Getting to know you, FEBRUARY 2022 edition

haldir

10 hours ago, haldir said:

February 8th Question of the Day:

Would you rather win the lottery or work at the perfect job? And why?

The perfect job.  I would enjoy working there with lovely people, generous wages, light hours, and we'd be doing meaningful work that helped people and made the world better in some way. I'd look forward to doing it, could make a difference in the world today, and there'd still be plenty of time for hobbies and travel. 

• Like 12

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, haldir said:

Lottery. My perfect job is stay at home mom/wife. With a farm full of miniature animals. I could bake bread everyday, embroider, read, and if I won the lotto, pay someone else to clean my house 😆

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, haldir said:

Lottery because I could afford to do whatever made me happy. I don't need an obscene amount of money, just enough to never have to work and worry about expenses.

• Like 10

17 hours ago, haldir said:

When I worked I felt I had pretty much the perfect job.

I used to think about what would happen if an unexpected fortune just fell in my lap. Extra taxes, begging letters, loss of friends... 

So all in all I would ask for the third option: Good health for all my allotted span.

Hastily touching wood, I've done pretty well on that score so far too.

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 12

19 hours ago, haldir said:

Having a job gives structure in life, but winning the lottery gives freedom to do a lot of things. And being able to do the shenanigans you want is very appealing to me.

• Like 10

22 hours ago, haldir said:

Lottery. I'm content with my life except for the fact that I haven't had the cash to properly fix some things that need to be. I don't need to be rich, just want more stability.

• Like 10

23 hours ago, haldir said:

Lottery, if it's big enough. If it puts 9 figures in my bank account, I guess.

Then I wouldn't need a job at all, and be free to pursue my interests wherever they lead, monetary or not. Like it would be fun to be a musician and artist but just release everything free with no need to make money from it. Or maybe monetize it but give all the money away.

I love my job, but at the end of the day it's a job. I have to wake up to an alarm every weekday and deal with the constant humanity and stuff breaking down (since my job is to fix things). Also, I'd love to be wealthy enough to not use technology.

• Like 11

On 2/7/2022 at 11:19 AM, haldir said:

February 7th Question of the Day:

What is on your key chain besides keys?

Work carabiner only has my work fob for the building and time clock. Home keys just have a key chain will my first name on it and its etymology.

On 2/8/2022 at 10:57 AM, haldir said:

Lottery. I'd rather sit at home collecting and living off interest (my needs are fairly simple) than deal with people who just want to yell about anything and everything (I may be projecting based off the current work week). Plus I can always fill my time with volunteering for various charitable causes that I am not able to do because of work.

• Like 9

February 9th Question of the Day:

Well, today is the day, the Embassy Suites hotel in Denton, TX, USA opens up for ReaperCon attendees to stay at the "where the Con is at" hotel. What is the best hotel you've ever stayed at & why?

Let's flip it as well, what's the worst hotel you've stayed at & why?

(BTW, you have little less then 30 mins for the window to open to get your registration in! Be fast!)

• Like 9

1 minute ago, haldir said:

Well, today is the day, the Embassy Suites hotel in Denton, TX, USA opens up for ReaperCon attendees to stay that "where the Con is at" hotel. What is the best hotel you've ever stayed at & why?

(BTW, you have little less then 30 mins for the window to open to get your registration in! Be fast!)

Best hotel: That would be an onsen resort in Japan. It was part of our trip, we got full service meals, access to the naturally hot baths, multi-layer interior garden.

The Embassy Suites ranks high only because it's a direct access to the convention floor without needing to drive there. Perfect for those who flew in without access to a vehicle.

Worst hotel: A few older ones. One was in the suburbs of Toronto. I was staying there until I found an apartment. Very little hot water, shared with other rooms. Thermostat right under the heating element, so always with an inconsistent temperature. Multiple stains on the carpets and furniture. Sure, it wasn't expensive, but yeesh!

• Like 10

31 minutes ago, haldir said:

Well, today is the day, the Embassy Suites hotel in Denton, TX, USA opens up for ReaperCon attendees to stay at the "where the Con is at" hotel. What is the best hotel you've ever stayed at & why?

Best? The Windham Resort in Kona, Hawaii.

Worst? We saw it, and left...

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, haldir said:

Best would be a private cabin on the beach at the Quileute Oceanside Resort out on the Olympic Peninsula. Everything was quite nice, but the best part was being able to fall asleep with the door to the cabin open and the sound of the Pacific Ocean drowning everything else out. 

Worst would be a rundown motel outside of Mackinac, MI. It smelled like mildew, the carpet was damp, the heat didn't seem to work and the walls were so thin that we could hear people fighting with one another several rooms away. Thankfully we were only there for a single night.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, haldir said:

I've stayed at some very nice hotels, but it's more about the location (proximity to beach or other attractions) than the comforts of the room. I've stayed in some very plain, basic rooms at fabulous locations that I would prefer over a luxury suite. 

The worst, has to be a tie between the place with the vibrating beds, where my mom made us go outside to pee rather than use the bathroom there, and the place with the "no cleaning fish in the sink" sign and the foul mouthed, drunk rednecks in the rooms to either side of us. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, haldir said:

My answer to both is the same hotel. We went to Aulani several years ago as a family. We got this really nice suite for everyone to stay in. The in room experience was the best.

The rest of the hotel/resort was very overrated for what it is supposed to be.

• Like 8