Am I alone in buying pretty much only reaper minis?

tommyzolla

17 hours ago, buckyball said:

When I need something to fill out my collection, I usually look at Reaper first. If I need a specific character mini or monster Reaper usually has something close.

But the miniatures lines I collect are Mithril and Dark Sword.

buckyball

I just checked out Dark Sword, got super excited, chucked a bunch of the R.R.Martin figures in my cart, grabbed a couple of cool Bobby Jackson sculpts, convinced myself I needed a heap of different characters for campaigns I haven't written yet... and realised they don't ship to Australia 😑

• Sad 7

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, tommyzolla said:

I just checked out Dark Sword, got super excited, chucked a bunch of the R.R.Martin figures in my cart, grabbed a couple of cool Bobby Jackson sculpts, convinced myself I needed a heap of different characters for campaigns I haven't written yet... and realised they don't ship to Australia 😑

You probably know this already, but it's near impossible to get anything to Australia  right now.  Rates for small packages start around $45 because air/express is the only option.  So a lot of companies have simply stopped shipping. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Thanks to the five Kickstarters, I've got a bottomless pile of shame of almost "20" miniatures, and I'd say over half are Reaper Bones, most of the rest are divided between Wargames Atlantic multi-part plastic, and Mantic Terrain Crate dungeon dressing, with a smattering of pre-painted and other plastic minis from the D&D and Pathfinder collectible minis, and some board-game minis, Dungeons & Lasers dungeon dressing and minis, Wildspire heroic townsfolk and animals, and some Frostgrave, Stargrave, Oathmark, Victrix, and other multi-part kits, and some big batch of Lovecraft monsters from a Sandy Petersen Kickstarter a couple years ago.  

Reaper, Wargames Atlantic, the Wildspire townsfolk, and the Dungeons & Lasers animal companions are my favorites - Reaper for the monsters and characters and for the Chronoscope minis, Wargames Atlantic for the bits and niche fantasy fantasy and sci-fi army stuff for bulk NPCs characters, and Wildspire and the D&L animals for the NPCs and familiars.

I think maybe 90% of my traditional fantasy mini pile-of-shame are Reaper Bones.

I think I need to admit I have a problem:  I keep telling myself I'll reduce the size of my collection, but it never really seems to happen....

• Like 5

My collection is comprised of literally thousands of figures, ranging from Lance and Laser, Grenadier, and Ral Partha from the good old days when everything was lead, thousands of points worth of several GW armies, all the way up to almost every Bones figure ever produced as well as a healthy topping of Reaper's metal offerings, too. I haven't gotten into 3D printing yet, but I do have a handful (literally) of 3D printed figures. I couldn't even begin to guess which manufacturer makes up the majority of my collection.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm slowly accumulating a complete run of Dark Heaven Legends figs.  I currently have #2000 to #3688 and counting.  It's been a work in progress for some years now.  If I had to guess, the bulk of my ever expanding hoard is made up of Reaper and Ral Partha figs.

The Egg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I couldn't even begin to guess which manufacturer makes up the majority of my collection.

Although the majority of the stuff I buy to paint is Reaper, the stuff I collect is mostly Ral Partha - I probably have at least as much old Partha stuff as Reaper, but I'm not intending to paint any of it.

• Like 4

I'd say my collection might be 30-40% Reaper, due to the first KS I backed, and all of the other metals I've collected. I like to collect from smaller companies, I have a lot from some now-defunct ones. I just like the variety. A lot of it has to do with what looks good and the material in which it is cast. Bones has never been my favorite material, but I like the Bones USA plastic. I haven't purchased much of anything this year except for some 3d prints... and that was a dangerous path because now all I want are things that need printed.

• Like 4

As far as figures purchased for (fantasy) gaming goes, then yes, a huge percentage of my minis are Reaper.  That said I've collected quite a few minis from others such as Dark Sword, Hasselfree, etc, resin minis just for painting, 75mm figures, some GK, and a lot of 3D files in the last year, none of which are Reaper.

• Like 4

My collection is pretty heavily mixed, Reaper is the one who made most of my metal minis for sure.

I think that Mantic might be the maker of the majority of my minis though...I'd bought one of their early undead army boxes for Kings of War and got most of a second from someone else (And a few others for conversions)...painted the first, the second was more of a friend who no longer wanted to play and wanted rid of the minis. I'd used them for a counts as Vampire Counts army for the troops there, using a few other companies for a lot of the specific units though I did get a few GW heroes for it. GW might come second, due to various games in the past that I still have (GorkaMorka, 40K, Mordheim, LotR, and a few other pieces from other games)...I'm pretty sure that Reaper comes 3rd and WotC comes in 4th (Mainly due to the prepainted Star Wars and D&D minis...mainly Star Wars because I have a LOT of those...and might actually beat the Reaper ones in numbers), then comes the WizKids D&D/Pathfinder stuff which is a mix of painted and unpainted...

