3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

For WWII vehicles and Uniforms I would recommend Scale 75 War Front Paint Range.

As it is these are indeed a little too yellow.

Maybe use a brown wash? It would need to look more like sand.

I have the War Front paints for German tanks.  They are a pain to get here and they don't thin very well for the airbrush, which is why I'm looking at alternatives.

Their dunkelgleb is almost exactly the same colour as AP Skeleton Bone, which isn't yellow at all, but more of a beige/tan.

My goal is to come up with something I can buy locally (and in the winter) that will be "about right".

Since everyone's dunkelgleb seems to be different (and there was apparently some significant variance historically) it's all kind of *shrug* anyway.

The two German players within the province who posted pics of their armour when I was asking on the fb group are both fairly yellow.
I think I'll probably do a light coat of Skeleton Bone and see how that shifts things.

• Like 3

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went looking for the video from the Tank Museum, since I'd watched a video a couple of years ago where they showed a true, unfaded, sample of dunkelgleb.  Took a bit, but here is a screen cap:
image.thumb.png.56d2c34c0ba737cf2de7c9831f34453d.png

So yeah, much more desert-y.  I'll probably grab the AP Air colours that go around Skeleton Bone (Charred Bone and Bleached Bone).

I'm trying to stick to Army Painter Air for two reasons.  I can get it locally and I don't need to thin it for airbrushing.
Ordering in colours is a bit of pain these days, and I basically can't from late Oct until about now, without risking it freezing.

And I can NOT mix two batches of paint to the same consistency for airbrushing. If I get a batch that sprays well, the next batch (following the "same" formula) will either clog everything up or spray like water......

• Like 4

I know you said you'd prefer to use paints you can find locally and airbrush colors too but @Glitterwolf's idea could work. I've been using Reaper's Desert Stone for my desert bases and I'm really happy with it.20220426_082450.thumb.jpg.6b19ef442cbf9a14a2a1afd191ec27e7.jpg

I achieved this with just a basecoat of Reaper's Desert Stone, a wash of GW's Seraphim Sepia, and a quick drybrush of Reaper's Desert Stone. 

Also just wanted to say that even though I don't comment very often I enjoy watching your army batch projects. There's always something new to learn in each project.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Rat13 said:

I know you said you'd prefer to use paints you can find locally and airbrush colors too but @Glitterwolf's idea could work. I've been using Reaper's Desert Stone for my desert bases and I'm really happy with it.20220426_082450.thumb.jpg.6b19ef442cbf9a14a2a1afd191ec27e7.jpg

I achieved this with just a basecoat of Reaper's Desert Stone, a wash of GW's Seraphim Sepia, and a quick drybrush of Reaper's Desert Stone. 

Also just wanted to say that even though I don't comment very often I enjoy watching your army batch projects. There's always something new to learn in each project.

Those bases look great!
I've found my bottle of Desert Stone and I'll take it with me when I go look at paints later today.  I'm expecting that AP Air's Charred Bone will be similar:
AW3125___Charred_Bone___Img_nr._1_copy_b

• Like 5

Alrighty, colour test time.

20220426_IMG_2875.thumb.jpg.285a4db74eac0df7902ef7778e5bce30.jpg

So from left to right:
1) re-done with redbrown "primer" then a base of Charred Bone and then a mid of Skeleton Bone

2) re-done with redbrown "primer" then a base of Charred Bone

3) left the other yellows underneath with Charred Bone base

4) left the other yellows under, base of Charred Bone, mid of Skeleton Bone.

Which do you think?

• Like 4

I'm gonna say #2. Looking at some online paint chips & it compares to that pretty nicely. Thou #3 could also work. #1 seems to golden & #4, I'd say between 1 & 2.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, haldir said:

I'm gonna say #2. Looking at some online paint chips & it compares to that pretty nicely. Thou #3 could also work. #1 seems to golden & #4, I'd say between 1 & 2.

I  agree. I like 2 best too.  I've started going through the process for the rest.

And the spider walker, and a test 3D printed panzer 4.....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I think that will do for a basecoat.

20220428_IMG_2877.thumb.jpg.c9b6b949c4ed80f6b82a5b003da9ea2d.jpg

These guys are off for a battle as is tomorrow, then I've got a 4 day weekend so might do a little painting on them (or something else) during that.

I like these! Nice constant color.

• Like 3

Had a fun first game last night.  My nachtjager's didn't perform up to snuff, but that may just be me needing to figure out how to play them better, or at least roll better with them.
The nachtalben squad were beasts, taking out my opponent's light mech on turn one, then soaking 90% of the enemy's fire for the rest of the game and still having 2 troops standing at the end.

My spider walker stayed nice and safe near the back, mostly trying to kill his jeep.  Only took 4 tries.....

I've got a 4 day weekend, so hoping to get a little hobbying in, although there are other things that need doing to.

