So, what were you doing in 1981?

Mad Jack

Well, it being 1981 in this thread, and a Friday, let’s look over the TV listings. 

Looks like the channel would be unmoved from CBS, with my butt firmly planted watching The Incredible Hulk and The Dukes of Hazard with the parents watching Dallas. Saturday and Sunday I’m sure the TV would be on, but unless there was a good movie on, or a football game, it would be just background noise (one of my dad’s habits).

• Like 9

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

No Saturday morning cartoons?

Well, that was a given, right? But let’s look. Ah, there… page 47 has next Saturday’s lineup. 

I’d have gone with Hong Kong Phooey at 7, then Bugs at 8. Thundar would be a miss (hated the dystopian opening and setting) so I would flip over to Daffy Duck at 9:30 then Heathcliff at 10. Probably Drak Pack at 10:30 and end cartoons with Fat Albert at 11.

Oh, and the school menu for this week? Beroks (sic), frito pie, hot beef sandwich, grilled cheese and veggie soup, and burritos.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TGP said:

How are you able to find a TV schedule from 1981?

For the evening stuff, there are TV Guide archives. But the I realized my hometown paper also has an online archive so I pulled it up for this week. Gas prices were rising as crude oil price controls had been removed and 990 people so far had died because of a bad flu season. It’s also why I had the school linch menu.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Pegazus said:

I’d have gone with Hong Kong Phooey at 7, then Bugs at 8. Thundar would be a miss (hated the dystopian opening and setting) so I would flip over to Daffy Duck at 9:30 then Heathcliff at 10. Probably Drak Pack at 10:30 and end cartoons with Fat Albert at 11.

So many memories!

Although I loved Thundar..."Ookla, Ariel, ri-ide!"

• Like 5

Thundarr rocked! That show should have been way more popular than it was, and it sucks that it got cancelled. Even worse, it got cancelled to make room for Laverne and Shirley in the Army, of all things.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 7

I hated Thundar. I still do. I cannot stand the dystopian setting. I keep thinking I should rewatch the opening but the moon cracking in half and the loss of atmosphere guts me every time.

Anyway, this thread has been way too influential on my mindset. I'm now going through my grandmother's 1981 diary, finding bits and pieces of my life to put in my "life line" presentation (big page for each year with significant events called out on the diagonal), and I find my grandmother writing about her grandfather's obituary. That let me to his Civil War info (Co. B, 33rd Illinois Infantry) and then I got distracted and moved over to try to find pictures of family, which had me restart my documentation of family photos.

So of course I swear I'll have dreams about being cast back in time. Almost as bad a dystopian nightmare (but for other reasons; namely, I know when everybody dies and I don't get to see my kids for decades).

Sometimes, I wish my brain would stop this stupid stuff it worries about.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Pegazus said:

I hated Thundar. I still do. I cannot stand the dystopian setting. I keep thinking I should rewatch the opening but the moon cracking in half and the loss of atmosphere guts me every time.

I think it's technically post-post apocalypse? Since the apocalypse happened a very long time ago, I think a century or two, before the start of the show. There are some dystopian elements but I wouldn't say that that's the setting. It is worth watching, if no other reason, than the designs by Jack Kirby.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, CaptainPete said:
16 hours ago, Pegazus said:

I think it's technically post-post apocalypse? Since the apocalypse happened a very long time ago, I think a century or two, before the start of the show. There are some dystopian elements but I wouldn't say that that's the setting. It is worth watching, if no other reason, than the designs by Jack Kirby.

I watched Thundarr, but I don’t remember that bit about the Moon cracking in half ?!

But OK, YouTube has the 59 second intro. I am more bothered by the rogue planet, with a fiery cometary tail, that goes “Whooooshh!” as it appears to pass between Earth and the Moon.

It doesn’t explicitly say the Atmosphere is ripped away, Earth just loses some cloud cover that day, presumably it mostly falls back?

The Moon cracking in half like an egg is funny though. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 4

But the good news! is: we survived 1994.

Thundarr was around in 3994. Interesting that horses, of all things,  made it through the disaster. 2000 years later, there are still horses. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 5

In 1981 I started dating the woman that I would later live with for a year and a half.

Not my wisest decision, I was 19 and stupid.

On the other hand, that was why I moved to this area, which eventually led to Megan and Brigid - so I'm not complaining.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 9