Star Wars DVD

Darkrelease

So for those not in the know yet, September is the release date for the original Star Wars trilogy on DVD. Now here's the catch, from what I am hearing it is another modified version of the original, including new ties to the prequels. As a fan of the classic version, I must say I'm a bit dissapointed that Lucas didn't bother to give us the untouched versions of the films, heck I would have been happy if he had given us his special edition version (except for the part where Han shoots first). However in his infinate wisdom he decided to tinker with it more, and you know what, I will buy it because I love the original films, but I will not be completely happy.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I think he's tinkered way too much with the work. Although there are some parts in the SEs that are obvious improvements (i.e. the end score and scenes for Jedi immediately come to mind), there are others that are unneccessary (did we need more footage of Vader walking around???) and others that were real detractions (aformentioned Han incident).

Is there a listing of what he has changed for the new DVD releases?

Damon.

Spoiler Warning!

For those who want to be suprised by the changes, that is.

From what I've read, the rumored changes don't seem like that big a deal.

Hayden Christensen replacing Sebastian Shaw in the ghost group photo at the end of Jedi? Big whoop.

A few seconds of celebrating the Emperor's death on Naboo? Oooooooo.

Ian McDiarmid replacing the woman with the super-imposed monkey eyes as the hologram in Empire? So what?

None of these little special effects shots impact the story, so it doesn't strike me as there being anything particularly wrong with the idea.

Now, Greedo shooting first, that's a whole different story .

They may seem like minor changes but they are bothersome. Did we really need them changed? Can not the movie going public suspend disbelief when it comes to actors? I mean we all know that Ewan McGregor and Alec Guiness are two different actors both protraying Obi Wan. Why did we need to see Vader/Anakin changed? The movies were fine without needing the tie in to the new trilogy, makes one wonder if this is just another way for Lucas to drum up attention for his prequels, not that they need any help in the box office.

I didn't really have a problem with most of the changes that were already made, except Greedo shooting first, and the new end of Jedi (love that Jub Jub music). I'll have to find a more extensive list of the new changes before buying the set on DVD, though.

Greedo shoots first after Han.

I have these pre-ordered, but the original SW Trilogy is available on DVD if you know where to look. They are copied off of the laser disk, so the quality is better than your VHS, but worse than a new DVD. It will be my first and hopefully only pirated DVD I ever buy. I feel bad, but Lucas is such a JACKASS that I feel I have no other choice.

DM, AH hell Georgie get $$$ from every toy, or video or whatever, so don't feel bad

What no one has mention the atrocious ending to the Vader/Luke I am your father battle???

Luke steps off & (Lucas, hey you janitor person, come here, you have about as much voice acting as our new cast does, scream into this mic) AGHHDHDHDHSHSHSHD luke falls down the shaft.

that is so pitiful, really ruins that scene as I've always felt that Luke is jedi, he just got hit with this knowledge & he tryin to find the truth & hang on to the edge in the process, so he falls off, his perfect dream of his star ace father is shattered, he falls to his death in silence, then Lucas F's up the whole scene. Way go George, maybe the 3rd prequal will have computer cgi432 as Anakin & computer fi345 as ben.

Maybe in the DVD we'll get to see Han get his hand lopped off or Chewie's arm, Lucas has a fetish for those things, little people too (jawas, Yoda, Yaddle, Ewoks etc etc)

I may buy the dvd, but my taste for SW in general has kinda go sour, get that 3rd movie out George & if it's decent I may change my tune.

Randy M

(why don't they make a movie about KOTR?? it's a helluvalot better then the ep 1 & II storywise)