So, what were you doing in 1981?

Mad Jack

No, this is not a time travel thread, lol.

A recent post on another forum got me thinking about 1981, and where I was/what I was doing at the time.

(Fourth grade, to be exact. That was right around the time frame where two very important things happened - I found a set of paperback copies of The Lord of the Rings for 50 cents each at a yard sale, and I got my first copy of the Basic D&D rules.)

So, what were the rest of y'all doing in 1981?  

<cue half the forum saying they hadn't been born yet, lol>

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2nd grade. 

I have no memories of second grade.   

I remember that school later changed the room into the Music /Choir area because I kept going back there and thinking "I used to have class in this room, now there are band risers."

but the memories of the room before that are gone. 

I don't remember any school friends.  I hadn't turned into a book worm yet.  (that was 1982) 

I got some digitalized family pictures for X-mas this year... but nothing from me in 1981.  In 1978 with i was with 4 kids I cant Identify, and 1987 picture of me running a D&D game. 

BUT there is one with my sister and our first dog.  

So I have that I was learning about dogs. 

EDIT

I may or may not have started D&D - I checked my library and found Monster Manual II was released in 1983 - I think a got it as a new release. 

I still have my Monster Manuel  It was printed in 1978, so it had been out for a while when I got it. 

I used both as coloring books.  So I was pretty young. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 12

I was 14, so 7th grade. I was diligently practicing flute, reading a ton of books, and i am not sure if I had started on my ancestor research yet.  I delivered papers in the afternoon at this time I think. 

• Like 12

I turned 8 that year.  So there wasn't much to my life.  School, play, sleep, repeat.  Cartoons on Saturday morning, and reruns (Gilligan's Island, Brady Bunch, Lone Ranger, etc.) most of the rest of the time.  When I can get my older brother to play, it's usually with Legos or our Star Wars action figures.

My fondness for sci-fi is starting to develop and I am slowly becoming a bit of a bookworm.  I am still two years away from a friend showing me Dungeons and Dragons and comic books, but only a year from The Hobbit and The Book of Three.

• Like 11

81.....hmmm..I was 8 (or 7 at this time of the year. Pretty sure, that would have been 2nd grade. I recall when my mom & I moved so either I was in Parma or Payette, Idaho at the time. I do know, I was a year or two out from starting my D&D hobby as I started that when I was 9 or 10 (minis came a couple years after).

I was into Star Wars, Buck Rodgers, Battlestar Gallactica & other early 80s sci fi shows. Cartoons on Saturday, damn it was a fun time.

• Like 9

I was graduating from college in 1981 (in December).  My FLGS’s were Riders Hobby Shop and Campus Bike and Toy in Ann Arbor, and college was keeping me busy enough that my D&D game that I’d been running since 1976 was mostly on hiatus.  We had an occasional pick-up game in college.  I read a lot of books (SF/fantasy and military-related history, same as now), but only had access to a single communal TV at school that year, so didn’t see much of whatever was on.  I wasn’t getting too many (if any) miniatures painted, and I’m not sure that I had any with me at school; I probably left them at home. I was picking up the occasional board wargame or new RPG as my budget allowed.  My total RPG collection at the end of college was 11 games. 😀  My main non-gaming adjacent activity that year would have been singing; I was part of the University of Michigan Men’s Glee Club.  So, not a bad year, generally…

• Like 13

I was 30-31 that year and working in a Full-service computer store.  I think I might have been Secretary of the USBA ( US Boomerang Association). Our gaming group met at KSU and not our homes then. (Still some of the same people in the group.)

• Like 12

It was the year I turned 10 in late August.

• January of 1981 is the moment I got skipped ahead a school year. I was now in 5th grade, and the youngest of the class for the next seven years all through high school.
  • LEGOs were still my favourite toy.
  • It's the first year I finally got to watch Star Wars in theatres with Empire Strikes Back as a double-feature.
  • Saturday morning cartoons were an established part of my weekly traditions.

No big specific events other than regular family related activities.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 13

81 was also the year I turned 10, in March.

I believe early 81 was when we moved, maybe over March Break since both my folks were teachers.

We moved into my Mom's parents' house, so it wasn't unfamiliar, but was a big change.

I finished Grade 4 at the old school, then started Grade 5 in a new one. So lots of changes there.

I had a big growth spurt, from 5'2" to 6'0" during grade 5, so my legs probably hurt.....

I read a LOT, like everything I could get my hands on, including every book my older sisters brought home for school.

RPGs were still in the distant future, as I didn't start playing until college.

At the new house we could pick up a channel from the next province over (so 3 whole channels) so I got to watch some different cartoons.

Hot Wheels were still a main stay of my existence.

• Like 11

I was 6 and headed to grade 1 (or 2?  I don't remember) at the Lycee St. Louis in Stockholm, Sweden.  I remember stopping at the candy store across the street from the school on the way home on occasion.  I'm pretty sure I could draw the plan to our apartment back then and the rough layout of the local park we went to all the time, but otherwise the memories are few and far between.  Cartoons hadn't really infiltrated Swedish TV for the most part so my dad would come get me out of bed long after my bedtime when Loony Toons was playing on some channel.  Very good memories of that.  Good cuddle with dad while giggling at bugs and gang before being put back to bed.  🥰

• Like 11