Getting to know you, FEBRUARY 2022 edition

haldir

Ours (Oregon) is actually a hedgehog that lives at the Oregon Zoo is Portland. Oddly it's actually kinda accurate when it comes to weather predicting. My take on the whole thing is we have a day were we yank a rodent out of hole in the ground & predict the weather....... ok then. :rock:

Looking at our weather outside & the way it's been for a month, I'm sure we are getting a early spring here.

• Like 10

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, haldir said:

FEB 2nd Question of the Day

It's the Day of the Rodent or as some people call Groundhog's Day, here in the US. Do you believe in the rodent or do you just look out the window & say "Eh, it'll be spring, when it wants too."

image.thumb.png.927d62e84b170852d0c8ead25c6ef204.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, haldir said:

It's the Day of the Rodent or as some people call Groundhog's Day, here in the US. Do you believe in the rodent or do you just look out the window & say "Eh, it'll be spring, when it wants too."

Also, members outside the states, do you have a similar day like ours?

groundhog-day-bill-murrayjpg-26978fbed77

"Choot heem!"

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, haldir said:

It's the Day of the Rodent or as some people call Groundhog's Day, here in the US. Do you believe in the rodent?

Uhh maybe? but probably only for that tiny corner of Pennsylvania (?) where Phil resides in captivity. 

I can never remember which way the spring/winter coin flip works just that it involves a shadow. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 2/1/2022 at 8:27 AM, haldir said:

FEB 1st 2022 Question of the Day:

What is one thing you won't do when it comes to hobbies?

No to painting commissions.  Been there, done that, want painted minis for my own shelf.  I might do commissions again, sometime in the future, but for now I'm waiting on something I call: "the right price". 

3 hours ago, haldir said:

It's the Day of the Rodent or as some people call Groundhog's Day, here in the US. Do you believe in the rodent or do you just look out the window & say "Eh, it'll be spring, when it wants to."

Punxsutawney Phil is as accurate as any other weatherman!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

Phil is dead long live Phillis.  She can lie as much as Phil did. (Yes Puxatany Phil did die yesterday)

I appear to live in a parallel reality from tuckermann — in mine Phil was alive and well today but a rival groundhog (a Milltown Mel) reached his expiration date Sunday. 

But, it’s the interwebs, anything is possible —but everything can be false— and mass dimwittery coupled to pig-ignorant wrongthinking is the norm. 

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/01/1077352159/groundhog-day-milltown-mel-dies

Edited by TGP
  • Like 8

On 2/1/2022 at 4:27 PM, haldir said:

FEB 1st 2022 Question of the Day:

Meatloaf (R.I.P.) once said:

"I would do anything for love
But I won't do that"

What is one thing you won't do when it comes to hobbies?

Paint for other people

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

Punxsutawney Phil is as accurate as any other weatherman!

I found an analysis done by some research outfit that claimed the Groundhog was correct 39 years out of 100.

I have no idea how that stacks up against hooman weathermen. 

https://www.livescience.com/32974-punxsutawney-phil-weather-prediction-accuracy.html

Edited by TGP
  • Like 9

Not really a thing here in UK. When the rain gets up to a certain temperature we call it Spring.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

15 minutes ago, TGP said:

I found an analysis done by some research outfit that claimed the Groundhog was correct 39 years out of 100.

I have no idea how that stacks up against hooman weathermen. 

39 times out of 100 is within 1 standard deviation of 100 coin flips, which is about all you can expect when it comes to predicting the weather 6 weeks out.

I've heard it said that, even if you used an extremely accurate computer weather prediction model and input the current global weather conditions precisely, you'd not be able to predict the weather more than a few weeks out.  This is because the model's equations would be completely reset, just by the random Brownian motion of molecules in the atmosphere.

• Like 11

No weather predicting rodents over here, I think we have to wait for the swallows to return or something.

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

I believe in the Frostbitten Easter Bunny.

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

10 hours ago, haldir said:

Saskatchewan has Spring when it decides to have Spring, and it has all the stubbornness in the world. Today it announced that today was the first day of Spring by having it be -43 with the windchill.

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 11