How do I fix clumpy paints?

Biggubosu

Hello. My son and I have just started painting minis using the Reaper paint sets we bought on Amazon. We really love this new hobby, but some of the paints were very thin, even after shaking with a vortex. When I opened up the bottle, I noticed the paint had formed a very large clump that was not going back into solution. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the paint looks clumpy like it curdled or turned into cottage cheese, then it has separated past the point of saving.  It may have been subject to extreme temperatures. 

Some paints will be thinner just because of the amount of pigment and other ingredients, but a vortex should be able to mix them.   If you believe you have bad paint,  and it won't mix, you should contact the seller for a refund. 

• Like 1

Thank you for all the advice. Some of my droppers were clogged but I was able to open them up with a clip like suggested. Most of the paints that are going on too thin do look very clumpy and like cottage cheese. Once it gets to that point, there's no way of restoring them? 

2 hours ago, Biggubosu said:

Thank you for all the advice. Some of my droppers were clogged but I was able to open them up with a clip like suggested. Most of the paints that are going on too thin do look very clumpy and like cottage cheese. Once it gets to that point, there's no way of restoring them? 

No, it's past the point of no return.  It's either VERY old paint, or it was left in a warehouse with no AC or no heat and it has chemically separated.  I'm guessing you did not buy it from Reaper, because their paint is always fresh.  If your vortex won't mix it, you're outta luck. 

Reaper has excellent customer service, but they may not guarantee 3rd party purchases like this. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Inarah said:

No, it's past the point of no return.  It's either VERY old paint, or it was left in a warehouse with no AC or no heat and it has chemically separated.  I'm guessing you did not buy it from Reaper, because their paint is always fresh.  If your vortex won't mix it, you're outta luck. 

Reaper has excellent customer service, but they may not guarantee 3rd party purchases like this. 

It's still March, even ordering from direct from Reaper you can get paints that were frozen in shipping this time of year if someone lives in or the package would pass though some place that freezes. 

(don't order acrylic paint online from anyone in the winter if you live in a place that freezes)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, cmorse said:

It's still March, even ordering from direct from Reaper you can get paints that were frozen in shipping this time of year if someone lives in or the package would pass though some place that freezes. 

(don't order acrylic paint online from anyone in the winter if you live in a place that freezes)

Or it did at other points in transit, some of the places selling through Amazon don't know how to handle them and who knows when they'd restocked

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2022 at 8:52 AM, Biggubosu said:

While I do not disagree with the other responses, it is difficult to be certain about the condition of paint without actually seeing it.  I have had old paints the vortex mixer could not mix.  However, after vigorously stirring them with a thin metal rod to break up the clumps then trying the vortex again, some  ( but certainly not all) of the paints were restored to a usable condition.  May not work for your paints, but nothing to lose by trying it before you trash them.

Edited by ferret
  • Like 2

On 3/14/2022 at 12:57 AM, cmorse said:

This~!

AND if you order from a place that freezes.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1

This is why I only buy paint directly from Reaper and only in the Spring and Fall or at ReaperCon.  At other sources, you don't know how long they've been sitting in a hot or cold warehouse or what journeys they have been on.  Even if I order in Summer, the distributor may have ordered in January and it's just been sitting around.  Get the paint from Reaper directly and you know you are getting a fresh batch (just not in Summer as the heat in TX is crazy).

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 9:15 AM, Biggubosu said:

Hello. My son and I have just started painting minis using the Reaper paint sets here we bought on Amazon. We really love this new hobby, but some of the paints were very thin, even after shaking with a vortex. When I opened up the bottle, I noticed the paint had formed a very large clump that was not going back into solution. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks in advance.

My first layers are always really thin. It's almost like drinking water. They don't leave as much pigment behind, but they glide on smoothly and evenly in all crevices. Additionally, it improves the adhesion of following paint layers.

Remove it and try once more. Make sure to thoroughly shake and stir the paint (toothpicks work great) before applying the thinner. Take it lightly and apply thin coats. Brush painting enamels is a great way to quickly build up a thick coat because they are generally thicker paints..

Edited by mehwish.yati

You can also try putting a metal bead in the bottle and shaking. (Usually you want to use a piece of plastic, such as a bead or piece of sprue, because metal rusts.) If your wife has a vortex shaker for fingernail polish, the eyedropper paint bottle might fit. As for purchasing, I haven't had problems with Miniature Market, or other hobby-specific online stores. "I bought it on Amazon" doesn't say who you actually bought it from, but at least send them an email about the paint and see if they'll replace it or not. If you're not satisfied, you can contact Amazon directly. Leave seller feedback.

fyi, The Reaper Bones KS starts in a few days. Not only can you pick up models at a good price for painting, but they will often have discounted paint sets. Reaper may also have another Learn to Paint Kit. IMO, Reaper doesn't emphasize their triad paint sets (a shade, base, and highlighter set of paints), but research them, especially skin colors (the Suntan Flesh triad is good for adventurers).

Edited by ced1106