Getting to know you, FEBRUARY 2022 edition

haldir

17 minutes ago, haldir said:

February 10th Question of the Day:

What two radio stations do you listen to in the car the most?

I pretty much only listen to the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) or its french language analogue SRC (Société Radio-Canada).

I only go to commercial music channels if I can't get decent reception for them (only happens when driving long distances in remote areas).

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 11

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, haldir said:

Depends on the car I'm driving. The car I use to make the long work drive is newer and has Sirius XM radio, so I'll usually listen to the pop-rock station or rock-station (since I'm driving while it's dark, I try not to flip stations so I don't hit a deer or anything).

If I'm driving one of the other cars for errands around town, I'm kind of stuck listening to our local radio station which is a blend of music. Its broadcast umbrella tends to drown out most other radio signals until you get out of town. Then I can usually get a rock or oldies station.

The local radio news reporting is always good for a laugh. My favorite example that was broadcast: "Police found a body off County Road 10. It was dead." Blunt, and redundant... solid reporting there.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

22 hours ago, haldir said:

February 9th Question of the Day:

Well, today is the day, the Embassy Suites hotel in Denton, TX, USA opens up for ReaperCon attendees to stay at the "where the Con is at" hotel. What is the best hotel you've ever stayed at & why?

Let's flip it as well, what's the worst hotel you've stayed at & why?

(BTW, you have little less then 30 mins for the window to open to get your registration in! Be fast!)

nicest: Cambria in center city philly. it's not amazing, just nice furniture, slightly cleaner than the average hotel I go to.

worst: it's a tie, both were from my first trip to gencon. one was near the airport in indy, and was notable for having had it's smoke alarm punched in, smelling of smoke, and having only methed out truckers as guests. It also had a waffle house in the parking lot which is a negative. The other was somewhere near the west end of PA and had no name. It also had half height showers, doors that didn't lock right but had chains, a roof that screeched like a banshee, and a pool completely filled with wood chips. Really thought I was gonna get murdered by redcaps at that one.

20 minutes ago, haldir said:

wnyc, and some top 100 station I can't remember the name of. 3rd place is 1010 wins which I listen to only when the roads are terrible, to try and find out if it is possible to detour around.

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, haldir said:

Generally 107.7 The End or 102.5 KZOK. Though as of late if we have service we'll just link the bluetooth to Pandora and play that in the car.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, haldir said:

I haven't listened to radio stations in this vehicle since I bought it back at the beginning of 2018.  I have an old iPod that has about 1000 songs on it that I plug in and play through instead.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, haldir said:

Anything without an asinine DJ or other idiotic talking head who will distract me from other suicidally inclined road users.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, haldir said:

Sirius XM has a package for $6 a month. Great way to listen, my 2 favorites are Watercolors and Real Jazz.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, haldir said:

I listen to iheartradio for music needs whenever I want a station experience these days. Couple of stations I like listening to are:

106.7 "the Eagle" out of Portland. It's a oldies station, running 70s & 80s classic hits like Tom Petty, Steve Miller Band & Elton John

Classic Rock Station, if I just want Classic Rock with out the other pop hits.

If I do listen to a station out of Boise, it's The Eagle 96.9. It's a pure classic rock station.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, haldir said:

On an actual broadcast station? Whichever of the two local crappy "rock" stations I can pick up on that day. Often neither come in clearly, which is really sad for a major city.  Since I got my new car (in 2013) I have a thumb drive plugged in with my favorite tunes, and a much better random selection than either broadcast offering. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, haldir said:

There's two public radio stations around here I listen to in the car. One plays news and the other a nice mix of music. Depends on my mood on which one I'm listening to.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, haldir said:

I listen to Shine FM, which is the local contemporary Christian station. They have it in Red Deer, too, just at a different frequency. I used to win all kinds of goodies when they first aired. 

• Like 5