Getting to know you March 2022

Werkrobotwerk

On 3/22/2022 at 2:34 PM, Great Khan Artist said:

22 March: There has been lots of chatter over in the Bones 6 Enthusiasm and Commentary thread. Recently revealed--lots of zombies in the core set. Some people are less than enthused to have yet more zombies, which leads us to today's question: Is there a creature that you can't seem to have enough miniatures of?

Ancient Egyptian Humans

1 minute ago, Great Khan Artist said:

23 March: Do you have a "Shelf of Shame"? Which mini has been languishing on it the longest? 

Shelf of shame, not really, it's the boxes of shame that do me in

Minis languishing the longest...18mm ancient greeks...30 years and counting

• Like 9

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

23 March: Do you have a "Shelf of Shame"? Which mini has been languishing on it the longest? 

Nope, I don't believe in the shame of having projects get put to the side due to lack of interest.  I'd rather the mini sit there and wait for abut than burn out on trying to finish something I've no interest in. 

Some try to refer to the backlog of untouched unopened kits as a shelf of shame, but to me it's a shelf of inspiration and infinite possibilities. 

Do I like to finish projects?  Oh yeah, I definitely do.  I also want to be genuinely enjoying myself and relaxing while I do.... The very thing that helps me relax. 

... No mini has "languished" although some would argue that stuff I picked up way back in 2005 and 2006 would be the longest, however there's also the fact that a part of me has seriously considered just selling such things and calling the project over due to total lack of interest in it. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I have a Cabinet Of Unfinished Things.

Nothings been in there too long now (I gave it a clear out a little while ago), I think it's a tie between my final GW Blight King and a Reaper dude holding a skull, who have both been in there for several years at this point.

• Like 8

On 3/22/2022 at 4:34 AM, Great Khan Artist said:

22 March: There has been lots of chatter over in the Bones 6 Enthusiasm and Commentary thread. Recently revealed--lots of zombies in the core set. Some people are less than enthused to have yet more zombies, which leads us to today's question: Is there a creature that you can't seem to have enough miniatures of?

Vampires.

Mummies.

Dinosaurs.

Female Pirates.

6 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Not really a shelf, there are some things on my desk that need to get finished though.

I'm a bit stuck on a diorama I'm building with a crypt and an undead couple.

Also I have been postponing finishing Gryphina, the pin up birdgirl from artisan guild, I just can't get it right it seems.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Yes and no...

I generally agree with this opinion:

6 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Nope, I don't believe in the shame of having projects get put to the side due to lack of interest.  I'd rather the mini sit there and wait for abut than burn out on trying to finish something I've no interest in. 

Some try to refer to the backlog of untouched unopened kits as a shelf of shame, but to me it's a shelf of inspiration and infinite possibilities. 

Do I like to finish projects?  Oh yeah, I definitely do.  I also want to be genuinely enjoying myself and relaxing while I do.... The very thing that helps me relax. 

... No mini has "languished" although some would argue that stuff I picked up way back in 2005 and 2006 would be the longest, however there's also the fact that a part of me has seriously considered just selling such things and calling the project over due to total lack of interest in it. 

....while at the same time having miniatures that are older than a  lot of you, still waiting for paint.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Since everything is in the basement when not being actively worked on, it’s more like a “Dungeon of Dismay”, but yes, indeed I do.

I really have no idea what’s been there the longest.  I generally set things up on craft sticks in groups:

41A09D84-2431-449B-91AC-09D6210F33E0.jpeg.1608d6670b11ac62c106d00cd4301d84.jpeg

Sometime around 1996 I ordered (during a sale) one each of the Foundry Normans, Saxons and Vikings that started off officially as some sort of WHFB thing.  Judging from the priming technique (black wash over a grey brush-on primer) I probably got them assembled and on sticks promptly.  I have two sticks, this one and one parked at the office, which I have yet to finish.  I finished one of the ones from the office grouping just a couple of years ago. Somewhere in the Dungeon of Dismay (because I saw it last week when looking for something else) I have a Citadel/Ral Partha Imports mounted and foot illusionist (FA11 and FAC11) that’s been languishing a similar amount of time.  So, I can’t really tell, but almost certainly there are a dozen or more that have been on hold for 25+ years.  I should see if I can make it to the club Saga meeting next month, to collect a little inspiration on the Normans etc.

