Getting to know you, FEBRUARY 2022 edition

haldir

1 hour ago, haldir said:

February 19-20th Weekend Question of the Day(s):

Have you ever fashioned a home-made tool? Mainly this question is for hobby-use, but any is valid. If you've got a photo, feel free to post it!

Yup, made a tool for cleaning the gas tube on M-1 Garand rifles. Still in the gunshop toolbox somewhere.

• Like 11

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, haldir said:

Have you ever fashioned a home-made tool? Mainly this question is for hobby-use, but any is valid. If you've got a photo, feel free to post it!

I have gotten some nice effects by using tools for doing things they were not intended for, but I have yet to make a tool.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, haldir said:

I made a basic sculpting tool once, and I've modified some brushes.  Off the top of my head I can't recall any other hobby creations.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, haldir said:

As a farmboy, MacGyvering everything is second nature. One time we managed to switch out 4 combine engines with nothing but a wrench and a plank.

• Like 12

Yes. 
Yes I have. 
I made a shovel. 

It was a tiny shovel. Its purpose was to distribute discreet amounts of model RR ballast onto the bases of miniatures in a controlled fashion. The idea was to avoid making a large mess of tiny particles. 

• Like 12

I made a tool for placing sculpting putty in hard-to-reach places from an old brush handle and a pin/needle from a new dress shirt. It works ok, the tip might be a bit too sharp as the putty gets stuck on it sometimes. Will use a different pin next time, I don't really use it much nowadays.

• Like 9

On 2/18/2022 at 10:24 AM, haldir said:

February 18th Question of the Day:

What small gesture from a stranger made a big impact on you?

A few come to mind... 

- Lost my phone in a bad part of town.  Spent a while looking for it when I realized, only to not find it.  Got home, and turned out they called my roommates and gave it to them. 

- Misunderstood how Air Miles Cash worked, and wound up being short the money to pay for our groceries at the time.  A nice older lady paid for them, in the condition that if I see someone else in a bind and I can afford it to help them out.  A few years later, a few months into the pandemic and someone found out at the checkouts that EI had withheld payments and/or froze their bank account.  I had spare money I was going to use to buy minis or paints, and yeah, I'd rather a father be able to have some food for a few days and snacks for him and his kid to spend time together. 

12 hours ago, haldir said:

Arguably I did just that earlier when I accidentally plugged a wire into the wrong spot on a connector, realizing it juuuist after the MicroFit 3 connector clicked into place.  I don't have a Molex removal tool, nor do I have staples for the DIY trick... And the hardware store was closed.  Turns out a bit of creativity with a file and some discarded ends from other connectors was just the ticket to be able to get it loose so I could plug it into the right spot... 

• Like 8

22 hours ago, haldir said:

Yes, I have used old paintbrushes to make sculpting tools.

I have also cut down old paintbrush handles into small points that I use to apply basing material on my figures bases.

• Like 9

On 2/19/2022 at 11:26 AM, haldir said:

Not yet, but I may have to. The laundry machine isn't spinning very well, so there is probably something stuck under it. In related news, my fabric covid mask seems to have gone missing. I tried a spatula to get under the agitator, but that isn't working. Ideas? 

The ingenuity of truckers both impresses and annoys me. They're always coming up with clever little hacks, but getting them out of the trailers to clean them isn't so easy. 

On 2/18/2022 at 10:24 AM, haldir said:

February 18th Question of the Day:

What small gesture from a stranger made a big impact on you?

I missed the bus to the gas plant where I was working one time. A hotel neighbour lent me the money for a cab so I could get there and wouldn't lose my job. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Great Khan Artist said:

The ingenuity of truckers both impresses and annoys me. They're always coming up with clever little hacks, but getting them out of the trailers to clean them isn't so easy. 

The truckers, or the trailers?

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

The laundry machine isn't spinning very well, so there is probably something stuck under it. In related news, my fabric covid mask seems to have gone missing. I tried a spatula to get under the agitator, but that isn't working. Ideas? 

Do a Remove and Install procedure on the agitator?  ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKy6bmEZKQ4 <==

• Like 3

On 2/19/2022 at 1:26 PM, haldir said:

Technically my old vibrating back massager has been my paint bottle shaker for the last 5 years.

• Like 8

On 2/19/2022 at 12:26 PM, haldir said:

If templates and patterns are tools, then yes.  And what wood worker hasn't made a specialty jig? 

• Like 8

On 2/19/2022 at 12:26 PM, haldir said:

Have you ever fashioned a home-made tool?

I remember another one!

I made my own, homemade Pokey Tool. I thought I had made a thread about it. But I could not find such. 

The parts cost me about 14¢.

• Like 7

On 2/19/2022 at 6:26 PM, haldir said:

Working at sea? All the time...

• Like 7