Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
This was fun and relatively quick. I used metallic paints on this one, trying to practice using them. I'm not sure I got it quite right but I learned some things doing it. Not much to say about this one. It was pretty fast and easy. Weirdly I'm having a harder time getting my head around how to use TMM than NMM. I basically did NMM but using metallic paints and I don't think it worked very well here. Any advice anybody wants to give on how to paint TMM style on miniatures would be welcome. Also, how to add rust, or verdigris to metal. That is something else I have not done successfully, I added some red to the chain mail but I don't think it looks like rust.
I really wanted to paint this so that it looked like the horse was black. I couldn't make it work. All the pictures I could find were very shiny black horses and it always looked wrong when I tried to paint it -- due to my skill mostly --after three or four times painting over it all and starting over I settled on this brown and blond colored horse. The minis was fun because it gave me lots of opportunity to practice my NMM technique.
A long time ago, I painted up a model of Barros & Tempest (DHL #3096). Unfortunately, this is now one of my missing minis. It is located somewhere in my parent's place, but where exactly, no one knows... All that I have left are these pictures from an old computer. But I really like this model, so I ordered a new one and painted it up with a different rider and a horse of a different colour. Their barding matches, just incase the original is ever found.
Here is the missing Barros & Tempest. Please forgive the bad photography skills, I took these photos on a freezer with a piece of paper behind them in place of a real box. I used a pin and green attach Tempest (I'm assuming that is the name of the Pegasus) to the stand. It didn't hold up well, and it looks like they are coming in for a landing or to smite someone.
And here is my new version of Barros & Tempest. This model is hard to photograph because there are so many cool sculpted features going all the way around the model.
I love the movement of these sculptures. They work really well together.
I tried out to a different approach to quick batch painting. I already have a lot of undead painted and I didn't really want to spend too much time on the skeletons. So to do them quickly I undercoated them in a dark brown paint, dry brushed them with Titanium Buff and the glazed on colours. Transparent Yellow Oxide was mixed with some Burnt Umber for the bones.
Ahh My Love...:
The yellow coat required some normal painting to get it he right colour. I love how it came out. I also decided to paint the compass needles.
Where Is My Booty!:
I did some basic OSL on this figure. It looks better in real life than what came up on the photo since the centre of the lantern is bright yellow and the glow is green(the lighting was wrong when I took them and the phone autocorrected them to dark, amusingly enough the clock colour is quite close to what it is in real life)
I like the colour of the treasurer's shirt. It a really bright teal. Sadly the auto correction has darkened the photo considerably and I seem to have misplaced the picture of the back
Being Dead Doesn't Stop Drunks!:
This where fun to paint. I choose to do as many colours as I could on the drunken pair.
Has Someone Seen His Hand?:
I choose not to use any metallic paints when painting these figures. I considered doing rust on the weapons, but decided against it since the sculpts of the weapons showed them to be in such great condition. I consider the pirates to be raised from the moment they died and be programmed to always polish their weapons (at sea they would get damaged quickly other ways).
Has Anyone Seen His Leg?:
The peg leg could have been a better colour but it is not something that I wanted to draw attention to so it can be how I left it (minimal details and same colour as boot).
Anchor Of The Damned!:
The anchor used my favourite rust painting method. Do a base coat of the desired undercoat (in this case a really dark warm brown). Then use paints consisting of real rust! Red Iron Oxide wash/layer (wash has a nice effect where the colour gathers in the places rust would, and if it is the correct consistency a sufficient amount would be left in other areas you painted). Then highlight with Yellow Ochre (whose pigment is Earth that has a large content of Yellow Iron Oxide. You could substitute for Yellow Iron Oxide or Golden Ochre if you want rust that is brighter).
I like how there are two round pieces under the broken arm bone of the bottom skeleton. You could leave them as rock but I chose to paint them as Two Pieces of Eight.