ReaperCon 2022 Hotel block!

Reaper_Jon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to get a room at the Embassy Suites for 1 Sep - 4 Sep, but not for Wednesday Aug 31st. I will either have to find another hotel for the night or come in on Thursday direct. But I really like being there Wednesday night!

Lue.

• Like 2

I saw @Reaper_Jon's Discord announcement, but the RCon website wouldn't load for me. By the time I tried again, it was all sold out. When I looked just now you could get rooms as "low" as $240. (Actually, it dropped to 230/night when I included Sunday night. That night must be extra cheap!)

Booked for now, but I'll check back later to see if something better comes up.

• Like 1

• Reaper User
On 2/9/2022 at 4:05 PM, Luethar said:

I was able to get a room at the Embassy Suites for 1 Sep - 4 Sep, but not for Wednesday Aug 31st. I will either have to find another hotel for the night or come in on Thursday direct. But I really like being there Wednesday night!

Lue.

Contact the Embassy Suites hotel directly ((940) 243-3799)  and let them know you need a update your stay for Wed. night. This should work. 

• Like 2

Well I went to book a room at Embassy Suite, where the REAPERCON is being held. Because Reaper said the single/double rooms $129.00 per night.  But when I went to book a room they were going to charge me $428.00 per night.  So at that time I stopped.  Because I'm not, going to pay $299.00 more for a room when Reaper said they would be $129.00.  An if Embassy Suite is not going to honor their agreement with Reaper, I think I would be finding a different place to hold REAPERCON from here on out.  I have been wanting to go to a REAPERCON since 2002 when I was stationed a Fort Hood, Texas, but couldn't afford it.  Now I can go because I'm now medically retired disabled veteran.  But not if the price of the room is $428.00 per night.  But thank you Reaper for all the great miniatures you make. My wife keeps saying that I have enough Reaper miniatures, an I keep telling her there is no such thing as to many.

18 minutes ago, cpacker said:

Well I went to book a room at Embassy Suite, where the REAPERCON is being held. Because Reaper said the single/double rooms $129.00 per night.  But when I went to book a room they were going to charge me $428.00 per night.  So at that time I stopped.  Because I'm not, going to pay $299.00 more for a room when Reaper said they would be $129.00.  An if Embassy Suite is not going to honor their agreement with Reaper, I think I would be finding a different place to hold REAPERCON from here on out.  I have been wanting to go to a REAPERCON since 2002 when I was stationed a Fort Hood, Texas, but couldn't afford it.  Now I can go because I'm now medically retired disabled veteran.  But not if the price of the room is $428.00 per night.  But thank you Reaper for all the great miniatures you make. My wife keeps saying that I have enough Reaper miniatures, an I keep telling her there is no such thing as to many.

The block of rooms that were originally contracted at the Embassy for the con rate sold out very quickly due to high demand. They said on Reaper Live last night that they are working on negotiating for more rooms to be added and they will announce when these rooms will be up, although they will be at a higher rate than the original $129.00 block. Those rooms will also go very quickly. It is both unfortunate and fortunate at the same time that Reapercon has become very popular so the on-site rooms go quickly now and I believe this has been exacerbated by the lack of cons over the past couple of years due to the pandemic.

If you cannot get an on-site hotel room, there are rooms available at the satellite hotels that are listed in the original post: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/98114-reapercon-2022-hotel-block/ 

I know everyone wants to be in the on-site hotel and I wish it were possible for everyone to be, but the reality is that the size of the con at this point simply makes it impossible for everyone to do so. I hope that the people who are not able to get an on-site room will still consider one of the satellite options, as we would hate to miss out seeing everyone at the con.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, cpacker said:

An if Embassy Suite is not going to honor their agreement with Reaper, I think I would be finding a different place to hold REAPERCON from here on out.

The 129.00 rooms sold out in 7 minutes.  There were not that many available to begin with.  Word is that a 2nd room block of 169.00 suites is being negotiated, so keep checking for updates.   Also, if you are a disabled veteran you might be able to negotiate a discount on your own with the front desk manager. 

Closer to the con, later in summer people will have to cancel their plans and rooms sometimes become available.  If you keep checking you might get lucky. 

