Should I invest in JOR?

Neyuttad

I’ve been playing the game for a week now with my brother. It’s fun, it’s relaxing, I like it. We’ve been using a few CAVS along with some of our CBTs and MWDA infantries and I find myself really enjoying the mechanism of the game.

Now, I’ll like to expand my gaming experience with JOR1 and JOR2. I’ve been told that the rules for combined arms can be found in those books. The problem is that they will likely be obsolete in a year or so and is rumored that after the release of RAGE, they will be available for free. (I wish they were free now!!!)

So what do you guys suggest? I’m not trying to be stringy; I just want my investment to be long-term.

Thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy the JoR, 1 and 2. The units listed within are very nice. The JoR also has scenario (optional) rules to enhance your play experiance. The units listed in the JoR will not change with the new release. The fluff will stay the same, only the data card will change.

Why wait for a year to enjoy life, the world might get eaten by a giant space hampster next week. ::o: This is just one of many possiable delays to the release of the new rules. So have fun now. :B):

For me, the Build Rules in JOR 1 have paid for that book. The second JOR has, in addition to the vehicles and CAVs, very good information about how military units in the CAV-verse are organized. This info is vital to putting campaigns together.

They are both well worth having. I'm already wearing out my copy of JOR 1 and will need to buy a new edition of it when it comes out.

I completely understand your concerns. If you can afford to do so I'd recommend you pick up the JOR's. JOR1 is more CAV based with minimal vehicles and aircraft. JOR2 is the opposite, although the CAV's are even cooler.

IMO this game (CAV) is one of the very few that I feel is worthy of keeping in my collection and a number of my friends feel the same way. Regardless of what changes occur and whether you like or dislike future versions, you'll always have the current format/rules/mechanics to fall back on. This current edition is definitely worth the investment.

Original Rulebook = Cool Fluff, Core Rules, Obsolete data cards.

JOR 1 = Mostly CAV units, a handful of tanks, aircraft, infantry, etc. and correct data cards. Also, there is errata and FAQ material along with scenario/optional rules that can be used. Finally, there is the point design system that allows you to understand how units are basically created and YOU CAN BUILD YOUR OWN (albeit it'll unlikely be disallowed in "official" events). Oh, and let's not forget about the cool colored photos in the middle of the book.

JOR2 = Combined Arms emphasis, a bit more errata/FAQ updates.

I hope that helps... good luck deciding and hopefully you'll jump into the game... You won't regret it.