Flying red dragon with no name

H.C.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah well, smaug fu was not with me today.  Flying metal dragons are pretty hard to find out there.  It wasn't  until the plastics and resins came out that the flying poses got more popular.   Still a nice find and a nice history. 

Though it is pretty neat that mithril miniatures has three smaug miniatures

MB422 Smaug the Dragon Triumphant

M62 Smaug Bilbo and Treasure

MB345 Vengeance of Smaug

And a lot of other lord of the rings when it was awsome books, before it was a famous movie or a swarm of board games 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2022 at 12:54 PM, Mutilatedlips said:

I will name him Char Crispy or C.C for short.

Things should not be so sad for everybody, including C.C,  now that he has a nice dragon name. 

LOL! Thank you Mutilatedlips.

On 2/10/2022 at 7:50 AM, appiah4 said:

Just a friendly tip: If you want your dragons to look less like Sid from Ice Age try painting the pupils facing forward, not sides.  It's easy to think of them like chicken heads, but these are predatory animals and their eyes are probably not set for peripheral vision but for forward focus.  Cheers.

Thank you, Appiah4.

On 2/10/2022 at 1:37 PM, Kangaroorex said:

I think that is mithril miniatures vengeance of Smaug MB345 but hes missing a few pieces:  the Base, the tongue and the little wings at the back of the ears.  I could be wrong but its the right body shape and limb position.

Nice job with what you had though and i like what you did with the base.  

Thank you, Kangaroorex. I like his base too. I looked at the Smaug model you mentioned, they are different sculptures, but maybe by the same sculptor?

On 2/10/2022 at 9:11 PM, Fencig said:

That's a very nice paint and a great mini. I love the old classic stuff and seeing it here is a real treat

it's really close, but not quite. I do think it's someones version of Smaug.

Here's the Mithril version

smaug2x.jpg

That is a cool Smaug! Thank you Fencig! Might have to go looking for that one...😉

On 2/10/2022 at 9:46 PM, Fencig said:

I knew i recognized that guy from somewhere. It's from a company called Prince August   , currently in Ireland i think.

Model- DR2 Flying Dragon.

Pricey , about $120. on E-bay new in box

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Fantasy_Armies_Cast_(Prince_August)#DR

Thank you again, Fencig! That's him for sure.

On 2/11/2022 at 8:38 AM, Loim said:

This is super cool. Excellent work. 

Thank you, Loim!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Ah well, smaug fu was not with me today.  Flying metal dragons are pretty hard to find out there.  It wasn't  until the plastics and resins came out that the flying poses got more popular.   Still a nice find and a nice history. 

MB345 Vengeance of Smaug

And a lot of other lord of the rings when it was awsome books, before it was a famous movie or a swarm of board games 

It's hard to get a dynamic flying pose with metal. Trying to get enough material connected to the base while having the top look 'realistic' sounds like a tough way to make a sculpture. Prince August the Flying Dragon (C.C. to his friends😉) here is a heavy beast, he weighs 9.9oz or about 281g according to my kitchen scale.

1 hour ago, H.C. said:

It's hard to get a dynamic flying pose with metal. Trying to get enough material connected to the base while having the top look 'realistic' sounds like a tough way to make a sculpture. Prince August the Flying Dragon (C.C. to his friends😉) here is a heavy beast, he weighs 9.9oz or about 281g according to my kitchen scale.

For sure, i can count one one hand all the metal flying Dragons ever made, and that's why. Some like Ral Partha's Bridge of Sorrows had real stability issues and took really good modeling skills to pull off.

Anyway, you got a very collectible piece and you did it justice, take good care of it

12 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

MB345 Vengeance of Smaug

All  3 of those are very cool, would love to own any of them. Luckily still available for a reasonable price. Oddly enough, the same company in Ireland owns the rights to both Prince August and Mithril mini's, although most of Prince August is OOP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fencig said:

For sure, i can count one one hand all the metal flying Dragons ever made, and that's why. Some like Ral Partha's Bridge of Sorrows had real stability issues and took really good modeling skills to pull off.

