Getting to know you, FEBRUARY 2022 edition

haldir

3 hours ago, haldir said:

February 9th Question of the Day:

Well, today is the day, the Embassy Suites hotel in Denton, TX, USA opens up for ReaperCon attendees to stay at the "where the Con is at" hotel. What is the best hotel you've ever stayed at & why?

Let's flip it as well, what's the worst hotel you've stayed at & why?

(BTW, you have little less then 30 mins for the window to open to get your registration in! Be fast!)

The best hotels I've stayed at would qualify as 'decent'. Haven't stayed more than a day in any of them except when my wife and I went to Calgary Fan Expo, they were pretty much used only for a bed before heading out again to the next destination.

• Like 6

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, today is the day, the Embassy Suites hotel in Denton, TX, USA opens up for ReaperCon attendees to stay at the "where the Con is at" hotel. What is the best hotel you've ever stayed at & why?

I don't travel or vacation much since high school, so experiences and my memory are a bit foggy.

Best hotel was probably the Hilton near the airport in Austin, TX. Girlfriend at the time booked it when we went down for a wedding, mainly because it was close to the airport to meet up with others flying in (and sharing the room). Didn't partake in any of the amenities apart from a couple meals at the restaurant (no complaints), but I remember it looking really nice on the inside, and big.

Worst... well, I don't remember staying at any bad hotels. Been in some small rooms (NYC) but they weren't bad hotels. I've stayed in a bad looking hostel in Poland. It just looked run down, barely enough hot water for a quick shower. It was clean on the inside, however.

• Like 9

What is the best hotel you've ever stayed at & why?

Can't say much on this one... Most of the hotel rooms I've stayed in were paid for by the company, so reasonably good, but nothing outstanding.  Nothing has stood out, for the best...

The worst was from my childhood.  My parents were traveling to visit my paternal grandparents in in eastern Montana.  Somewhere along the way back, we ran into a minor emergency and had to stay at a motel overnight, somewhere in Idaho / western Montana.  When we went to the room, it was literally some cots in a basement room, with only a tiny window up next to the ceiling.  I don't think there was carpeting.   I also remember we didn't stay the night there.

• Like 9

Best Hotel: Toss up between Hyatt Regency Tech Center in Greenwood Village, CO or Hyatt Regency Riverwalk in San Antonio. 

Sister in law works for Hyatt, and booked us the Presidential Suite at the Tech Center hotel for our wedding night and our first anniversary.  Room was bigger than our condo at the time. She also booked us a nice suite in San Antonio for our 10th Anniversary. 

Moral of the story: Get a relative who works for a swanky hotel chain. 

Worst motel:  Just outside of Caririzo Springs TX. Only hotel in area for last minute work trip I had to do about 20 years ago.  The late 70s décor looked straight out of a horror film about a serial killer.  

• Like 8

(BTW, you have little less then 30 mins for the window to open to get your registration in! Be fast!)

As Inarah says, the best hotel experiences aren't the amenities, but what you do and see there.

So, in no particular order:

The hotel on the Ice, Hudson Bay and seeing Polar Bears

A grass hut in the Selous Park, Tanzania, where in the middle of the night my wife begged me to stop snoring and I had to tell her that she was hearing an elephants digestive system as it was eating the thatch on the roof.

A tent in Kahna Tiger park that was big enough for a four-poster bed and a gigantic bathtub. (And seeing plenty of tigers, of course!)

Plenty of candidates for the worst too, but I shalln't forget joining a ship in Conakry, Guinea in a hurry. 2 nights in an airless hell-hole with hardly any food and not much sleep due to the rampant cockroaches. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, haldir said:

Best Hotel was in Maui, I think the Hilton Intercontinental, thirty years ago in October.  It was my Honeymoon.  I almost lost my Wedding ring snorkeling at a beach just south of that, but my wife saw it and I retrieved it.  Still have it.

Worst was 2018 returning from Florida.  Our plane landed in Philidelphia and could not continue to Cleveland because of a winter storm.  Had to stay overnight in a seedy Hotel near the Airport.  I think we would have been better off sleeping at the airport in the lounge chairs.  It would have been more comfortable and quieter.  

• Like 9

On 2/7/2022 at 12:19 PM, haldir said:

February 7th Question of the Day:

What is on your key chain besides keys?

Nothing but the fob.  I used to have an emergency window punch/seatbelt cutter on there (which I highly recommend people having ) but it's been hanging on my lanyard for marshaling for the last couple years. 

Still have never had to cut a drivers belts....

On 2/8/2022 at 11:57 AM, haldir said:

February 8th Question of the Day:

Would you rather win the lottery or work at the perfect job? And why?

Lottery in a heartbeat.  I'm close enough to retirement age, and have several friends who already have,...   None of them seem bored.
And I have, er, "several" minis to paint and games to learn to play, as well as a list of places we'd want to travel to.

