Getting to know you March 2022

6 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

11 March: Who is your hero? Choose a Reaper mini to paint and give to her. Why this person and why does that mini suit him? 

Him, who, Her, what, Hero, huh?? :blink:

While I try to figure out the question let it be noted, for the record, that the Rebels-English (& maybe the King’s English as well?) I learned at school includes both the words:

Heroine 

and

Hero

very conveniently making it possible to designate whether some heroic figure is a girl (i.e. Wonderwoman) or a guy (i.e. Superman). 

Now to ponder whether this is a comix question or more IRL. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

++ sitting alone, high up in his eyrie, the Griffin begins to ponder ++

• Like 4

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

11 March: Who is your hero? Choose a Reaper mini to paint and give to her. Why this person and why does that mini suit him? 

I don't tend to think of people that way I guess.  I mean, I look a firefighter or soldier or someone like that doing something very brave, and think " wow, what a heroic act" but in general, I don't think of people that way.

The exception would be my wife, who's gone through a lot, and continues to deal with a lot. She's my hero.

I've painted her a few things, and printed off lots of cats for her, here's my latest:
image.thumb.png.8d62b6513fed5cb01093dc1eb3b714b7.png

For a reaper fig, I really like the Catfolk Duelist (04056) which I might grab in my next order. Although she really likes birds too, so I'll likely get the Ukrainian relief fund songbird for her too.

• Like 8

On 3/10/2022 at 12:25 AM, Great Khan Artist said:

10 March: Keep it secret, keep it safe. Do you share your love of all things miniature and painted with the world, or do you keep it to just yourself and a few internet hobby friends? 

My natural introversion and lack of any significant social circle makes it a secret to much of the universe.

Though if I sense that the listener may be a geek/hobbyist of some sort, then the floodgates open.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

No idea, I don't have heroes in my life anymore. 

• Like 5

Weekend Quest: In the past, some conventions were held at exotic locations. (I think there was a Gen Con Disney.) Let's say that you are the event organizer for such a Reaper Con. Where are you, what is your theme and what other fun things do you have planned at the location? 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Weekend Quest: In the past, some conventions were held at exotic locations. (I think there was a Gen Con Disney.) Let's say that you are the event organizer for such a Reaper Con. Where are you, what is your theme and what other fun things do you have planned at the location? 

It would be a huge hall where a fullscale version of @malefactus's Spooky Woods are built.

All the shops/stands and activities would be in that theme.

Location itself would not matter much then.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

It would be Reapercon North up here in Canada, and flumphs would be added as a new faction. Ed, Dave and Ron will be dressed as pirate flumphs for the entire time, as penance for not releasing flumph models already.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

It would be in the Netherlands and @Glitterwolf would run the meals!

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

It would be a huge hall where a fullscale version of @malefactus's Spooky Woods are built.

All the shops/stands and activities would be in that theme.

Location itself would not matter much then.

Combining these is very, very difficult to improve upon.  I’ll just add a well stocked, build you own, sandwich bar. 

F27BA3DE-4C49-48F9-9C59-05CF2475B639.thumb.jpeg.919626e4441ef0930c5c7a9aa49b2445.jpegC060B4A1-4623-468A-96F6-43F8A9DFA789.thumb.jpeg.a1f8226868b55be42c32fbd548e10c42.jpegE4D5EFD5-63A8-4E90-937D-CA59CD849C75.thumb.jpeg.3ba0849447a9d0ed732c2ecd8227251c.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

GenConSoCal was near Disney, but completely separate from any activities there, which was a shame.  I remember the hotel had very nice hot tubs which I really enjoyed after 10 hours working the vendor hall.  So, as Event Organizer, knowing it's going to be a very long weekend and I'll be exhausted most of the time, I declare that all Reapercons shall henceforth be held at hotels with hot tubs.   The Best Western, or whatever it was we used to stay at near Reaper had hot tubs in some of the rooms.  (BTW, rooms are only $85 a night during the con weekend)

47 minutes ago, TGP said:

Combining these is very, very difficult to improve upon.  I’ll just add a well stocked, build you own, sandwich bar. 

Excellent idea.  Let's add a sushi bar, too. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2022 at 9:10 PM, Great Khan Artist said:

8 March: Egyptians were buried with shabti, little figures designed to come to life and work in lieu of the deceased in the Field of Reeds. Which Reaper mini(s) would you choose for your shabti?

Mouslings. There’s enough variety that the different mouslings can provide me with entertainment, chores, guarding, anything I need.

On 3/8/2022 at 10:23 PM, Great Khan Artist said:

9 March: The Egyptian Empire lasted almost thirty centuries. Choose a mini to put in a time capsule to be opened in 3000 years. Why?

Mousings again. Are these gods? Are they ancestor worship? Nature spirits?Are there different functions of the ones in space armor vs the ones in civilian clothes?? They’re the wrong shape for fertility rituals… right???

Maximum confusion.

On 3/9/2022 at 10:25 PM, Great Khan Artist said:

10 March: Keep it secret, keep it safe. Do you share your love of all things miniature and painted with the world, or do you keep it to just yourself and a few internet hobby friends? 

I’m very open about my hobbies, have been since I met my Hubby. He has a way of making me feel absolutely comfortable with myself. 

