My two Pumas (Pumae?) turned out okay, but I remain perplexed as to why Italeri made the suspension so fiddly but then also made the wheels hollow on the inner side.  If the wheels are hollow because you can't really see it, then the same holds true of the suspension.  If the suspension has fiddly detail then the wheels should not be hollow.  It's just such a weird combo.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Heisler said:

Because it’s a modeling company first and modelers like that kind of thing.

That explains the extra detail for the suspension, but does not explain the hollow half wheels.  That's what's weird about it.  If it was extra detail and complete wheels it would not be weird.  Similarly, if it was hollow half wheels and reduced suspension detail it would not be weird.  It's the combination of both extra invisible suspension detail and incomplete wheels that makes it an odd choice.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Had a great 500 point game last night (meaning I won!).  The nebelwerfer was a blast, and obliterated pretty much everything it managed to actually hit (only hits on a 6 on a d6).

This morning I started on a Puma. As this box had a flyer inside of it I now know the darker grey with round sprues are made by Italeri for Warlord Games.

The puma is an 8 wheel drive with dual steering.  It is good to know this for the game, but assembling all the drivetrain and suspension was a bit fiddley.

20220320_IMG_2746.jpg.3363964699424f99e27e6d10eae229f3.jpg

Especially as the wheels will hid almost all of it (unless you pick it up).
20220320_IMG_2747.jpg.ad787fe159324ebeeff5f951f7f2908e.jpg

That was enough for this morning.

Yah that is the problem with models. You build & paint things that get closed up & never be seen again.

Great looking kits!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

That explains the extra detail for the suspension, but does not explain the hollow half wheels.  That's what's weird about it.  If it was extra detail and complete wheels it would not be weird.  Similarly, if it was hollow half wheels and reduced suspension detail it would not be weird.  It's the combination of both extra invisible suspension detail and incomplete wheels that makes it an odd choice.  

I suspect that Italeri just took their drawings for their existing 1/35th scale Puma kit, reduced them down to the appropriate size and then simplified somethings because of the size. Just guesses, but basically they too the simplest approach possible which left some weird design choices when it was done.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Heisler said:

I suspect that Italeri just took their drawings for their existing 1/35th scale Puma kit, reduced them down to the appropriate size and then simplified somethings because of the size. Just guesses, but basically they too the simplest approach possible which left some weird design choices when it was done.

No, that would still not explain it since Italeri previously made an all-new 1/72 scale Puma so by the time they got to this Warlord one they had already done a reduced-scale version.  And the 1/72 scale one actually would have been a better plan template, being that it has both simplified suspension but also fully intact wheels.  This is my original point, that it is weird for Italeri to choose to overcomplicate something that wasn't necessary to do and also oversimplify parts that did not need the simplification.  (Italeri also sells a 1/48 Puma, but I could not determine if this is one they worked up or a rebox from somebody else so I didn't count it).  In any case, all three sprue layouts in question are unique to their respective scale plastic kits so none is a copy of any other, they were all laid out from scratch.  And to add even more oddity to the whole thing, this peculiar choice is not one Italeri made for the M8/M20 kit they make for Warlord - which has completely intact wheels.  None of this is expecially relevant to anything, since by and large all of the detail in question is mostly difficult to see, it was only worth noting in passing that it's a somewhat peculiar deliberate design choice for them to make when they have prior experience both larger and smaller.  It would make more sense if the suspension was also simplified like the 1/72 scale kit, or it would make sense to have the suspension build more like the 1/35 if the wheels were commensurately intact - but it does not make any sense to hollow out the wheels and also make extra fiddly detail where it won't be seen and is therefore not needed.  Instead it's like they made the simple part complex and the part that might have used more detail (being the more visible of the two) too simple and it's just weird that they did it this way.  

• Like 5

There is always the possibility that what you have on the 1/56th kit is a new designer on one of their first projects and its possible that they just made some weird choices. We always think we can design something better than they guys that have designed it before. There are plenty of examples in larger and smaller scales with similar situations, really detailed and fiddly designs that are completely hidden when it comes together, unless your intent is to model the changing of a tire or a track or make something removable so you can see the inside.

