Getting to know you, FEBRUARY 2022 edition

haldir

2 hours ago, haldir said:

February 14th Question of the Day:

It's Valentine's Day, yah the "Day of Love", aka Made for Hallmark Channel Day, American Greetings Day etc etc. Will you celebrate the day with a significant other,  or by yourself?

My wife and I don't bother celebrating Valentine's Day. Instead we celebrate the anniversary of our first kiss on the 19th of this month and that's way more romantic than some random day with no significance to us. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

My wife and I don't bother celebrating Valentine's Day. Instead we celebrate the anniversary of our first kiss on the 19th of this month and that's way more romantic than some random day with no significance to us. 

Do you at least celebrate February 15th a.k.a. Discounted Valentine's Candy Day? 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, haldir said:

It's Valentine's Day, yah the "Day of Love", aka Made for Hallmark Channel Day, American Greetings Day etc etc. Will you celebrate the day with a significant other,  or by yourself?

Married, with cats, so we at least recognize the day with snuggles all around.  Neither of us is unto big expensive displays or candy.  Went to dinner last night, and I gave DH a dark chocolate raspberry bar this morning. 

• Like 11

54 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Do you at least celebrate February 15th a.k.a. Discounted Valentine's Candy Day? 😁

Nope, sadly my body no longer correctly processes some of the ingredients found in mass produced candy (mostly HFCS). So unless I want the 16th to be Intestinal Distress Day I avoid the discounted candy.

Editing to say: I'm seeing some sad faces on this comment. Nothing sad about not being able to eat cheap candy. It just means I have every reason in the world to buy the really expensive candy made with ingredients I can pronounce. Which wouldn't be happening if I could still eat everything I want.

Edited by Thoramel
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, haldir said:

We went out for a longish walk today, ate too much food when we got back in and now housemate and myself are about to watch Ghostbusters in honour of Ivan Reitman. Kindergarten Cop is scheduled for tomorrow.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, haldir said:

I took the Housemate to the park to feed the ducks, does that count?

• Like 12

59 minutes ago, Thoramel said:
1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Nope, sadly my body no longer correctly processes some of the ingredients found in mass produced candy (mostly HFCS). So unless I want the 16th to be Intestinal Distress Day I avoid the discounted candy.

Editing to say: I'm seeing some sad faces on this comment. Nothing sad about not being able to eat cheap candy. It just means I have every reason in the world to buy the really expensive candy made with ingredients I can pronounce. Which wouldn't be happening if I could still eat everything I want.

It's not cheap. It's discounted...

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, haldir said:

We do a little.  Cards, a little sugar free "chocolate".  We'll go out for dinner on a less crowded day.

Right now we are putting together a Gundam (classic RX-78-2) and later we'll watch some Olympics, my wife is big into watching them.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, haldir said:

Significant other (and a jump by AAA) but it was just "Happy Valentine's Day

• Like 10

5 hours ago, haldir said:

I'm pretty much spending the day at home. After working the night after the Super Bowl & with people buying early for today, store was kinda trashed a bit, & I worked a bit extra on my short night. My wife & I went out for Chinese food, last Friday night, that's good enough for this year.

2 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

We went out for a longish walk today, ate too much food when we got back in and now housemate and myself are about to watch Ghostbusters in honour of Ivan Reitman. Kindergarten Cop is scheduled for tomorrow.

Always cool to see the filming location for the school when we head over to Oregon Coast (namely Astoria). Which oddly is also the town for Short Circuit & of course Goonies). Owners of the Goonies house have shut it down for the public now. Apparently they tired of random people coming up & milling about. Since it's located on a hillside, you can see it a few streets away thou.

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

• Like 9

6 hours ago, haldir said:

A Beautiful Valentine's Story paraphrased from "The Purpose Driven Life":

A mother watched her young son one winter carefully design and cut out dozens of red hearts and lovingly decorate them with paper doilies. She inquired as to what he was doing. "I am making Valentines for everyone at school," came the reply. "Can you please help me to make sure I get everyone; I don't want to forget anyone." He handed her a list of names the teacher had compiled.

She watched as he left the house that morning, dozens of paper valentines wrapped in his arms for school. Pangs came to her heart as she thought of her son lovingly placing each of the cards into the red construction paper envelopes on the front of the desks. She wondered how many cards he would return with. Her son wasn't the most popular boy in his class and she wondered who would remember him. Would the armload home be as big as the one he left with?

That afternoon, she watched for him out the front window. She prepared herself for the expected disappointment when he arrived with a sole valentine in his hand. When her son arrived, he was rosy-cheeked from the cold. She met him in the porch and took his hat and coat. "Was the punch and cookies at school good?" she asked, hoping not to dwell on the solitary card. Her son looked up and beamed.

"Guess what. mom? I didn't forget a single one." 

I love this story. I like to tell it in church every year around this time. I'm not going to whine about not getting flowers myself today, although @Glitterwolf, @haldir and others have sent me a bevvy of virtual ones. (Thanks, friends!) Instead, I bought my grandma a bouquet and made her day, especially since Grandpa isn't on this plane of existence anymore. I get much more out of giving than getting anyway, and that's the moral of the story. 

Edited by Great Khan Artist
typos!
  • Like 12

7 hours ago, haldir said:

My wife and I don't do gifts and such on Valentine's Day.  It IS another excuse for cheese fondue for dinner along with a glass of wine and a bad movie (or episode or 2 of whatever we're watching at the time).  We celebrate the anniversary of our first date at the end of January and her birthday in early Feb, so we're mostly sick of one another by the time Feb 14th rolls around.  :bday:

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, haldir said:

By myself.

50 year streak!

• Like 9