On 3/10/2022 at 8:58 PM, Great Khan Artist said:

For the purposes of this question, I’ll interpret “hero” as folks who’ve made a huge impact on my sense of worth and how I express myself. So my mom and my husband. 

For my husband I'd use the heroforge mini I made for his favorite DnD character, Koshrel Ska’raes, silver draconian champion and wizard. That character’s personality is basically what my hubby would be like if he could use magic.

For my mom… I’ll have to think on that one. 

• Like 7

On 3/9/2022 at 12:23 AM, Great Khan Artist said:

9 March: The Egyptian Empire lasted almost thirty centuries. Choose a mini to put in a time capsule to be opened in 3000 years. Why?

I'd say the latest release, so that they can see how far sculpting has come in 3000 years. And to see if they are still suffering scale-creep.

On 3/10/2022 at 12:25 AM, Great Khan Artist said:

Really just with you all and with some select non-internet friends. Still feeling out the atmosphere at work. All signs currently point toward a nerd unfriendly zone, but I am on a new shift so I could be wrong... they were blaring Taylor Swift on the production floor a few nights ago, so who knows? Mostly I just tell people I enjoy painting and leave it at that.

On 3/10/2022 at 10:58 PM, Great Khan Artist said:

Well, right now I wish I could give a painted copy of the nightingale relief mini to every Ukrainian, which shouldn't need explained. Sing sweet nightingale.

14 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I'm thinking somewhere in Asia, possibly in Japan, maybe on Okinawa. A change of scenery from Western architecture/cuisine. Maybe have the faction theme be Samurai, Ronin, and Ninja clans. The con figure could be a giant Eastern mythology-style dragon.

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

At the convention center hotel here on Sheridan, for purely selfish reasons. 🤪

Fun things planned? Actually going!

• Like 7

On 3/12/2022 at 12:45 AM, Great Khan Artist said:

I think it would be fun (and more or less barely practical, so this one’s at least a little serious) to have a convention at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island in Michigan.  For those from outside the area, it’s basically at the upper tip of the mitten, where Lakes Michigan, Huron and Superior meet.  Except for emergency vehicles, there are no cars on the island, so it’s all foot, bicycle, or horse. The island is generally reached by ferry.  Here’s the hotel from the ferry as you approach:

CF63AB40-FB3E-4189-BD48-8939D44A739F.jpeg.0a675bc660f9ca11ef611aba8daf094b.jpeg

Here’s the view from the right end, down the porch:

8ACB8182-1FF0-4064-A2A7-2B3CFA1C5EB6.jpeg.1859fa6d33d6a982bc83f7441a12be3a.jpeg

As mentioned, there are no cars, so the streets usually look like this:

77EF9000-33DA-4E7E-9827-CA271125EA1A.jpeg.6900446ec1e7fdeb339137b121185adf.jpeg

As for theme, the Straits of Mackinac was (were?) a strategic location in early colonial American/Canadian history, so a historical wargaming 18th/19th century theme would be appropriate.  There was a battle on the island when the British took the fort there early in the War of 1812, and there was an American attempt to retake it in 1814.  Across the water, the earlier fort was taken by the local native Americans during the opening of the post-Seven Years War in North America conflict usually (but not terribly accurately) referred to as Pontiac’s Rebellion.  

Fort Mackinac, on the island, is run by Michigan State Parks, and is staffed by re-enactors depicting several eras. Here’s one of them depicting the War of 1812 period:

5387C727-ED8B-415A-AE89-3FE3EC709611.jpeg.b077151b25dd844ba26956cb5acb9ab8.jpeg

During one of our visits, we chatted up the re-enactor staff after one of the presentations, and found that they were running an after-work RPG that summer…

Plusses and minus of the location for purposes of a convention:

Minus: The Grand Hotel is a little pricy, comparable to going on a cruise.  It’s on an island reached by a ferry, so getting bulk gear for a trade show over would probably not be easy.  Even carrying a table’s worth of miniatures and scenery could be challenging, although the Grand Hotel sends down horse drawn cargo wagons to meet the ferries, so you don’t have to schlep your gear up to the hotel yourself, as long as you’ve packed it for other people to handle.

Pluses: It’s an all inclusive resort, so (excellent!) food is included in the fees.  Event organizers could decide whether lunch is included, or whether people could be released on the town’s economy to find there own lunches.  When we’ve been there for ballroom workshops, they don’t expect you to go far, so those generally have had lunch; a typical visit booked by itself would not, but lunch at the Grand can be bought separately.  There are several large meeting spaces; I’d probably expect a small con to be parked in the one they call the Theater.  The picture on their web site shows the Theater set up with maybe 50 round tables seating 6-8, so you could probably drop a small con in without too much trouble.  There’s plenty of non-con stuff you can do (live band for dancing every night even when not a ballroom workshop weekend…when there are two…), and the food, as mentioned, is very good.

Neutral: It’s a deliberately traditional place.  No casual clothes downstairs after 6pm.

57CB942D-4D16-4DE7-BD02-715EF6CD09A1.jpeg.ac55b570017c6e8dd45521047d1f90f3.jpeg

Anyone fancy wargaming in the old British style, in coats and ties?

Anyway, that’s the con I would love to do.  Events would need to be scheduled to avoid dinner, and portable games would be better, but that all seems somewhat achievable.  

• Like 7