Getting to know you March 2022

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

10 March: Keep it secret, keep it safe. Do you share your love of all things miniature and painted with the world, or do you keep it to just yourself and a few internet hobby friends? 

I have been running Battletech for over 30 years, most of those as a Demo Team member. So yup, public about it.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

10 March: Keep it secret, keep it safe. Do you share your love of all things miniature and painted with the world, or do you keep it to just yourself and a few internet hobby friends? 

I used to be secret about my hobbies to people that were "outside the ring" but these days I'm all about being a member of the cult of hobbies that I adore. I do say game master over dungeon master thou, as I think that helps outsiders know what I do with the game.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I am a big fan of:

Rule 4:

“The best way to keep a secret? Keep it to yourself. Second best? Tell one other person - if you must. There is no third best.”

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I'm pretty open with what my hobby is, even if most people don't get it.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I mostly share it with you, and I've taught a few others when the FLGS was still open. The world does not understand the ways of our kind and reacts to it with ignorance and superstition, and only through the works of Saint Cavill and others do they finally become enlightened.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

It really depends on who we're talking about.  Someone random?  Odds are I won't say a thing.  Coworkers?  They tend to hear about various projects I'm working on....  Especially my boss, but he encourages people being involved in hobbies, and enjoys seeing what people are up to (plus it's a welcome change to the conspiracy theories one or two employees sends him every now and then) 

I'd say I'm secretive but the thing is I just need to see the opportunity and then I tend not to shut up about it... 😛

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I am sorry that I haven't answered most of the questions until now; re, I just couldn't come up with anything. So HOORAY!, a question to which I can respond.

I am open about my craft with just about everyone I know. It, The Craft that is, is such a large part of who I am that to know me is to know what I do & I don't wish to pass anonymously through life. All The Girls at my bank, the folks at the restaurants Cap'n John & I haunted, all my friends & acquaintances have Mushrooms & miniatures that I have created. I post photos of my stuff on a variety of fora plus FaceBook. SO I am not at all secret about my love.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Pretty open about it.  I don't post pics to my FB feed or anything, but then I don't post pics of anything to my FB feed.  But the 20+ miniatures related FB groups I'm in presumably make it pretty obvious.
In person, well, I'm an introvert, so I try to avoid that in general with people I don't know.  So talking about me isn't much of a thing......

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

People who know me personally know I paint and game.  Most aren't interested so I don't "share" much.  I tend to keep it to the hobby groups I'm in.   Likewise, I'm a quilter, and people know, but I don't post those pics here or go on rants about fabric stores in this forum. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I'm thinking at this point all of my family and friends know what my hobbies are. And probably about half of my coworkers know as well. Can't really keep it a secret when my wife, who worked in the same building as me prior to the pandemic, had a desk covered in mouslings. I don't think a lot of people would even consider it odd these days. So many people are into gaming of one sort of another now, and a lot of games use miniatures. 

That's not to say I actively go around talking about it very often. But when asked, I certainly don't try and hide it or even feel uncomfortable about it. 

Edited by Thoramel
  • Like 9

14 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I'll share it, no need to hide it.

Surprisingly there are Officers and Pilot at my work who like what I do and one Pilot actually paints Warhammer Space Marines himself.

• Like 7

On 3/7/2022 at 10:10 PM, Great Khan Artist said:

So we've given up painting the minis in space and are now just shooting each other with paintballs and thowing paint bombs, eh? It's only a matter of time before someone adds glitter to the mix. Since this has clearly malfunctioned the spaceship and she is screaming at me, we are taking the nearest convienently created rainbow temporal anomaly and heading to Ancient Egypt. 

8 March: Egyptians were buried with shabti, little figures designed to come to life and work in lieu of the deceased in the Field of Reeds. Which Reaper mini(s) would you choose for your shabti?

This guy:

https://www.reapermini.com/search/torch/latest/77140

On 3/8/2022 at 11:23 PM, Great Khan Artist said:

9 March: The Egyptian Empire lasted almost thirty centuries. Choose a mini to put in a time capsule to be opened in 3000 years. Why?

Sir Forscale, so that there would be a scale reference for all the other minis y'all are putting in.

19 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

It's highly situational.

I grew up when all of our nerd stuff was very likely to cause all sorts of social problems with ones' peers in school, especially after all the devil-worshipping BS came about. 

So, I was very careful about it for a long time. 

As I have gotten older, and gaming in general has become more socially acceptable, I have become more open about my hobbies. 

Also as I have gotten older, people's opinions of how I spend my spare time have become much less important to me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 March: Who is your hero? Choose a Reaper mini to paint and give to her. Why this person and why does that mini suit him? 

On 3/6/2022 at 10:29 PM, Great Khan Artist said:

7 March: How would you paint in zero gravity? How would anyone? 

I gave this a lot of thought, and came up with hermetically sealed spray booth. Put the mini in on a painting stick that holds the base, but can be moved from the outside like a joystick. Close and lock the lid and spray that mini. I think the first mini painted in space would look spectacular...ly bad. 

On 3/7/2022 at 9:10 PM, Great Khan Artist said:

8 March: Egyptians were buried with shabti, little figures designed to come to life and work in lieu of the deceased in the Field of Reeds. Which Reaper mini(s) would you choose for your shabti?

I hate cleaning in this life, and I don't expect to develop an affinity for it in the next. I choose Brigitte, French maid. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

This one is an interesting question, as it came about from an article in SBG Magazine, a fan-created GW LoTR webzine. There is an article by the title of "Keep it Secret, Keep it Safe" in one issue, and you can guess by the title what the author's viewpoint on hobby was. I was curious at the time of whether this was a commonly held view, so I asked the members of onering.co.uk to respond. Many of them were quiet about their hobby love. It's very interesting to see that Reaper forumites seem to be more outgoing about their hobby. Bare in mind the question was asked probably 5 years earlier, so maybe covid and "nerdy" things becoming mainstream has something to do with it? 

I share hobby with everyone I can. For a while, I got the staff discount at the FLGS, despite not actually working there, because I would talk about products with anyone. I famously brought a big piece of homemade terrain on the bus at this point in time, too. Lots of public interest about that. I think I actually got a job because I paint minis; it was assembling electrical panels. Yes, I can happily do minute detail work all afternoon. I get a lot of "That's nice, dear" from the Mrs. Browns of the world, but I won't stop until there is a chicken in every pot and a brush in every mug.  

• Like 7