Getting to know you March 2022

Werkrobotwerk

9 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

26 March: When you buy minis, do you plan your purchases ahead or do you buy what tickles your fancy?

These days, it's a whole lot of planning ahead. With shipping being what it is (remember, I count as international) I plan to make BIG orders from anyone who doesn't offer free shipping. For buying from Reaper, it's a delicate balance of getting just the right amount to get free shipping, but staying under the hundred dollar mark so customs doesn't ding me. 

I am more prone to impulse buying paints than anything. So many pretty colours! 

8 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Well, recently Games Workshop personally threatened me with a brand new Horus Heresy boxed set, so I guess I'm forewarned to fortify my bank account.

Have you seen the Adeptacon previews? I like all of them. Sadly, the amber monster comes with a whole bunch of other terrain I'll never use, so I'll have to pass on that one. 

• Like 8

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Do you ever recycle minis from prior games if the new things have failed to arrive?  Do you ever let the collection of miniatures in-hand ‘plan’ the next few encounters?

Most definitely! I have allot of minis, but I don't have allot of multiples of certain creatures, so ordering commences. Also there are times when the right mini is out there for how I want that encounter to look. Good example is Reaper's Slithe Queen (DHL: 2902)

02902_G.jpg

I've had this mini for like, forever & I remember I had it for "Final Enemy" the Ghost of Saltmarsh adventure I'm running for my Weds group. Due to this mini, I changed up the way that adventure is handled. She is the true power of the sahuagin, she has a bit more then the standard "baron" type & I even added in anther slithe mini  (2419) as her personnel bodyguard.

Most of the sahuagin minis have been Nolzur's for commons, the weaponless one in that pack as spellcaster types & Tiik Champion as Sahuagin champions. I did bring in a couple prepainted sahuagins to represent certain named ones & the baron himself is the new B5 large Slithe mini. I've also used a few others but this what I've been bringing up there for a couple of months now. With the cancellation last Weds, I took the time to actually spray some color on both the queen & her bodyguard. I'm gonna try & throw a wash on to them today.

Hopefully after next Weds, my group will finally be able to move on to the next adventure (a side adventure that fills the 8 to 10 gap in the GoS hardback. It'll involve a remote island & yuan-ti!)

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

26 March: When you buy minis, do you plan your purchases ahead or do you buy what tickles your fancy?

Yes.

If I have a need, I will plan my purchase.

When shopping after the need I will buy what tickles my fancy.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Have you seen the Adeptacon previews? I like all of them. Sadly, the amber monster comes with a whole bunch of other terrain I'll never use, so I'll have to pass on that one. 

Yes, I watched it live. Three were a heck of a lot of great reveals and huge boxes, the Necromunda one in particular is looking good. There was a leak of the Horus Heresy box back in August, and only now GW is officially announcing it.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I usually have some sort of plan.  The problem at my house isn’t the planning as such; it’s that I have three or four plans for every one that actually gets executed.  I’ve also been in this hobby long enough to expect that it’s possible (likely?) that the company I’m about to buy from may not be in business when I get back around to executing the plan, so I try to buy “everything” all at once, or at least ensure that I can do something (usually run some sort of game) with the material from the first purchase.  So a failed (or pending) project has a tendency to take up a bunch of space.  I’ve got, for example, a dozen boxes of 1/72 scale early 18th century stuff from Zvezda downstairs, to do a more portable imagi-nations game.  (I think it’s 3 infantry, 2 cavalry and 1 artillery box each for two countries.). Given the current world situation, it is unlikely that Zvezda products will be available again anytime soon, so I guess it’s good that I’m set.  

The unkind version of the answer to this question is that I buy whatever tickles my fancy, but it’s just in LARGE lots. 😆

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Probably a mix of the two.  Most companies are international and don't really offer that great of shipping rates... 

As for gunpla, I keep a list of what I want and the general priority they have over others because acquiring stock of such has been a tedious affair to say the least. 

• Like 6

On 3/25/2022 at 11:57 PM, Great Khan Artist said:

I usually go for one or two specific minis; then I get caught up in mini purchasing enthusiasm and add another dozen impulse minis & stuff...the Devil makes me do it!

• Like 9

27-28 March: Reaper Ron talked about a 3 stage mini, (you can see a photo in the Bones 6 Enthusiasm thread) like an adventurer at the beginning, middle and end of his career. Is there an existing Reaper mini that you think would be an amazing 3 stager? Or design your own. [My weekend is Sun-Mon ;-)}

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

27-28 March: Reaper Ron talked about a 3 stage mini, (you can see a photo in the Bones 6 Enthusiasm thread) like an adventurer at the beginning, middle and end of his career. Is there an existing Reaper mini that you think would be an amazing 3 stager? Or design your own. [My weekend is Sun-Mon ;-)}

This guy:

https://www.reapermini.com/search/viking/latest/02556

As shown, he seems like he might be just starting out, so 2 upgrades ( to mid level, and then high level ).

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Great Khan Artist said:

The adventurer kids would be a good choice for this, methinks.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Squire,Knight,King

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Baby jellyfish, flumph, stack of pancakes

• Haha 7

On 3/25/2022 at 11:57 PM, Great Khan Artist said:

If I order from Reaper, where free shipping to Canada is currently at $80 USD, I have to plan my needs.

If I'm in a FLGS, my fancy is far easier to tickle.

• Like 7

Squire Forscale.

Sir Forscale.

High Lord Forscale.

I also like the other ideas of having the adventuring children growing up. Child sidekick -> Hotheaded Teenager -> Full adult hero.

• Like 8

My favorite Reaper mini for gaming is Akbeth, 02625. He was the first mini I painted for my Egyptian campaign, and he is my Ranger for Rangers of Shadow Deep. I would love to see him as a teenager, with a sidelock (which was a real Egyptian thing for youths) and a ganglier, leaner figure; in his current sculpt as an adult, and with more jewelry and the crown of Two Kingdoms holding a crook and flail for his high level version.  

• Like 6