.  Even better would be a selection of saddles and howdahs that could be fit to existing Bones dragons, and PC options for riders to fit those, but that might be too much of a niche. 

• Like 5

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

I would definitely have to buy an Arabian Nights themed expansion. 

Regarding Dragons, I'd like to see more dragon rider stuff. Right now Bones has dozens of dragons, but only one is being ridden.  Give us dragons being ridden at least, and a variety of PC options for those dragon saddles.  Even better would be a selection of saddles and howdahs that could be fit to existing Bones dragons, and PC options for riders to fit those, but that might be too much of a niche. 

If they do it as an add-on then the people who want it can pay for it, and nobody has to complain that "half of this expansion is stuff I don't want". 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Marc said:

Anything on this?

Reaper does not have the capacity to fulfill a Kickstarter via SioCast. Reaper employees have stated this on numerous occasions. As such, I expect Bones 6 mini’s will follow a similar pattern to Bones 5 (lots of Bones Black, some the reformulated ‘classic’ bones based on size, etc.)

• Like 8

For the first time in many years I ran some published D&D stuff (as opposed to my usual homebrew) last Summer, just before my B5 arrived, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I was able to cover minis-wise, largely due to B2-4 massively broadening out my ancient Citadel and Alternative Armies hoard/horde. With the addition of a middling B5 haul I'm even better set, so I suspect B6 will be very much pick'n'mix.

I suppose I'd see the value for me as being in continuing to develop existing lines. I'd love to see the superb Kobold & Goblin ranges further expanded, more Slithe, and versions of existing adventurers on horseback.

For the first time in many years I ran some published D&D stuff (as opposed to my usual homebrew) last Summer, just before my B5 arrived, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I was able to cover minis-wise, largely due to B2-4 massively broadening out my ancient Citadel and Alternative Armies hoard/horde. With the addition of a middling B5 haul I'm even better set, so I suspect B6 will be very much pick'n'mix.

I suppose I'd see the value for me as being in continuing to develop existing lines. I'd love to see the superb Kobold & Goblin ranges further expanded, more Slithe, and versions of existing adventurers on horseback.

• Like 5

I'd really like to see a set of artisan townsfolk, just people at work to populate a village. A blacksmith and stable hand shoeing a horse, a potter making pottery, a baker making bread, all with their props&stuff 🙂

Also, a stagecoach with 4 horses and driver, and perhaps some bandits on horseback would make a great encounter set for a western setting, that could easily be modified for a fantasy setting!

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Lihmeth said:

I'd really like to see a set of artisan townsfolk, just people at work to populate a village. A blacksmith and stable hand shoeing a horse, a potter making pottery, a baker making bread, all with their props&stuff 🙂

Also, a stagecoach with 4 horses and driver, and perhaps some bandits on horseback would make a great encounter set for a western setting, that could easily be modified for a fantasy setting!

Friendly reminder that these sort of suggestions (which are great suggestions!) should be posted in the current Bones You'd Like to See thread here: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/97930-bones-youd-like-to-see-thread-5/ as that is the thread that is used to compile such ideas that Reaper actively reviews. While they do make note of ideas that they like that they see posted elsewhere, your suggestions are far more visible when posted in that thread.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 1/20/2022 at 11:16 PM, Lidless Eye said:

I know they said the stretch goal of the...what was it, Blackstar Heavy Corsairs?...early on as a smaller set in one Kickstarter was to test if they should even bother doing a Chronoscope expansion that time.  Even as a single themed set, they said it was one of the lowest sellers.

I think that's a pretty good sign that simply breaking the Chronoscope thing up in to smaller, tightly-themed add-ons is NOT likely to work much better than a full Chronoscope expansion does.

I've got a couple trains of thought on Chronoscope and what might help it out a little, and what might be hurting it, but maybe it's best as its own topic, so I won't go into it here.

What I will say is that, as a backer, I'm here to help promote those genres that get little support and no chance to shine otherwise.  I, for one, would be very disappointed to see Reaper be backed into the corner of just releasing yearly Kickstarters that do little more than fill some never-ending consensus demand for new dragons, orcs, goblins, zombies, skeletons, beardy-wizards, axe-dwarves, elfy archers, stabby rogues, and muscly duel-wielding swordsmen.

Reaper's also more than filled my quota of pirates, minotaurs, bugbears, gnolls, giants, ogres, trolls, vampires, liches, mummies, ghosts, and giant scarecrows, and dire wolves, too....  Some of the new sculpts can and often do look better and better, but the old ones are great, and I've got so many of all of the above already - in fact, the miniature market has so many of the above already, it doesn't need my backing for more of the same.  It's the more eccentric stuff that interests me at this point, and if the more eccentric, niche stuff is no longer an option....

