Am I facing mold issues with Ivar Dwarf Priest hammer and Anirion Elf Wizard staff/robe?

The Ivar Dwarf Priest hammer appears incomplete as if it didn't get enough plastic in the mold. Perhaps this is a short shot. See pic of my mini's hammer compared to a completed example.

Q: Is this common for Reaper Bones minis? Do people usually seek a replacement or use green stuff to sculpt up the missing portion?

The Anirion Elf Wizard has a strange curtain effect between the staff and the robe. Unsure if this mini was sculpted like this or if this is also a mold-making error. See pic of situation.

Q: How would you approach this strange nether land of material between the staff and the robe? Carve out what should be a gap? Paint a vertical black 'gap'? Other?

Thank you for helping a new Reaper painter.

Edit: Q: Should we still follow the 150k image size limit per rules, or do y'all usually post a little better resolution?

reaper dwarf hammer tiny.png

reaper wizard curtains tiny.png

Edited by potus98
  • Like 1

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO it looks like the dwarf hammer is mis-cast, you can fix it if that's easy for you. 

Aniron looks like (many Bones do) it was poorly translated to Bones and I would clean that up with a hobby knife and repaint. 

Given the number of images posted here I would stick with the lower file size.  Reaper doesn't have infinite storage space. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

@Inarah, Thanks for sharing your experience!

I've never used green stuff, but the hammer situation poses a good first learning opportunity so I'm giving it a shot.

As for the robe/staff clean up, are you suggesting the "clean up with a hobby knife" is smoothing the wrinkles out so it's a smooth vertical 'wall' from the robe to the staff? Or do you think the area should be completely removed from beneath the hand to the base of the staff/robe (where the two more naturally collide)?

Seeking clarification because I held that area up to a bright lamp before painting and it didn't look like flashing or mold squeeze out. It seems thick enough that it's there on purpose. (Hopefully you know what I mean.) Regardless of thickness, I'm willing to remove it if that what you meant by clean up. My X-Acto skills are probably better than my painting skills.

Edited by potus98

1 hour ago, potus98 said:

As for the robe/staff clean up, are you suggesting the "clean up with a hobby knife" is smoothing the wrinkles out so it's a smooth vertical 'wall' from the robe to the staff? Or do you think the area should be completely removed from beneath the hand to the base of the staff/robe (where the two more naturally collide)?

I would use the knife to smooth the area below the hand.  Shave the rough areas until they look a bit smoother like the top of the staff.  I would not try to make a gap between the staff and robe.  Paint a shadow in there.  

• Like 1