77442 Torture Equipment 1 & 77443 Torture Equipment 2

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Grumpy Cave Bear
      More minis from my Shelf of Shame Long-Term, Partially-Completed Backlog:  A trio of kobolds from one of the Reaper Bones kickstarters! 

These are some of the tiniest minis I've painted.  Even so, it took about 2 long evenings to complete them.

I did lots of practice of NMM steel and gold.  I'm now of the opinion that NMM works better than metallics for small minis.

The clothing was originally red, but I found it was too close to the orange of the skin color and just blended together from about 2 feet away, so they got repainted to a color/tone that was more distinct.

I prefer that my kobolds be weird dog/lizard hybrid creatures, so they all got black noses.  It looks good on these!

That brings the total minis I've painted this year to 19! (With another one in the wings.) 
    • By Grumpy Cave Bear
      Part of my goal for the year was to reduce my literal Shelf of Shame:  The minis that I started and put down and never came back to.  Some of those minis are recent, some extend all the way back to when i started painting minis in about 2014 or so.

So as the first installment, here are a few things I've painted since the beginning of the year:

First up is the Pillar of Good and Pillar of Evil:

I forget why I had these on the shelf.  I think I was intending to paint them along with the rest of the dungeon decor from the second Reaper Kickstarter.  While the barrels and crates were finished long ago, these languished until now.

They are painted with a green-stone mixture:  Vallejo's Model Air Dark SeaGreen and US Light Grey , and drybrushed with a mix of US Light Grey and Model Color Dark Sand.

I did the Pillar of Evil quickly, but then needed something to practice Reaper's NMM Gold Triad on, so the Pillar of Good got the treatment.  Flowers are Reaper Punk Rock Pink, with Breast Cancer Awareness Pink highlights.

Second up is a collection of large vermin Dire Rats:

Not every mini can be a hero.  Some have to be rats.

These have been on the self of shame since the start.  They were painted and stripped several times, and even served as test minis for various primers.  I didn't care much about them, but they were on the shelf and are a quick-and-dirty (!) painting task.  The paint job is table-top quality, but I did like the final coloration, so I'll record it here for the Giant Rats I have to paint later:

Fur:  Layer up with dry-brushing:
      MSP Walnut Brown
      MSP Russet Brown 
      MSP Intense Brown
      MSP Intense Brown mixed with any ivory color on your palette  

Tail:
      Base: HD Entrail Pink
      Highlight: MSP Old West Rose
      Detail: MSP New Copper

Finally, here is the current state of the Shelf of Shame:

(I told you, it was a literal shelf!  It's a shadowbox made from a plastic 12" x 12" picture frame and foam core board.  See: GCB Tries Foam Core Joinery.)

They're mostly Reaper minis I have to finish/repaint.  The notable exception are the Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion figures on the top shelf.  This group should be entirely doable, by the end of the year.  Then I get to pull out new minis to paint!

• By Thrym
      "Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs..."

First, let me explain "why" I made this.  Yes, "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie.  The same as any of those Hallmark channel movies, "It's a Wonderful Life," or "Elf."  I can feel my teeth rotting just mentioning that movie.

Second, my wife wears holiday pins everyday for the month of December.  She even wears a pair of pins on occasion.  She has too many to fit into 25 days.

Since this became a tradition, as is watching "Die Hard," every year, I started planning this craft project.

I did have this sidelined for a bit, mostly due to not having the right size "vent" I wanted to use for the size of the pin.  I finally found a rounded corner rectangular set of cookie cutters (pkg of 10) that fit the bill.  LOL

So with laminated pictures of John in the can, as it were, I cut him in and then added UV resin to seal him in.  A generous layer of resin.  Then I added a cutout of his head and his hand with the lighter to add some depth.

Voila, John McClane in the vents of the Nakatomi Building. You might have seen some ornaments around the 'net.

Here are some pics as well as my wife sporting the pin today.

Just john bent into the "vent."

John with a cutout of his head one layer in front of the background pic and his hand and light another layer ahead of that.

Sadly a few bubbles formed on the top layers.  I got a few out before hardening the resin.

The pin in place.

My wife's new Christmas Pin.  LMAO

It has two pin backs attached to the back with the UV resin.  Both with the clasp end and pin point down.  Easy placement and closing.  Holds it in place well.

I think I am going to find a mini-bow for the top and add a ribbon around the outside.  Add to the Christmas presentation.

For those wondering what UV resin I used... I got a couple of .75oz bottles off of Wish for the job a while ago.  Worked well.

Enjoy and leave your thoughts and CC.  I am interested in hearing what you all think.
    • By Grumpy Cave Bear
      A trio of animated snowmen, definitely up for trouble for the holiday season!

Definitely a fun and quick seasonal paint-up. The snowmen are painted up in Reaper Frosty Blue and highlights of Pure White, with Vallejo Azure providing the deep shadows and lining.

The bases are dead simple, using the same colors and some Americana crackle medium for a subtle cracked ice effect.

I really like how the monocle came out on the top hat snowman!

I think of the three, the candy cane carrying snowman is my favorite.  His derpy upturned face is visible from anywhere across the table, and the tattered Santa robe came out quite well.  My daughter suggested that the end of the candy cane should be spattered with blood effects, but then my wife would never let me  put it in a holiday display!

I went back and forth on the color of the hair for the bowler hat snowman.  I was going to repaint it black, but tried changing the color in a paint app, and didn’t like it.

I did one last thing to tie the trio together — I gave them matching scarves!  My daughter took one look and said: “They’re in a gang!” — she got it!

Happy holidays, everyone!
    • By Grumpy Cave Bear
      A very fun model to paint.  It’s full of expression and has a dynamic pose.  Highly recommended!