Chaoswolf

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, JoeGKushner said:

Eddie!  image.png.d7d09f6874f76e1838a1fa153dd0eb2a.png

Since I don't care about the music industry, if you showed this yesterday I would have had no idea what this was. I somehow managed to find Eddie today while browsing the internet for other things. Coincidence? I think not! It's all a conspiracy perpetuated by the undead!

Just now, MoonKing said:

Anyone else curious what surprise is going to come our way at noon?

Well now its not going to be a surprise, isn't it!?

I will guess it's going to be a big model (70% chance of it being a dragon) or an extra to the GG expansion.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, bearsman6 said:

Hey, hey, hey, can we talk about the fact that the campaign broke a million? That's a pretty huge milestone, even if it IS slower than previous Bones campaigns. A million dollars is still impressive!

Yes, it is!

14 minutes ago, JoeGKushner said:

Eddie!  image.png.d7d09f6874f76e1838a1fa153dd0eb2a.png

...and now I've got that song in my head. Not complaining, mind you; it's an awesome song.

5 hours ago, Jeronimus said:

But I do generally prefer round bases over the cobblestone ovals. Cobblestones, to me at least, are harder to build out into a full base than old abstract broccoli bases. Granted, the texture might be better, but a figure standing on a rock, that's easy to blend into a base and have it look a bit organic. An oval cobblestone... what do I do, snip the bases off of all of those? That's far more work, now. Do I slap a cobblestone oval onto a round base and build up the rest of the cobblestone? A lot more work. 

This is why I think that having pegs on the figures feet and a corresponding set of holes in the base is the best way to go. It's not a whole lot of extra work for anybody: if you don't want to fiddle around with basing, just glue the figure to the base and go. Likewise, if you want your pirates on a sandy beach instead of onboard ship, throw those wooden plank bases into your bits box and then glue the pirates to your beach bases.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

This is why I think that having pegs on the figures feet and a corresponding set of holes in the base is the best way to go. It's not a whole lot of extra work for anybody: if you don't want to fiddle around with basing, just glue the figure to the base and go. Likewise, if you want your pirates on a sandy beach instead of onboard ship, throw those wooden plank bases into your bits box and then glue the pirates to your beach bases.

I do wish Reaper would go this way.  Especially with USA being a more brittle material when clipping bases.  I don't often want to create a base from scratch, but when I do i prefer Dos Equis having a mini that's not stuck to its base.

I also find it easier and more enjoyable to paint the base separately.

Edited by MoonglowMinis
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, bearsman6 said:

Hey, hey, hey, can we talk about the fact that the campaign broke a million? That's a pretty huge milestone, even if it IS slower than previous Bones campaigns. A million dollars is still impressive!

It is, hell I'd be over the moon if my company hit the 1 mil mark, but the 1 mil mark in Bones KS is suppose to surpassed within the first week or so. I'm happy it finally crossed that number thou, as it shows it's starting to ramp back up. Hopefully, we'll start seeing some pieces that allot of people will be happy to see.

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I still want to sculpt Eddie someday, but...IP.

Eh, just change something & call him Eidde. :poke:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, Joshinminn said:

I just don’t have the interest in customizing my bases, but I do know I’m in the minority. 

I don't know that you're in the minority. I've seen a lot of players at FLGS's & conventions buy their mini, open it up and plop it on the table. In my home games the majority of other player's minis are just on their integral bases, and most aren't even painted.   There was one group that I was part of that the half finished proxy minis everyone else was using annoyed me so much that I did custom minis for everyone in the group. 

16 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I like the new bases having something on them as opposed to just being plain, but I'd prefer that they were separate from the figure.

Having the base be planks or cobblestones or whatever isn't helpful if I want my adventurers to be in the woods.

Pegs on feet and corresponding holes on the base would be the best of both worlds, IMO.

I'd love it if they went this way.  Seems the best of both worlds, but it also might mean slightly more expensive molds? 

7 hours ago, aku-chan said:

It's a shame the Hakir expansion is apparently going to be terrain heavy, I'd prefer more of these funky minis!

At this point in time I have zero interest in the Hakir expansion as none of my fantasy RPG settings have anything close to desert or Egyptian themed, but if it's terrain heavy, I could be persuaded to buy in for miniatures games. 

7 hours ago, Jeronimus said:

An oval cobblestone... what do I do, snip the bases off of all of those? That's far more work, now. Do I slap a cobblestone oval onto a round base and build up the rest of the cobblestone? A lot more work. So, I would just leave it as a cobblestone oval.

Personally, I find cobblestone one of the easier integrated bases to work with, at least on Bones figures and smaller metal ones.   I like putting most of my medium sized minis on 1" round bases for consistency and Reaper's RPG bases have been a blessing for that.   For most integral based minis, I'll flip the RPG base upside down and glue the mini into the base using various thicknesses of sheet plastic as shims to make the top of the integral base level with the top of the RPG base.  I'll then fill the gaps with putty.   For cobblestone bases, I find it pretty easy to texture the putty, then sculpt in my own cobblestones to extend the pattern from the integral base. 

Wooden planks come in second. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm loving both the Almiraj and hatching owlbear! This is reeaally tempting me to add the Fae and Talons expansions. Really devious here, Reaper. 😛 What am I going to do with just a hatching egg? I'll need an unhatched egg to build suspense first. And then of course I'll need a baby owlbear for after it hatches. And then naturally the Mama will come looking for it. It's like the session just writes itself!

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

After viewing that 3D turnaround of Chonkrondar I have to say that I’d be much less afraid of its jaws and claws, and would be terrified of a tail slap attack. That dragon would be able to tail slap a hero half-way across the continent.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

To my knowledge, this would be the first time they’ve ever broken out part of an expansion to be purchased separately. 

Second time. Cemetery fences were the first. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I thought Hakir would be an instabuy for me, but with it being terrain heavy I'm not sure now. Might be a Sullenhall situation where what I'd definitely buy at retail adds up to >$50, though.

Edited by corbie
  • Like 5