Bones 6 Enthusiasm and Commentary

Chaoswolf

6 hours ago, DragonWyrm said:

The wall looks nice. Thought why they would have a statue of a skeletal pharos I don't know.

2c5cef2f90068e20f1cd0f61759d2964_origina

A common theme in Tomb King Armies or Empire of Dust /Undying Dynasties etc.

I collect Egyptian Themed Undead, it's nothing out of the ordinary and so far not something that makes me go wow.

• Like 5

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Cyradis said:

That first Bones Black owlbear is the perfect example. Separate base, but ridiculously easy to put the owlbear on the base, and the base wasn't just lame and flat, or broccolied. If you wanted a different base it would be easy to do something else, but the included one was great.

Yes! I was really impressed with that one. They get it right with a lot of the bigger sculpts, a round base with slots for the feet. I think of the five big dragons from the last Kickstarter, only Aganzarax has part of his tail actually sculpted into the tower he's sitting on, but the others are all separate from the base. But even then, it's a nice round base that perfectly fits them.

Base size isn't the most important thing - the reaper Bugbears don't fit on a "medium" base, so they go on bigger bases for me. But I do generally prefer round bases over the cobblestone ovals. Cobblestones, to me at least, are harder to build out into a full base than old abstract broccoli bases. Granted, the texture might be better, but a figure standing on a rock, that's easy to blend into a base and have it look a bit organic. An oval cobblestone... what do I do, snip the bases off of all of those? That's far more work, now. Do I slap a cobblestone oval onto a round base and build up the rest of the cobblestone? A lot more work. So, I would just leave it as a cobblestone oval.

I've been reading complaints about the way Reaper's figures are based for a long time, so it's not new. I think Julie Guthrie still tends to put miniatures on rocky bases. Those tend to be my favorites, but that's also because they're so obviously hand-sculpted and it's just lovely. 

Though ultimately, I can see how it's nice to not have to base your minis when you have hundreds of them to go through, and truthfully it really isn't that big of a deal. Basically, I feel like a lot of people would say they don't mind, but certainly don't prefer them over round bases or anything.

• Like 9

Now really looking forward to Hakir. Skulls I can overlook. The adventurers look very unique, diverse and like they've been successfully looting tombs for a while. Am hoping for some more 'Tomb guards' and maybe a vulture. And a goblin in a fez, 'on the wrong side of the riiiiiiiii veeeeerrr' 

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

44 minutes ago, Brianuk said:

And a goblin in a fez, 'on the wrong side of the riiiiiiiii veeeeerrr' 

Yes, but the Goblin has to have all the horrr....sessss! 😄

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 5
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, aku-chan said:

That's a snazzy Desert Dwarf! It's a shame the Hakir expansion is apparently going to be terrain heavy, I'd prefer more of these funky minis!

This is how I feel. I hope there's more minis than I expect. But it feels like a missed opportunity to fill this with terrain when the bones lineup could really benefit from fresh minis with a unique cultural aesthetic. Both of those heroes call out to me just for how unlike anything else they are.

• Like 7

I definitely prefer the Hakir expansion to be terrain heavy. I do like the dwarf though. But I would like some cool terrain pieces.

Loving the columns. Would prefer having a few of them. But the skeletal sarcophagus statue on the wall annoys me a bit, because of that wall. Like, how am I supposed to use that in a game? I'd rather the wall was complete, so I could just connect it to some other walls.

Interested in seeing what else shows up in that expansion. Not quite sold yet, but it's got my attention at least.

• Like 5

I can’t be the first to mention this, but I giggle every time I log in to the forum. I always misread line that delineates old posts from new. “Undead replies”.

It’s especially amusing when the “Undead replies” are Iron Maiden album covers or pics of a giant skeleton...

• Like 3
  • Haha 10