<<Later addition: I also have a plastic bag of generally unpainted Airfix Robin Hood figures dating back before 1975, some of which have a sprayed base coat.  I did fish a couple of the clean ones out of there and paint them up within the last two or three years, so that might count as the oldest depending on definitions…that’d be at least 45 years, and I know a lot of you aren’t that old. 😂>>

Edited by Rob Dean
Additional thought
  • Like 9

7 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

At this point, it's a Storage Room of Shame Untapped Potential! There are a couple of reaper miniatures that I grabbed about 15 years ago, when I wanted to learn about painting but had no clue where to start until after I met everyone at Bones 3 kickstarter.

• Like 7

Absolutely. Most are in a Snapware box, which is sitting on a storage shelf. The oldest may be one of the dragonman that come in the Dragonmen of Varanadar box set from 12 years ago. Not really ashamed of it though. It's a old paint job, I didn't write down the colors I was using, and I just don't have the attention span to go finish it. Maybe someday. I'm more ashamed of the unopened boxes and blisters that I have yet to even open, just sitting in totes waiting... but that is my treasure stash, not the "Shelf of Shame."

• Like 7

Depends on how you define that. I tend not to think of any of the minis I have in storage as my "shelf of shame" as that's just future projects. But if you mean those projects that have received paint but been set aside for one reason or another (my definition) then nothing really. I've been pretty good at finishing up projects in the order that I start them in recent months. The trailer from the Bones V Chronoscope set almost ended up as a "shelf of shame" miniature recently as it sat for about two months in a corner of my desk with only a single layer of paint. But I had an idea for it a couple of weeks ago and once I knew what to do it with it, it got finished up pretty quickly.

• Like 7

3B856207-FB23-49F1-84AA-6DF8CA084943.jpeg.a0264d057ce00245e561fe9f997bbda5.jpeg

OK, as noted above, upon further consideration, I recalled that I do have this bag of old plastic.  The green and cream colored Robin Hood figures are pre-1975 vintage, and some of them are technically partially painted, though the Humbrol has a strong tendency to flake off the soft plastic figures.  The medium brown Robin Hood figures are leftovers from a retro/nostalgia project from around the turn of the century, but the originals have been languishing at least 45 years.  I did pull out a couple and paint them within the past few years.

<<Looks like 2019: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/84801-winter-is-here-february-2019-goals/&do=findComment&comment=1795904>>

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 8

On 3/21/2022 at 10:34 PM, Great Khan Artist said:

Trolls; for some reason I cannot get enough trolls.  I simply love them.  Strange that I have never tried to sculpt one; I may have to remedy that soon.

9 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Oh, heavens yes...shelf...and closet...and cabinet behind the back bench...

Longest would be a dragon from a Ral Partha boxed set that I started painting in 1991 but abandoned due to the pressures of my senior year of college and never went back to.

On the sculpting shelf of shame 

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I have an incredibly large painting table (it's an entire dining room table), and there are certainly things on it gathering dust. Most infamously is my GW mumak. I say this because my friends from Church like to check out the table when they come over, and the latest comment was: "Hey, that elephant is still there." I've never painted anything that big before, so I don't know what to do with him. So much skin! Wargames Illustrated March has an article on painting your elephant, and I'm desperatly trying to add it to the hoard. 

I also have a closet full of goodies, lots and lots of GW LotR minis in there. I have discovered that painting Reaper and Crocodile Games minis is much more fun. I really should finish my boxed set from the Hobbit movie. The closet also has piles of things to make terrain out of. My most pathetic terrain project is a step pyramid of Hirst Arts. It would be finished now if I hadn't sent a pile of blocks to Buckyball (which was totally worth it, BTW, his finished project was great to see.) It dates back to early winter. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

No, shelves are reserved for finished models, mostly special ones like gifts or contest entries.   I have tubs of minis dating back to the early 80's, the older stuff I passed on to someone from the forum about a decade ago.  

My Desk of Despair has current models, some go back 2-3 years, but generally stuff does not sit for ages once I start on it.  I've got one of the early Bones female giants that a friend started and gave to me, and two of Yephima the first which I can't get the skin right on, a GW griffon with rider (that may be the oldest one), and the sphinx in progress.  They're all on the large side, which is a bit intimidating, time wise. More space for detail, and more likely to get looked at. They'll get finished when the stars are right. 

• Like 8