And Guindy beat me to the list of off-site rooms. :) 

• Like 4

On 2/18/2022 at 10:13 AM, cpacker said:

On 2/18/2022 at 10:48 AM, Guindyloo said:

The block of rooms that were originally contracted at the Embassy for the con rate sold out very quickly due to high demand. They said on Reaper Live last night that they are working on negotiating for more rooms to be added and they will announce when these rooms will be up, although they will be at a higher rate than the original $129.00 block. Those rooms will also go very quickly. It is both unfortunate and fortunate at the same time that Reapercon has become very popular so the on-site rooms go quickly now and I believe this has been exacerbated by the lack of cons over the past couple of years due to the pandemic.

I know everyone wants to be in the on-site hotel and I wish it were possible for everyone to be, but the reality is that the size of the con at this point simply makes it impossible for everyone to do so. I hope that the people who are not able to get an on-site room will still consider one of the satellite options, as we would hate to miss out seeing everyone at the con.

My thoughts have been expressed in this thread.  Yet, I agree with cpacker!   Shame on Reaper for not contracting the entire hotel.  For a con to be hosted in that hotel and Reaper not to get access to the entire 318 rooms the hotel offers, WILL reflect back on Reaper and impacts attendee opinion and experience.   (hotels can use black out dates to stop just random bookings)

Again, I say this with the experience with a larger convention and hearing the same complaints, especially when "your" website is still linking to that hotel as the "con rate hotel".  Customers don't know or understand that the tiny block already sold out.   So in my opinion, Reaper should stop advertising for a hotel that wants to charge $400+ a night - now that all of their contract rooms are gone!    And fine, more rooms for $169, great (sarcasm).  So it's just a lucky few that might be able to grab those 20+ rooms?  Nothing to help those that booked at the $250 rate or higher?   Again, renegotiate the contract or you relocate the convention.   

Sorry, but the "I know everyone wants to be on-site....and wish it was possible....but reality..."   doesn't really excuse the issue.   I get it.  300 rooms can't hold the 2000 attendees.  (I'm being generous here).   Yet, to only get 50 of those 300 rooms and act like the con is just too big to host everyone doesn't cut it.  Most people bunk up with others so 300 rooms could get estimated 800 (or more) attendees onsite!  SO unless Reaper wants to be a bit more transparent on the true number of rooms they "were lucky" to get, I can't completely excuse the miss on this one!   Or the almost bragging like they "sold out in 7 minutes"!

Again, I'm excited for ReaperCon but coming off my 2018 and 2019 experience with ZERO complaints, this year will have a slightly different vibe because the hotel issue. And "post pandemic" will alter my "be there every year" motivation.

I hope my opinion and others are considered seriously by Reaper and con planners.

First off, Reaper does not own the hotel. Secondly, there is a college football game that weekend and football is a near religion in Texas, so Embassy is not going to cut off all those fans who are paying FULL price. It is not Reaper's fault they cannot get more rooms.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Corsair said:

First off, Reaper does not own the hotel. Secondly, there is a college football game that weekend and football is a near religion in Texas, so Embassy is not going to cut off all those fans who are paying FULL price. It is not Reaper's fault they cannot get more rooms.

Considering North Texas Unv is just down the road from the hotel, yah I'm gonna agree with this one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

Oh, so glad you clarified this for me.  I totally thought Hilton was owned by Reaper and Paris was Ed's daughter.   Gotcha!

It's not like I have experience in working a 100K event and working to meet attendee satisfaction - but, it is Reapers fault.   Now, if Reaper had just said here's a list of local hotels. Pick one that fits your financial limits go for it.  Yet to contract a hotel convention center and not get the entire hotel along with it is the issue I'm pointing out.   

They can't fix it this year.  I get that.  I'm just making an observation from a customer stand point.  I've stated that if a Calendar change or a Venue change is too much work because the Region of Football is a good scapegoat.   Go for it.   It does deter attendees.   And I've stated before this didn't seem to be that way the first 2 years at the Embassy.   Just cuz I got lemon juice I don't got to call it lemonade.

But if I was running KnighthartCON.  I'd damn sure negotiate the entire hotel -- either by dates or going somewhere else.  But maybe I'm an over achiever!  

I'm probably only typing to the choir section so oh well.   

:). Thanks for reading.....

Edited by Knighthart

37 minutes ago, Knighthart said:

Oh, so glad you clarified this for me.  I totally thought Hilton was owned by Reaper and Paris was Ed's daughter.   Gotcha!

