skin tones??

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried mixing your wash with your base skintone, then working from there? I used to use this technique allot.

I'd mix a small amount of my flesh wash with the base skintone. Start highlighting with by adding the base minus the wash. Then lighten up the base with whatever lighter shade was desired, (yellow, cream, grey) for whatever effect was needed.

Just a thought.

no i havent tried that. but the main problem is colors. i cant seem 2 find the right color combination. they either come out looking like they have been sitting on the sun for 3 weeks or PINK.. im mainly looking for a suggestion on what colors to use. the only suggestions i can find are more for monsters and the such.

What kind/brand of paints are you using or are available to you?

Reaper, Vallejo, GW all have skin tone colored paints in varying shades.

Even if you mostly use craft or toll paints I would suggest going out and getting some skin tones from one or several of those manufacturers. I started using craft paints but found a limited selection in colors and ha a hard time mixing the ones I needed.

right now the only paints im using are games workshop and reaper pro paint. very limited colors on the pro paint side. i have all the GW skin tones for except rotted flesh. but when im layering my paints it seems like its way to drastic of a color change. im not trying to do to many highlights only 3 total. my base, then the first highlight then my inking but the colors just look **blah** if i dont make any custom colors what would you suggest as a start for those 3?

What I've been using alot is a basecoat of Dwarf Flesh, followed by Caucasian, with Fair Maiden as the top highlight. It's not too bad, though it does look a little bit grey. When that happens, I try to warm it up a bit with a glaze of Chestnut.

What I've been using alot is a basecoat of Dwarf Flesh, followed by Caucasian, with Fair Maiden as the top highlight. It's not too bad, though it does look a little bit grey. When that happens, I try to warm it up a bit with a glaze of Chestnut.

Flynn is right... Dwarf flesh makes an excellent base coat for flesh colors.

Check out these tutorials: http://www.pbase.com/badaab/tutorials

They helped me out ABUNCH, even though I use a slightly different method. The best thing I ever did, personally, was stop using washes for flesh.. it simply never gave results that I was happy with.

I've actually recently taken a huge liking to Vallejo Model Color "Beige Red". It's like a slightly brighter dwarf flesh... I've found it to work great for softer skintones on females...

(many thanks to Betsy from battlemountainminis for the vallejo Beige Red, and other paints as well ^_^ )

This is what I once used as my basic flesh scheme. When I started out it was simple and quick and gave me good results. This demo is a bit more advanced than my original as it requires thinned paints and my original scheme did not. This slightly revised version does produce better results though. As Jester (who gave me this advice personally and I've taken it to heart) and many others have stated time and time again "Thin your paints!!!"

I am by no means an expert or a pro painter, (any of you who have seen my work can attest to this) I just offer up advice that once worked for me, maybe it will prove to be usefull to you.

Skin_Tones.jpg