Jump to content

So, what were you doing in 1981?


Mad Jack
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turned 14 during the year, started high school.   Was doing the Boy Scout thing.  Ended a horribly mediocre soccer career.   Took up a mediocre interest in tennis instead.
Had been playing dnd for a few years by then.   I remember wrapping my ADnD players handbook and DMs Guide with book covers like my textbooks and reading them in class.  
My gaming hoarding addiction was just starting then.   Loved the micro games from Metagaming.   Especially GEV and Melee and Wizard (later to become The Fantasy Trip).  Started my mound of shame with Ral Partha, Grenadier and Asgard dwarf spearmen.   
It is funny now to watch how mainstream RPGs are now, when I remember the hysterics about them in east Texas in the early 80s.   

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Broonkah said:

Turned 14 during the year, started high school.   Was doing the Boy Scout thing.  Ended a horribly mediocre soccer career.   Took up a mediocre interest in tennis instead.
Had been playing dnd for a few years by then.   I remember wrapping my ADnD players handbook and DMs Guide with book covers like my textbooks and reading them in class.  
My gaming hoarding addiction was just starting then.   Loved the micro games from Metagaming.   Especially GEV and Melee and Wizard (later to become The Fantasy Trip).  Started my mound of shame with Ral Partha, Grenadier and Asgard dwarf spearmen.   
It is funny now to watch how mainstream RPGs are now, when I remember the hysterics about them in east Texas in the early 80s.   

 

I think I bought all of the Microgames though ~#18 or so.  After several purges of the board wargames collections, I’m still left with Ogre, GEV, Melee, Wizard, Warpwar, and Chitin from my original collection, and a replacement Sticks and Stones from later.  

 

Do you still have your miniatures from then?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Do you still have your miniatures from then?


I still have most of them.  I was never scared by the dangerous evil lead.   Haven’t seen them in a few months.   I have a serious gaming hoarding problem and while my wife has been extremely understanding, I am starting to realize a purge is long overdue.   
 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Broonkah said:

 

 I remember wrapping my ADnD players handbook and DMs Guide with book covers like my textbooks and reading them in class.  

 

 Did you make your own bookcovers out of paper grocery bags?

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Broonkah said:


I still have most of them.  I was never scared by the dangerous evil lead.   Haven’t seen them in a few months.   I have a serious gaming hoarding problem and while my wife has been extremely understanding, I am starting to realize a purge is long overdue.   
 

 

I feel like a gaming purge would be a different topic, but I’ve been there a couple of times.  There’s something to be said for trimming down to things you’re actually eager to play.  It generally inspires more games, until the pile builds up again. 🙄

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

 

 Did you make your own bookcovers out of paper grocery bags?

 

No, back then, the schools provided sheets of paper, usually with advertising on it.   I just borrowed a few extra.   If I remember correctly the covers for my DND books were white glossy paper with a big hiking boot on it.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...