I love to push Rubicon kits for this reason. They are simple enough to be robust on the gaming table and still have enough detail to satisfy a someone modeling in that scale. I love the design of of Rubicon tracks and bogies because its so simple and leaves out all the suspension detail that we never see. That's not to say that they don't make some odd decisions, their PzKfw VIb King Tiger kit has a full interior. I'm going to build it anyway but what you are going to be able to see through the open hatches is miniscule.

Anyway I didn't mean to derail Jasper's thread. Bring on some more armor models!

• Like 5

On 3/20/2022 at 9:55 PM, buglips*the*goblin said:

My two Pumas (Pumae?) turned out okay, but I remain perplexed as to why Italeri made the suspension so fiddly but then also made the wheels hollow on the inner side.  If the wheels are hollow because you can't really see it, then the same holds true of the suspension.  If the suspension has fiddly detail then the wheels should not be hollow.  It's just such a weird combo.  

Pumas is the right plural here.

I used to build military models in my youth, the Puma was one of my favorite models together with the halftracks.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Heisler said:

Anyway I didn't mean to derail Jasper's thread. Bring on some more armor models!

No worries.  Was an interesting discussion to pop in while I'm way to busy with work to even look at the half built Puma over there.......

• Like 4

Puma progress tonight after I got home from playing SW Legion.

20220322_IMG_2756.jpg.2688c5ec5fdb654d1041bb9573781c7d.jpg

Just have to do the bits that go on the back end, and of course do the turret, and I'm done.

I wonder if I can fit it into a 500 point game on Thursday....

160 points, hmmm....

• Like 8

Had a free lunch break, so....

20220323_IMG_2758.jpg.531754e33908005a44ebeacb39ce31b2.jpg

Everything is on the hull, except the rear tow hooks.  The first one launched out of my tweezers into my paint racks, somewhere.....so I'm leaving them off.  I expect I'll find it someday.....

The turret needs a few greebles and the hatches attached.  I'll leave one up for the commander. (that's my normal plan, for the first one I get they get a body in the hatch.  Any others I get will be hatch down.

• Like 7

Finally got back to my desk (took a 3 day weekend to visit my folks for the first time since the fall) for a few minutes while watching a live stream for SW Legion tonight.
20220329_IMG_2770.jpg.164a986d7b67cadb7563dfd825893ac4.jpg

Finished up the last few pieces that needed attaching on the Puma, and started cleaning up the Panzer I Ausf. B.  It's so tiny!!

Obviously it is resin and pewter.  I'm not sure why it came with a turret in each material....

The connection for the turret to the body is pretty small and short, so I'm thinking magnets.
Just test fitting at this point, still a bit more clean up on the tracks and wheels before I glue them on.

• Like 8

Time to build minis, with SCIENCE!

20220401_IMG_2775.jpg.300e4aedf6fb47483225620d42a0bea6.jpg

On the left the Panzer I. I just had to drill out the original hole for the turret peg to fit the magnet.  The peg already had the hollow center, so I found a smaller magnet that would fit, and that way if my alignment is off a bit it will still work.

On the right, the light spider walker (for K47).  I went with the same technique of using a larger magnet in the body. It was that or measure the center of a circle accurately.......

I'll let the glue cure over night and hopefully have some time tomorrow.

• Like 7

More fun with magnets this morning.

Decided to go ahead and magnetize the panzer 4 for it's normal turret and the X version's (K47) Gravity Pulse Cannon. 

20220402_IMG_2776.jpg.5f6e940e5b70b1cebd464e1e7ae678c1.jpg

Conveniently the hole for the turret pins is just about the perfect size to cap it with one of my large magents.

20220402_IMG_2778.jpg.8ed4f4f105211f4403b5729a50e5606f.jpg

Used some Apoxie Sculpt to fill in the hole in the turret pin and pop in a magnet.  This would have been better to do before I cemented the bottom plate on, for future reference....

20220402_IMG_2782.jpg.c6df32b042cc87c350dbaa60113fbb6c.jpg

And just had to shave down the X turret a bit (it's resin) and drill out a hole.  I made it a little deep so used some extra Apoxie Sculpt for that one too.

I also finished up assembly on the Panzer I and the light spider walker.

20220402_IMG_2785.jpg.773b553c3c1a36217dac5ac31fc7c78d.jpg

And started cleaning up a Panzer II.

20220402_IMG_2783.jpg.5ed5b239b6bcf54058d0ccc3c09b3e84.jpg

The pieces are just pushed together here for a test fit.

• Like 5