Then, actually, would be Fantasy Flight with the Star Wars: Legion stuff...though that's mainly because I finally got rid of the pile of the grey alien mini that I had stashed from when I was involved in trying to run a convention and someone had the bright idea to have a special mini for it and bought a pretty massive pile of them to give out.

• Like 4

On 3/1/2022 at 3:53 AM, tommyzolla said:

…it feels like I'll be a Reaper man for life. 

Has anyone else had this realisation? 

I am close to this. 

But, I did buy some GamesW fantasy models right before Xmas. (Which means before most recent price increase…yay?)

Otherwise I have cut back to just Reaper pretty exclusively. 

• Like 3

My hoard is definitely Reaper heavy, followed closely by wizkids(which is an almost 50/50 mix of un-painted and pre-painted - Trying to collect as many of the Critical Role minis as I can as well). I have a few batches of minis from random kickstarters and a score of old legos and weird toys that I've salvaged and need to either kitbash or fix up for the tabletop. Recently I got an order of Irowind Metals, and I have a cart almost ready with Darksword Miniatures. I have a diorama planned that is missing ONE model which no ones makes that I will either have to commission or attempt to sculpt myself as the pose and clothing are so specific, I'm having a hard time finding suitable kitbash options.

My wishlists are still pretty long and I've got minis up to my ears, but there are a few holes in my monster line up as well as some that I want purely for display. My biggest hang up right now is storage and display. Bones 6 is gonna add to that issue but I love Reaper too much to not join in. I'm also a paint addict and I'm hoping for some new/revived colors.

• Like 3

Before Reaper, I had dozens of miniatures from the 90s, mostly Ral Partha. Then came the Kickstarters.

I was there at Bones 1. I went full in, and it became a rabbit hole. Then through Kickstarter and ReaperCon, other miniature companies made themselves known to me (meaning I own something of each of them):

• Talon Games,
  • Darksword Miniatures,
  • Midlam Miniatures,
  • Stonehaven Miniatures,
  • King Games,
  • Tomb Guardians,
  • Galladoria Games,
  • Lead Adventure Miniatures,
  • Oathsworn Miniatures,
  • Antediluvian Miniatures,

• Zenit Miniatures.,

• Bombshell Miniatures,

• Impact! Miniatures,

• Thunderbolt Mountain,

• Crucible Crush Productions,

• Red Box Games.

And then... endless 3D STL models! 😱

Reaper may have the lion's share of my hoard, especially with five Bones Kickstarter campaigns under my belt and countless orders over the last decade, the other companies have made a place for themselves.

Curiously, WizKids miniatures are pretty much the only minis I've purchased in FLGS as they're the only non-wargame fantasy minis available around here.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6

I got into painting minis around the time of the first Reaper Bones Kickstarter.  I pledged in 3 of them, so yeah, that’s the vast majority of the ones I own.  Then I got into painting metal minis, still Reaper.  And most of the paints I own are Reaper’s too.  I’d say about 80% of my collection is Reaper.

Reaper minis are affordable, and they’re made by a US company with great customer service.  What more could you ask for?

• Like 4

The older parts of my collection are mostly Reaper when they were what I knew best and was most comfortable painting, and two Bones kickstarters have me rolling in whatever I need to throw on a tabletop. But the more I paint, the less Reaper figures call out to me on average. They're still my go-to if I need a nice tabletop figure, or someone asks - Reaper is extremely good at tabletop sculpts that are sculpted to be tame to paint in general. However, for 28-32mm figures that are a bit more display style, Dark Sword has caught me more frequently. I'm becoming more of a display painter lately in general, and so I'm seeking Reaper figures less. I still have a lot of my collection of Reaper paint, and I'll try a new bottle of theirs here or there, but I'm more interested in expanding other lines of paint for the sake of different properties now. Reaper makes great easy to use paint, and some bottles I have from them are my favorites. I'm more comfortable mixing subtle differences now, so Reaper's insanely wide line has become too wide for me I think. If I see a color that strikes my fancy I'll give it a whirl, but I'm no longer seeking All The Reaper Paint.

They'll always win for pleasing user-friendly sculpts for the tabletop for me, and their paints are very good user friendly ones. They fit the niche the best in the industry for that purpose. I just have changed as a painter a bit. I always come back occasionally 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1