Getting to know you, FEBRUARY 2022 edition

haldir

8 hours ago, haldir said:

February 10th Question of the Day:

What two radio stations do you listen to in the car the most?

1.  My podcast app

2. Audiobooks borrowed from the library.

I know those aren't radio stations, but I haven't bothered to figure out how to use the radio on these newer cars with console screens.

• Like 5

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, haldir said:

There are a couple of classic rock stations in the area.  Back when I had a longer drive I never had the radio on and listened to podcasts, but now it feels like I fire one up and then I'm at work before they even start talking about anything.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, haldir said:

"Nope" and "screw that" are the two stations I listen to.  Or more playfully, my main station is the rumble of the work truck's diesel engine... 

I don't do radio.  Music has the life compressed out of it, it varies wildly in pacing/tempo as well as style of music, so it becomes much more of a distraction than any use.  I could connect my phone via Bluetooth to the work truck, but I haven't bothered looking up how to tell the radio how to forget the oldest ten connections or whatever so it'll actually pair with my phone. 

...That and I don't want to fi d out how terrible the quality of the speakers in my work truck is, I'd rather have silence than poor audio quality. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I don't listen to the radio in the car, they dont play the music that I like.

If I want music,  I'll play it off my phone.

This right here. Seems like most stations play country or Christian rock (barf) around here, the one “rock” station is really just pop music. 

I miss the classical station from Seattle.

• Like 7

On 2/9/2022 at 6:35 PM, haldir said:

February 9th Question of the Day:

Well, today is the day, the Embassy Suites hotel in Denton, TX, USA opens up for ReaperCon attendees to stay at the "where the Con is at" hotel. What is the best hotel you've ever stayed at & why?

Let's flip it as well, what's the worst hotel you've stayed at & why?

(BTW, you have little less then 30 mins for the window to open to get your registration in! Be fast!)

Best Hotel, the Marriot in Vienna ( Austria).

It was a great place, friendly staff and delicious food as well ( Deer Schnitzel in the Season!)

Worst Hotel,

A small one in Bretagne ( France).

It was meant for travel through but I had to stay there for 4 weeks during manoevres.

One morning we were having breakfast in the lobby when someone took a shower on the upper floor and it started raining in the lobby...

21 hours ago, haldir said:

My USB stick with assorted Rock and Metal.

I almost never listen to the Radio but when I do it's 3FM ( the Netherlands)

• Like 8

On 2/9/2022 at 12:35 PM, haldir said:

February 9th Question of the Day:

What is the best hotel you've ever stayed at & why?

Let's flip it as well, what's the worst hotel you've stayed at & why?

I haven't stayed at many nice hotels. They're expensive and tend to look down on common folk, so I avoid the experience. The best inn I've stayed at was either the Brae Loch Inn in Caz (whisky bar, amazing beef, great music venue nearby) or the Inn at Long Trail in VT (whisky bar, live Irish music, amazing kitchen, fireplace suites like cabins, on two major hiking trails).

Worst place, I'll conglomerate and give advice: never stay in a hotel that lost its franchise. If the sign looks like an old Motel 8 sign but it's the 'Quality Motel' now, run. Franchises are commonly pulled because the franchisee runs a horrible establishment. You don't want to stay anywhere Motel 8 (or whomever) doesn't find meets it's criteria!

21 hours ago, haldir said:

I haven't listened to the radio since the 90s. How awful, commercials and random music? Eww.

I have an old pre-technology truck, and I will hopefully never own a vehicle in my life that has a screen. I'm hoping my next doesn't even have computers in the engine. Anyway, it has a 6 CD changer that I love. I load it up with a variety of stuff to fit a few moods. Off the top of my head, current loadout is:

Yo-Yo Ma - Bach Cello Suites (this plays on repeat like 90% of the time, I may switch between disc 1&2, but it's my favorite album)
Metallica - Hardwired to Self-Destruct (1st Metallica album I unreservedly love since And Justice)

Stephane Wrembel - Bistro Fada (a favorite guitarist and wonderful human)

Cantiga - A Village in Motion (renfaire/traditional music, just beautiful)

Mariza - Fado Tradicional (Promete Jura is just a beautiful contribution to humanity)

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly (I love me some funk, though it's not a very happy album)

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, haldir said:

February 11th Question of the Day:

What is the best gift you have been given?

The Dungeons and Dragons  basic  boxed set. It's a long string of  circumstances,  but I might have never met my wife if  I hadn't gotten it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, haldir said:

February 11th Question of the Day:

What is the best gift you have been given?

A bar of chocolate. A friend of mine asked me to go to a board game night with her around Christmas 2009. It happened to be my now husband's apartment. Before we left he gave me a bar of chocolate because he didn't know me or what to get me even though he had no reason to since he'd never met me. To this day it's probably the sweetest thing someone has done without knowing me. It's now 12 years later and I couldn't be happier with how things turned out.

• Like 7