Looking at the big rail gun on the King Tiger, I have a question. With it being a metal casting going onto a plastic hull, does the weight eventually cause any distortion?

• Like 3

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Looking at the big rail gun on the King Tiger, I have a question. With it being a metal casting going onto a plastic hull, does the weight eventually cause any distortion?

I'm gonna go with "I hope not".
Good point though.  I'm going to plan to not store it with that turret on, and just pop it on for K47 games.  Definitely won't transport it with the rail gun attached, since that's when most unexpected stress gets put on bits.

This morning I finished up the Panzer III.

20220507_IMG_2919.jpg.68a09eff902cf15fff436815176dc969.jpg

Not my favorite kit to put together but looks fine once done.  A bit too many fiddly bits and with all the options there are easily 20-30 places where you might need to drill out spots for options on certain models.

I did manage to lose the tiny little bit next to the hatch there on the turret for the other side.  Was picking it up with tweezers and heard it ping off a paint bottle somewhere.  Guess they broke the one on the other side at some point.....

Next tank will likely be a Tiger I, as it is on top of the pile....

• Like 7

Tiger I started.

20220507_IMG_2922.jpg.dde0bfeeb417c8ff0029c7675bbc6079.jpg

So far this is probably the best kit I've done so far. Part of that is that there is little in the way of options.... I think I can leave the mud guards off if I like... as this only build the Ausf. E.
And the tank treads are by far the best I've done so far. They index really well and everything pretty much locks into place.  No guessing or needing to be extra careful aligning everything.

• Like 7

Spent some time with my airbrushes this weekend.

20220509_IMG_2931.jpg.31d2ea4e07810e0e5281b934d05c2ef1.jpg

So of these got primed, others already were.  Then they all got a coat of AP Air Husk Brown, which I'm using as the German "primer" red-brown.

There are 5 more tanks and 3 walkers in various states of partially to nearly "primed" with the red-brown as well, but I ran out of Husk Brown.

Waiting to hear back from the store flgs if they have more in stock.....

The AP Air Charred Bone will go over the red-brown next.

And I started on a Panther.

20220509_IMG_2929.jpg.0500092f7c7f1e51654fb7eb59923c13.jpg

So far pretty much my least favorite kit.  The tracks come in two pieces, and so far are almost impossible to join up without a bit of a gap. Luckily the treads will eventually be muddy/dirty, so that can get covered up....

Also, the instruction sheet for the Panther shows all the parts, but seems to be missing the arrows showing where they actually go, so it might get a little trickier than usual.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, chaosscorpion said:

Jasper, 

You are just so prolific with your progress on all your projects!

Great stuff

Thanks, I wish I was getting more finished, but with a pretty tight window until I'm going to be unable to, getting what I need for a big tank battle is more important....

My wife was away at lunch so I got the Panther almost finished.
20220510_IMG_2933.jpg.b58b848b3c054b8cfaeed5d3d6d082ec.jpg

By squinting at the other diagrams I was able to figure out pretty much where everything goes. The barrel connection is fairly flimsy compared to others so hopefully it will stay together.

Should be able to finish this up tonight and decide what is next.
At some point I should actually figure out what I'm fielding next week and focus on that, I suppose.....

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Corsair said:

If the Panther's barrel is hollow, could you run a brass rod up it?

It's only hollow the end of the muzzle brake.

The issue is at the end where it joins inside the protective armor and everything.  Pretty much all of them use a T piece that can rotate so you can only glue the stem of the T and therefore change the elevation of the gun.  On other kits the stem is quite long and has a nice deep socket to connect to, so you have a very strong connection even before gluing.  On the Panther it is a quite short stem with just and indent by comparison.  Still, it seems to be holding, so far.

• Like 3

A little more red-brown got sprayed tonight, as I picked up the last bottle at the flgs.  I focused on the tanks since that's what I'm using next week. I'll take picks of them tomorrow....

I also finished up the Panther:

20220511_IMG_2934.jpg.be06a3bd848456d0212eded390c2a7ec.jpg

And got started on the Stug III

20220511_IMG_2936.jpg.ac8c16df31405f8389998c4c639c685f.jpg

Not likely getting anything much done tomorrow as I have to actually go in to the office, and then we're going to see the new Dr. Strange movie in the evening.

• Like 8

Was away a few days, finally finished assembling the StuG III last night.

20220517_IMG_2946.jpg.fa527482a3608de8f3c7bbaefc0d9c3a.jpg

Might put the Schürzen on later after I get it base painted. Definitely not before Thursday's battle.

Up next I'll be starting on the dark yellow on all the ones I "primed" red-brown last week.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Much airbrushing later......
20220518_IMG_2955.jpg.67df14ade4684b585a18812f6cc814ad.jpg

I won't be fielding ALL of that tomorrow, that's well over 3000 points.....

That is allot of airbrushing. I really need to get my setup going again. I think I'm close to 2 years since I had paint flow through a 'brush...jeesh.

Is your booth, one of those folding, pop-up ones? If so, have you sprayed harsher paints like lacquers in it? How did it do?

• Like 3