It's not like I have experience in working a 100K event and working to meet attendee satisfaction - but, it is Reapers fault.   Now, if Reaper had just said here's a list of local hotels. Pick one that fits your financial limits go for it.  Yet to contract a hotel convention center and not get the entire hotel along with it is the issue I'm pointing out.   

They can't fix it this year.  I get that.  I'm just making an observation from a customer stand point.  I've stated that if a Calendar change or a Venue change is too much work because the Region of Football is a good scapegoat.   Go for it.   It does deter attendees.   And I've stated before this didn't seem to be that way the first 2 years at the Embassy.   Just cuz I got lemon juice I don't got to call it lemonade.

But if I was running KnighthartCON.  I'd damn sure negotiate the entire hotel -- either by dates or going somewhere else.  But maybe I'm an over achiever!  

I'm probably only typing to the choir section so oh well.   

:). Thanks for reading.....

Unless they change the weekend it is held, they won't be able to do any better there in Denton. That is a regular event on that weekend for the college. So unless you can be fortunate enough to get one of the rooms in that block, you will either have to pay the full price to be on-site, or do as I do and stay at another local hotel. I too, wish it was different, but sadly, those are our only options.

• Like 1

Guys, there isn't another convention center in that area that can meet the needs of the convention and Reaper's budget. The cheapest option for renting convention centers at a hotel is generally a holiday weekend. Which is why, if you may note, that so many conventions are labor day weekend, including Dragoncon and NOVA.  Reaper generally wants to host a good time, and I know in the past they've just planned to hope to break even on the convention.  Other weekends would result in a loss, so are not possible or ideal.  Other convention centers are either not awesome (I'm looking at you strip mall convention center, blargh!) or more expensive and smaller, with less ideal classroom setups.  The hotel chooses how many rooms they will give in a block, not reaper.  I can't fault capitalism in action if Embassy Suites chooses to sell rooms at a higher price outside of the block.  Embassy is sort of a luxury hotel.  It's swanky.  Does it irritate me that they take advantage of people? Yes.  Is it unusual? No.  My feelings on the US business model lead me to believe this is not an isolated incident.

I cannot expect the hotel or reaper to lose money on something- that would not be sustainable.  Does it make things more complicated for attendees? Sure, and that sucks, I'm so sorry.  As a small business owner, I get the difficulty of negotiating with a larger business or corporation.  There is certainly a power level difference that makes it hard to get what you want.   Remember Reaper is a small business, no matter how much they seem to have grown into the internet in the last few years.  It's hard for the little guys to stay ahead.  (FYI, I own my own GYN practice, so the insurance companies don't give me much choice in what they pay me.  They tell me I should be grateful to get anything for my work! 😉 But, the hospital can't tell me what to do, so I call it a win.)

I get the frustration and I am so very sorry.  I wish I had better answers. But I do feel requesting a different venue would result in a less awesome convention.  I suspect the result would be higher admission prices and class prices to make up for the higher fees from the hotel management, plus a requirement to eat hotel meals, also adding to attendee costs. That would not be good. A smaller center would mean limited tickets, also not cool.  I'm so sorry folks are having a hard time getting a room, but knowing the background and situation, I can tell you that reaper has tried to negotiate the heck out of the hotel and then some.  It is not that they are not trying.  Adrienne works overtime on this.

Being frustrated by the situation is totally valid. I get it.  I wish there were something that could be done about it, I do.   I really do.  I never want to see folks have to reach beyond their means to have a good time.  It isn't right.  I am a firm believer in equity and justice.  The lawful good paladin in me gets pretty cranky when I feel folks are being treated unfairly.   I love teaching at reapercon. I hope to see everyone there who can come!

Hang in there guys. This has been a long few years with a lot of stressors.  Come September, we're going to throw a party and have a great time, no matter what. Hugs. I'll bring the chocolate.

(Also, er mods, if I am overstepping by speaking about reaper, please feel free to delete my post. sorry in advance.)

• Like 10

No worries, @Corporea.

@everyone else:

I get the stress and disappointment, believe me. Remember, we're all friends here (even if we haven't had the opportunity to meet in person). 

Posting thoughts and opinions is cool. Getting upset because you disagree is also ok, but getting short and/or snarky and posting in that frame of mind is not. Let's not get frustrated with one another, please.

• Like 2