Anyway, you got a very collectible piece and you did it justice, take good care of it

All  3 of those are very cool, would love to own any of them. Luckily still available for a reasonable price. Oddly enough, the same company in Ireland owns the rights to both Prince August and Mithril mini's, although most of Prince August is OOP.

I am lucky to have the entire mithril set i got as a lot on Ebay as well as the recently finished Bridge of Sorrows.  just because I want to show off, link is below:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/94429-bridge-of-sorrows/#comment-1994250

• Like 1

Kangaroo you're Bridge of Sorrows is simply awesome, so is the Thunderbolt mountain Clutch of Fear. You said you painted 15 last year, did you post the others?

All this  talk of Dragons, I realized my little collection is sorely lacking. I have a plastic one from Reaper ( i never felt inspired to paint). a really old Lead one from  Citadel I just got, and that's it. Rather sad. 

so i just ordered 4 from Mithril, including the Vengeance of Smaug, the flightless Fire Dragon, Scatha the worm, and a  cold Drake.  They are huge, up to 700 grams and 8 inches tall. Intimidating too, some are 12 pieces or more. I couldn't resist the prices, just too good and shipping from Ireland was only 22 bucks for 4 pounds of metal. 

thanks a Lot @H.C.😉

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fencig said:

Thank you very much, Fencig🥰. He has commandeered the front and centre of the display shelf. 

1 hour ago, Fencig said:

Kangaroo you're Bridge of Sorrows is simply awesome, so is the Thunderbolt mountain Clutch of Fear. You said you painted 15 last year, did you post the others?

All this  talk of Dragons, I realized my little collection is sorely lacking. I have a plastic one from Reaper ( i never felt inspired to paint). a really old Lead one from  Citadel I just got, and that's it. Rather sad. 

so i just ordered 4 from Mithril, including the Vengeance of Smaug, the flightless Fire Dragon, Scatha the worm, and a  cold Drake.  They are huge, up to 700 grams and 8 inches tall. Intimidating too, some are 12 pieces or more. I couldn't resist the prices, just too good and shipping from Ireland was only 22 bucks for 4 pounds of metal. 

thanks a Lot @H.C.😉

Sorry not sorry that you bought 4lbs of dragons, Fencig😆. The world needs more dragons. And that Vengeance of Smaug model looks awesome. Might have to get one of my own, too...

1 hour ago, Fencig said:

thanks a Lot @H.C.😉

Most of the 15 from that year are posted as I painted them so you can just look them up undermy name.  Currently I have about 60 or 70 painted dragons and another 60 or so waiting for me to get better.  I actually have a few pictures I need to get posted from before I got sick!  

You'll get the dragon bug too if you're not careful.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, H.C. said:

Thank you very much, Fencig🥰. He has commandeered the front and centre of the display shelf. 

Sorry not sorry that you bought 4lbs of dragons, Fencig😆. The world needs more dragons. And that Vengeance of Smaug model looks awesome. Might have to get one of my own, too...

it's 35 bucks! most of them are. That one and Scatha the Worm are my favorites, but i bought  4 because a) it's such a good deal and B) you never know when any of these models will go OOP. Then your paying  $100.+ on fleabay + shipping for just one. Even normal retail, a metal model this size starts at $50.+ What really surprised me is Mithril offers one of the dragons pre-painted, pricey but I've never even heard  of that before.

How do you guys keep your dragon's clean? I bought a  glass case for my collection but it's full and these giant metal Dragons would fill one up very quickly anyway.

Oh, and I couldn't help myself, picked up another 6 models with the Dragons

including a mounted Gandalf on Shadowfax, a mounted Glorfindel, a mounted "watcher at Sarn Ford", something called a Mewlip (like a Troll), and last but not least a really cool looking Stone Giant. Which is my other madness, Quest to buy every metal Giant ever made. I emailed Prince august and asked if they plane to re-release their Storm Giant, one of the coolest I've seen.

43 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Most of the 15 from that year are posted as I painted them so you can just look them up undermy name.  Currently I have about 60 or 70 painted dragons and another 60 or so waiting for me to get better.  I actually have a few pictures I need to get posted from before I got sick! 

thanks  I found some of them, very nice. Glad your in remission too.

44 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

You'll get the dragon bug too if you're not careful.

too late now. 😄

• Like 2