Prince August 40mm Infantry Detachment (Imagi-nations)

Rob Dean

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.  Checking back, it’s not quite three yerars; I finished an artillery crew in August 2019.  The 40mm semi-flats are retro in style, and I guess they are getting to be old in regular terms, too, since I’ve had the Wild Geese molds for about thirty years now…

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

They turned out great, Rob!  

Hopefully we can get a game with these guys on the table relatively soon … Yours haven’t been out since the Before Times, I suppose?

• Like 2

Hi Rob, these are extremely cool and nicely painted.  Question, just out of curiosity, being that these are historical, are you a stickler to what you think uniform colors should be or are you more liberal?  Just generally curious as I've heard lots of historical painters are very adamant about their choice of colors for clothing.

4 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

Hi Rob, these are extremely cool and nicely painted.  Question, just out of curiosity, being that these are historical, are you a stickler to what you think uniform colors should be or are you more liberal?  Just generally curious as I've heard lots of historical painters are very adamant about their choice of colors for clothing.

Well, that’s an interesting question.  If these were for a historical army, I’d be fairly picky about having all the clothing elements in the right colors, not too bright, etc.  Since they are fictional, I don’t have to worry about whether the specific combinations of coat color, facings, vest color, trousers color, hat lace color, and gaiter color are matched up properly to a historical unit, but I do generally prefer to use reasonable colors that were used by historical armies.  So, generally, no pinks or lavenders, and so forth.  My personal army has coats in Prussian blue, but are not directly based on specific Prussian regiments.  Real armies could get pretty complex.  My most-used handy reference is this:

D618FFC3-B64E-4F00-A760-441778882FFA.jpeg.fa56fb1fd4fc47a37f5eae4581c82975.jpeg

Here’s a synopsis page for French regiments through 1736, for example:

2B8F2E4A-EA3F-44EB-BC77-43C505DFCFC6.thumb.jpeg.8479d9549f1177c3a473aa6f08fea56b.jpeg

There’s a lot of grey, but a handful of red coated regiments, and the really odd #45, with yellow vests and trousers.  I want to put together a uniform book for my armies like that, but haven’t done it yet. 😀

Some of the other painters are less inhibited.  My elder son’s army is in orange (though not really bright orange), and we’ve had units in canary yellow jackets, purple, and so forth.  I don’t judge, but I can’t quite do it myself either.

Did that address your question?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Hopefully we can get a game with these guys on the table relatively soon … Yours haven’t been out since the Before Times, I suppose?

I'm always up for a game!  Looking at my blog, it was August 2019 when my forces were last on the field. 😔

For painting, like Rob I generally use historical colors but not in specific strict historical patterns for my infantry (green coats with white trousers) and artillery (red coats and trousers).  For my cavalry I'm a bit more whimsical, with my sky blue dragoons on all white-mounts being an example.   Not historical, but an impressive sight on the battlefield!

fullsizeoutput_4f69.jpeg

IMG_9397.JPG

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Well, that’s an interesting question.  If these were for a historical army, I’d be fairly picky about having all the clothing elements in the right colors, not too bright, etc.  Since they are fictional, I don’t have to worry about whether the specific combinations of coat color, facings, vest color, trousers color, hat lace color, and gaiter color are matched up properly to a historical unit, but I do generally prefer to use reasonable colors that were used by historical armies.  So, generally, no pinks or lavenders, and so forth.  My personal army has coats in Prussian blue, but are not directly based on specific Prussian regiments.  Real armies could get pretty complex.  My most-used handy reference is this:

D618FFC3-B64E-4F00-A760-441778882FFA.jpeg.fa56fb1fd4fc47a37f5eae4581c82975.jpeg

Here’s a synopsis page for French regiments through 1736, for example:

2B8F2E4A-EA3F-44EB-BC77-43C505DFCFC6.thumb.jpeg.8479d9549f1177c3a473aa6f08fea56b.jpeg

There’s a lot of grey, but a handful of red coated regiments, and the really odd #45, with yellow vests and trousers.  I want to put together a uniform book for my armies like that, but haven’t done it yet. 😀

Some of the other painters are less inhibited.  My elder son’s army is in orange (though not really bright orange), and we’ve had units in canary yellow jackets, purple, and so forth.  I don’t judge, but I can’t quite do it myself either.

Did that address your question?

Definitely so! Thanks for the explication plus the very nice visual aids!