Depending on what Reaper does with it, I'll almost certainly back for the core set in Bones 6, and I'll definitely back for any Chronoscope stuff offered.  I'll probably also do any "Dungeon Dwellers" retro-fantasy-adventure-in-a-box kind of expansion (that was genius in the last Kickstarter, and I hope it sold as well as it should have!)  Dreadmere was brilliant for its grimy, swampy flavor of dark fantasy, and I enjoyed the prehistoric, gothic horror, Mythos, and Darkreach expansions.  I think that I'm just about past tapped out on reruns from generic fantasy, though, and I'm itching for an excuse to stop adding generic fantasy to my pile-of-shame, and start clearing out the repetitive clutter:  I don't have the storage space for it anymore, and I'm not gaming at all in a post-COVID world!

In any event, as a backer, some of those Bones 6 previews above look irresistible - I like the Shambling Bog-Monster, Witches' Coven, and gnomes - those gnomes are brilliant, there's a nice back-to-basics retro-fantasy approach to their design which really appeals to me.  That's the sort of thing I've been asking for over the last couple Kickstarters!  So, I'm on (probably) on board for, and looking forward to, Bones 6, if those items are representative of what's in store.

Edited by YronimosW
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, YronimosW said:

I think that I'm just about past tapped out on reruns from generic fantasy

This is exactly how I feel. I don't need them to stop doing fantasy, but to add some kind of interesting new twist. Things with a story. Fantasy creatures from non-european centric origins.  Even if you rehash some elves and dwarves and that lot, but filter them through the lens of something like an Arabian (k)Nights theme, that's instantly more interesting.  Now we have characters from distinctly different regions.  Plus I feel like those kinds of thematic expansions are perfect for having a setting-in-a-box appeal.

• Like 6

As I think about it, the desire for different themes in minis echoes my desire for different themes in games. As primarily a D&D player, I've grown so tired of the same old generic fantasy setting. I keep trying desperately to inject new life into the same game with little thematic changes. Like running a pirate campaign with a weird hybrid of 18th century and medieval influences. So Brinewind, Dark Depths, and Dreadmere did wonders for that (though i could have used more fantasy-pirates).

My one friend has been embracing his cultural heritage through games, both as a player and DM, so he was excited to get the Daimyo set to have minis to reflect that cultural theming.

I've posted about it in the I'd like to see threads, but my biggest hopes for Bones 6 is a desert theme (Arabian or Egyptian inspired), and a winter theme (Nordic or Arctic inspired).  Feel like those settings have a lot of potential.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, MoonglowMinis said:

As I think about it, the desire for different themes in minis echoes my desire for different themes in games. As primarily a D&D player, I've grown so tired of the same old generic fantasy setting. I keep trying desperately to inject new life into the same game with little thematic changes. Like running a pirate campaign with a weird hybrid of 18th century and medieval influences. So Brinewind, Dark Depths, and Dreadmere did wonders for that (though i could have used more fantasy-pirates).

My one friend has been embracing his cultural heritage through games, both as a player and DM, so he was excited to get the Daimyo set to have minis to reflect that cultural theming.

I've posted about it in the I'd like to see threads, but my biggest hopes for Bones 6 is a desert theme (Arabian or Egyptian inspired), and a winter theme (Nordic or Arctic inspired).  Feel like those settings have a lot of potential.

I am totally for expansions like that.  I thought it was strange, though, that Daimyo seemed like one of lukewarm expansions (and one of the few I skipped) but Odyssey was super-popular (and the one I was looking most forward to)

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Lidless Eye said:

I am totally for expansions like that.  I thought it was strange, though, that Daimyo seemed like one of lukewarm expansions (and one of the few I skipped) but Odyssey was super-popular (and the one I was looking most forward to)

I mean, I got Odyssey, but my problem was that I need a bunch more regular mythic age humans in order to actually run a game with the figures.  I’m all about the game …

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

I mean, I got Odyssey, but my problem was that I need a bunch more regular mythic age humans in order to actually run a game with the figures.  I’m all about the game …

I wonder if it's also because a lot of Greek monsters are just general D&D critters at this point.  Cyclops, Centaurs, Minotaurs, Cloud Giant, Medusa, Golems, and more from that set are just in all sorts of settings.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Lidless Eye said:

Timing maybe. Mythic Odysseys of Theros for D&D had recently dropped with a Greek Mythology theme. I also feel like Daimyo was one of the lighter expansions and was missing heroes.  I also remember a lot of people being unimpressed by the dinosaurs.  I passed on it myself

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, MoonglowMinis said:

Timing maybe. Mythic Odysseys of Theros for D&D had recently dropped with a Greek Mythology theme. I also feel like Daimyo was one of the lighter expansions and was missing heroes.  I also remember a lot of people being unimpressed by the dinosaurs.  I passed on it myself

I was sort of surprised that Odyssey had so few minis in the end, but it also had the most "Huge"

• Like 4