Ral Partha Dragon, sculpted by Julie Guthrie, DF-202

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

You did a fantastic job painting this classic!

Thanks Chaoswolf, he's been on my pending pile for a good number of years and I've just never gotten around to him!

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome dragon!

Great work!

Yeah, she's a Julie Guthrie Classic!

• Like 3

Beautiful work! 

Original catalog number 02-955, from the “All Things Dark and Dangerous” line…I apparently don’t have one, so I had to look it up.  

That got me leafing through my hardcopy 1986 Ral Partha catalog, and thinking that we actually had things pretty good back then. Then average Ral Partha sculpt was beyond my ability to paint, and everything was vastly better than it had been in 1976, ten years before, when Ral Partha was just getting started…

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Beautiful work! 

Original catalog number 02-955, from the “All Things Dark and Dangerous” line…I apparently don’t have one, so I had to look it up.  

That got me leafing through my hardcopy 1986 Ral Partha catalog, and thinking that we actually had things pretty good back then. Then average Ral Partha sculpt was beyond my ability to paint, and everything was vastly better than it had been in 1976, ten years before, when Ral Partha was just getting started…

Yeah, I know he's from the eighties, going to have to hunt around to see if I have another copy to see what year he was actually sculpted. I know I have another one somewhere.

I long for the days of paper catalogues with cool photos of minis, both painted and unpainted.  I really enjoyed miniatures back then when I was but a lad, and as I rediscovered the hobby, years and years later, I still tend to gravitate to that older style of sculpt.  There was also quite an assortment of miniatures out there.  We had access to Ral Partha and Grenadier mostly, and we were back then amazed at the "new" stuff that would come in periodically. 

And yeah, I never thought I'd be good enough to paint in catalogues, and who knows sometimes the actual criteria required,  but I've been working with online catalogues for years now.  This little dragon will end up in one as well eventually!

2 hours ago, Guyra said:

Awesome! Well done! 😄

Thank you very much, very happy you like him in all his evil glory!

12 minutes ago, Iridil said:

Those bumps worked out really well - way to paint up a classic dragon!

Thanks Iridil!  I was wondering if I'd continue making all the bumps black, but I kind of wanted the red to be the focal point and I had actually already worked on shading the highlights and bumps red, didn't want all that time to go to waste!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

Yeah, I know he's from the eighties, going to have to hunt around to see if I have another copy to see what year he was actually sculpted. I know I have another one somewhere.

I long for the days of paper catalogues with cool photos of minis, both painted and unpainted.  I really enjoyed miniatures back then when I was but a lad, and as I rediscovered the hobby, years and years later, I still tend to gravitate to that older style of sculpt.  There was also quite an assortment of miniatures out there.  We had access to Ral Partha and Grenadier mostly, and we were back then amazed at the "new" stuff that would come in periodically. 

The ‘86 catalog ends with 02-947 in “All Things Dark and Dangerous”, with the last ten or so numbers being “New releases”, so presumably 1987 or so, if they didn’t have a pause in adding things to the range.  

I enjoyed the recent Bones catalog, though it’s not up to date. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

The ‘86 catalog ends with 02-947 in “All Things Dark and Dangerous”, with the last ten or so numbers being “New releases”, so presumably 1987 or so, if they didn’t have a pause in adding things to the range.  

I enjoyed the recent Bones catalog, though it’s not up to date. 

I don't have any of the older catalogues in their original forms.  Years ago at a former job, I went on line and found various catalogues on their various platforms and printed them out on the company printer, which isn't exactly the same as an original, but at least it's nice reference. I've got a few of the more recent Partha catalogues, plus the last Iron Wind Metals catalogue, their Direct Mail catalogue, and then a couple of the Reaper catalogues.  They are always just fun to peruse every so often.

and I found the extra copy of this dragon trying to figure out what year he was sculpted:

Dragon.JPG.19779c6383ecf3cfc4b01a1c9696ad2b.JPG

Not sure if that is 1983, 1985 or something different?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob Dean said:

Not very clear, is it …

Lost Minis Wiki has links to download the catalogs: http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Catalogs_(Ral_Partha)

It looks like it’s in the 1988 one (where it’s the last number), so I’m guessing that it reads 1988…

Yeah,  and it wasn't the greatest copy of the miniature either, detail was a little soft.  

Just checked the catalogues too and yup, looks like 1988 has the first mention and 1989 was the first photo:

1802633913_dragontwo.JPG.379df8839a19cdca6071e9eb85563253.JPG

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 4:33 PM, 72moonglum said:

Biggest and only real problem was to decide on the color, but once I did, it didn't really feel like it took too long.  The other thing was I didn't know how low I wanted to paint those bumps and spiked black, so I kind of just painted them at the head and then at the tail but I had liked the shading I'd done on the rest of the bumps enough that I just decided to leave him red.

It's wonderful , I really like the bumps just the way they are

So hope you enjoy him, I think this brings up my lifetime total of painted dragons to maybe six or seven. Haven't done too many!

Group Photo PLEASE 🙂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fencig said:

It's wonderful , I really like the bumps just the way they are

Group Photo PLEASE 🙂

I’ll have to grab all the ones I have and take one! A few of the dragons I have painted have gone to other people and ones I painted forty years ago (there were two large ones that went on the top of some local trophies) no idea where they might be. 

• Like 1