So, what were you doing in 1981?

Mad Jack

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang you people are old!!!!! 😁 I was 7 so I guess grade 2. About the only thing that stands out in my mind was we had a really nice teacher and she had a computer that she brought to school. It was the first one I'd seen. She left at the end of the school year and I've never heard anything about her again.

• Like 12

I was 16, starting to decide what to focus on for my exams and future (not that that worked out as planned).

I was doing a lot of cycling in those days, out most days after school and longer runs at the weekend. Now I'm in the house 23 1/2 hours a day, although I still do indoor cycling (road bike up on a trainer, not Peleton)

I was painting WW2 (airfix plastic and possibly Ros & Heroics 1/300) and ancient Macedonians (Lamming, Essex and others) at the time. I still have the Macdeonians in the loft, still largely unpainted. I am actually scared to look at the ones I did paint. In my memory's eye they're neatly painted. In reality, there was no shading or highlighting in those days, and I didn't do eyes.

I was probably dipping my toes into fantasy figures, but it was probably another couple of years before Games Workshop really got going (apparently White Dwarf was first published in 1977, so I could be wrong about that)

• Like 11

It would have been the end of my freshman year of high school or the beginning of my sophomore year, in either Maryland or Massachusetts.  I don't remember much.  I left all my friends in MD and hadn't met any new ones in MA.  Wasn't watching cartoons any more (we only got 2 channels on the tv at the house in MA) and hadn't discovered sci-fi books yet.  I do remember coming home from school to play Pong on the Atari and turning the tv on just as the news about the Ronald Reagan assassination attempt broke.  Had heard of D&D but it wasn't really a thing and I wouldn't get introduced to it for another year or two.  I was avidly watching the space shuttle and Voyager 2 progress, keeping a scrapbook of newspaper clippings. I wonder what ever happened to that.  I had a red bicycle that I rode everywhere. 

• Like 10

I was 23. Spent the first 4 months in college, sweating my way through the first part of my Chief Engineers exams. Passed the exam by the skin of my teeth. Very glad to get the paperwork out of the way.

Then did a short trip on a minesweeper to fulfil my required time with the RNR, a very bouncy few weeks in the North Sea.

Then away for a long trip on a VLCC: "Mobil Condor", joined in the Arabian Gulf and slow steamed to Rotterdam and back, which took up most of the rest of the year.

As I was living out of a suitcase most hobbying was on hold. When I passed my exam I treated myself to a copy of SPI's "Highway to the Reich". Drooled over the maps and counters, but didn't get a chance to actually play any of it until several years later.

Oh yes, somewhere in all that I got engaged... 

• Like 10

1981 was the year I waved good riddance to school and set off for university.  My school was... not a particularly good one, and as far as I'm concerned I got into uni in spite of school, not because of it.

Once at university, I discovered what a difference good-quality educators can make.  And I made my first (not very successful) attempt to run a Traveller campaign, along with doing lots of other gaming at the university wargames society (I still have the sweatshirt).  Overall, it was good times for me.

• Like 12

I’ll come back to this later, but I’m now curious about the rest of you who were “mature” (for some value of mature…) in 1981. Do your gaming interests still include some/most/all of the stuff that was interesting then?  

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

I’ll come back to this later, but I’m now curious about the rest of you who were “mature” (for some value of mature…) in 1981. Do your gaming interests still include some/most/all of the stuff that was interesting then?  

I was 17 then, I already painted Fantasy Minis, mostly Grenadier and Mithril, some early Citadel/Games Workshop and Ral Partha, still built military models as well.

Didn't play the games then either, and I didn't have a PC/Laptop yet.

Even the Nintendo came years later.

My other hobby was collecting and listening to Metal Albums and visiting concerts.

I'm still interested in it all.

Oh and I still love board games like Risk,Monopoly etc etc.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 8

17 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

Back then, I liked LEGOs, Star Wars, superhero stuff, science stuff, drawing and art stuff.

Today, I like LEGOs, Star Wars, superhero stuff, science stuff drawing and art stuff. Maybe not in the same way, but the interests never died.

I sometimes surprise myself at seeing how much I'm still the same boy I once was.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

Basically yes.

As I said, going to sea had put a stop to 90% of my hobbying, but I had done a lot of table top gaming by then and just discovered D&D. All those passions are still with me.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

I was right at the formative stages of my interests, but D&D has always been and probably always will be my primary gaming interest. I never really got into sci-fi beyond just Star Wars and Buck Rogers.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 7