5 hours ago, haldir said:

Best: We've stayed in "suites" in a couple of places over the years.  All very nice.

Worst: The place we were supposed to stay in on our wedding night (the kids were young and we were "honeymooning" later with a trip to Newfoundland). Had the room booked for months.  Arrive and our room was being renovated (not that they called to inform us) and they had no rooms with a king available.  We ended up going back to the house......

• Like 8

5 hours ago, haldir said:

I agree with Inarah's assessment. Most of the time, the hotel is just somewhere to sleep for a little while between activities. I've been to a fair number of hotels that would be considered to be pretty good, like the Embassy Suites by Hilton (the Reapercon hotel). 

Reapercon is actually the first time I've actually done stuff AT the hotel that I'm staying in.

Worst was a grungy little dump in Rhode Island that we had absolutely no choice but to stay in; we were stranded by a winter storm. The first room they tried to give us had both of the beds standing on end against the wall and all of the other furniture shoved into a corner. I think it was forgotten, but there also some crime scene tape wadded up into a ball on the floor.

The second room was better; it at least looked like a hotel room should look. It still didn't seem too clean, though. My wife and kids slept, I dozed in a chair inside the door with an axe I got out of my car. (Of course I had an axe in my car, I lived in New England. I also had a shovel, 2 blankets, a gallon of water, a first aid kit, and some granola bars.)

• Like 9

6 hours ago, haldir said:

Little me always loved going to the Sheraton in Calgary. We got to go in the winter for a weekend if we had good report cards. They have a big indoor waterpark with a waterslide. We spent so much time in that pool, poor dad. I also remember watching Beethoven on the hotel movies. We seldom went to the theatre, so that was a treat! Sometimes my cousins would come visit in the evening. When they used to have midnight prereleases for M:TG, I would rent a room and my sister and the kids would come into town and we would spend the weekend. We only ever did that a few times, since with all the cards and the takeaway and hotel rooms it was pretty pricy. But it was fun and the kids loved it. Our own private convention. 

• Like 10

6 hours ago, haldir said:

The best was the hotel we stayed at on my honeymoon. The Hotel Grand Pacific in Victoria BC. It was spacious, had a nice, deep tub, and a balcony.

The worst was a crap hole in LA. The window never closed all the way and there was construction outside the window. Bleh!

• Like 9

8 hours ago, haldir said:

The best...  A number of them in New Zealand would probably fight for this, but I'll go with the haunted one we stayed at that apparently has a child or parent? wandering around at night.  Honestly can't remember which hotel it was though.

The worst?  Jolly Roger Inn outside of Disneyland.  Gawds it was.... Run down, we had the ceiling partially collapse in the shower (right before I was about to go for a shower!), staff got cranky we kept turning the ac on (it was August in California, of course we turned the ac on because it was above 30C!) to cool off our rooms, and... Yeah.  Beds just weren't all that great. 

• Like 9

19 hours ago, haldir said:

I don't travel much, so my hotel experiences are a bit limited but I'll probably say:

Best: Embassy Suites for ReaperCon is very nice. I like the idea of the suites as I tend to wander into the room at a hour with early single digits showing on the clock, so nice wind down a bit & not wake up my roommate as I stumble into the room. I will say the best was probably Driftwood Shores resort & conv center in Florence, OR. The hotel was a few yards away from the Pacific Ocean, had ocean views & overall was a nice hotel. My wife & I stayed there in 2019, the last time we went over to that side of the state. I'd go back.

Honorable mention probably goes to Captain Jack's in Newport or Lincoln City, on the OR coast. It wasn't the most spacious hotel I've stayed in but when we go to the OR coast, my wife always requests a room with a oceanside view. This one was on the ground & a few yards from the beach. It was summertime too, so we were able to leave the windows open & like someone posted earlier, the sounds of the Pacific Ocean are great to hear at night. Getting to the hotel was a bit awkward, as there was really only one way in & out.

Worst: I've stayed in some dumps, as we use to just go on vacation & get a hotel while we were there, or we'd use one of the those hotel coupon books & such. Worst was probably the Unicorn Inn in Portland, OR. At the time, my wife collected unicorns & such, so figured, eh what the hell, right? Check in was fine, but when we go into the room, flipped on the light, a couple cockroaches scurried up the wall & into the shadows. I think there was one in the bathtub as well. We promptly grabbed our bags & went to the front desk & I got out money back, which was a hassle, but in the end, it was like we'd never checked in. IIRC, we just went & checked into a Motel 6 afterwards.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, haldir said:

February 10th Question of the Day:

What two radio stations do you listen to in the car the most?

I don't listen to the radio in the car, they dont play the music that I like.

If I want music,  I'll play it off my phone.

• Like 9