This morning I assembled my medium Herschrecke panzermech.

20220429_IMG_2884.thumb.jpg.365683ff632c7dfd349960c37ac81624.jpg

He's a hefty piece of kit.  We'll see if glue was enough or if I'll have to go back and pin and maybe epoxy.....(nachejager wings, definitely need to go back and pin.....)

And I pulled out and started cleaning up the Thor heavy panzermech.

20220429_IMG_2885.thumb.jpg.92d1b1bebd051269c0a9051a0fd29226.jpg

It's a 6 legged spider walker.  It shares the main hull and legs with the Zeus, but they have different main guns and the Zeus has extra front armor.

Pretty straightforward kit with just a hatch, officer and pintle machinegun in metal.  
I'll need to fix a slight warp in one corner of the bottom half of the hull, and get the magnet in for the turret.  Then there will be some minor gap filling when the hull comes together.

But over all a nice clean cast.

• Like 8

Haven't had a lot of time the last few days but have just managed to finish all the major assembly on the Zeus.

20220505_IMG_2895.jpg.d074db35b8e13e121a04671b0e24131e.jpg

20220505_IMG_2897.jpg.08d5dd41527a7adee2bdc00194593ccc.jpg

And I contacted Warlord Games on the weekend and was able to get the Zeus X turret ordered without having to shell out for a whole additional Zeus, which was awesome news.  So I should have the heavy railgun turret next week.

I had a chat with one of my friends today and he is very eager to get a game of Tank Wars (basically Bolt Action, but you pretty much just run tank platoons) before my surgery.  So we are trying to get everything assembled for Thursday next week.  So I need to start cranking out some big tanks!

20220505_IMG_2899.jpg.ef2e9016832d284c96b98347e5fc17b5.jpg

Started on the King Tiger tonight.  This is the K47 King Tiger with the Heavy Railgun turret, but it also comes with the normal plastic parts to build either the  Porsche or Henschel turret, so I'll be building the Henschel one, because I like the looks better.  Which one you build has no impact on the game.

But, because I will be able to swap to the Heavy railgun, which is that big chunk of resin with that hefty metal barrel attached, I want to add some weight to the bottom of the hull before putting the top on, so that's were I stopped for the night.

I'll probably glue in some pennies or something tomorrow; it was a little late to go looking for change tonight.

• Like 8

Some progress on the King Tiger last night.

My 15 cent solution to adding some weight to the hull.
20220506_IMG_2905.thumb.jpg.4768153f4381f866ac75656d5417abc1.jpg

So I got the hull completed.
20220506_IMG_2903.jpg.da7538cfecef7baa4a3b7732d1acbce0.jpg

I was glad I'd decided to go with the Henschel turret, since I don't believe the X turret would fit with the turret ring protectors required for the Porsche turret. This doesn't seem to be documented on the box or anything, and wouldn't be in the assembly book as it is just the one for the standard BA King Tiger.

I'd planned to finish assembling the X turret last night, but while cleaning up the resin turret I managed to get my thumb pretty good with the hobby knife, so I decided I'd done enough.

We talked about our Tank War last night and looks like I've got 2 weeks to get the rest of my tanks done and ready. So the next two weeks is likely to just be tanks being assembled and priming/base coating with the airbrush. As I'd been focusing on "little" tanks that I could actually run in a 500-750 point game, this will mostly be Tigers, Panthers and some Panzer IVs.  I do have 1 Stug III and a Panzer III that might slip in as well. Oh, and my Stuka zu Fuss.....

• Like 7

As expected, more assembly.

During a call I had time to finish assembly of the Heavy Rail Gun for the King Tiger.

20220506_IMG_2908.jpg.efd26df7c084eec67885fb8b08ece2c6.jpg

Mmmm, rail gun.....

After work I got the regular ol super heavy tank gun turret assembled, except for the commander and pintle machinegun. They'll go on later.

20220506_IMG_2910.jpg.3787953259a3de481d990c8895d22aff.jpg

After supper I started tackling the "stuka zu fuss"... officially the Wurfrahmen 40.
20220506_IMG_2912.jpg.0606f47cf791bec7cb0859eca82ead3b.jpg

It's an older resin and metal kit and is showing it's age a bit.  I'll have to fix up the bottom front of the hull, as there was bubbling and is a bit incomplete.

And no indexing for the tracks so you have to try to get them lined up and the same height.

The rocket box thingies will take the most cleanup.  They have a lot of leaked metal in places it shouldn't be.  

20220506_IMG_2914.jpg.256ab7777944282f8fe576432e116f16.jpg

I got the tracks and front wheels on, and started cleaning up the rocket box things.  After that got annoying I pulled out my Panzer III kit and started on it.  I'm looking at a model L for this build, probably without the Schürzen.

Looks like I'll have to pick up a few more Panzer IIIs in the future; lots of options.

Time for a break.

• Like 8