Bones 6 Enthusiasm and Commentary

Chaoswolf

29 minutes ago, JG/RR said:

For those of you who don't like the skeletal sarcophagus on the wall, remember that the wall has two sides and is reversible.

Bob

I love the ancient Egyptian theme.  I think there is a ton of cool things about their story, from the massive pyramids and statues, to the beautiful sarcophagus' of these people beyond time.  Even their written language is evocative just to look at.  

What I don't get is trying to force the undead motif into a setting that already is linked to undead like that.  If the sarcophagus there was broken and inside is this mammoth skeleton that is one thing but having the skeleton presented outside is just showing that yes this is a dead person place.  There is no mystery and I feel there should be.

• Like 2

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Looter said:

I love the ancient Egyptian theme.  I think there is a ton of cool things about their story, from the massive pyramids and statues, to the beautiful sarcophagus' of these people beyond time.  Even their written language is evocative just to look at.  

What I don't get is trying to force the undead motif into a setting that already is linked to undead like that.  If the sarcophagus there was broken and inside is this mammoth skeleton that is one thing but having the skeleton presented outside is just showing that yes this is a dead person place.  There is no mystery and I feel there should be.

Your comment makes me want to sculpt a little Tutankhamen-style death mask to go over the skull. I’ll paint it all gold and blue. When the pcs trip the trap or make too much noise or what have you, the mask melts away to reveal the dread grimace of the cursed pharaoh. 

I mean, I can’t sculpt at all, but this makes me want to. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I probably won't be picking up the Hakir expansion. I can get behind an Egyptian inspired theme, the Dwarf and Pehti-mau warrior for example both look awesome, but the sarcophagus and hieroglyphics are a little too on the nose for me.

The skull motif (while overdone) actually brings up some interesting cultural questions though. These sarcophagi are there to forever show the person within at their prime. What kind of person would be thought of more fondly as a skeleton than in life? Also, what does it say about the people who built the tomb? Seems like they might be happy their ruler is gone.

Edited by Blip
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, JG/RR said:

The two sides of the wall are just meant to give the players a thematic choice.  Either the "normal" or "evil" side could be used, depending on your game.

And that's awesome. I like having choices.

• Like 7

No Siri, the dual function of the wall was never mentioned before today, as a matter of fact I had to clear it with Ron to post about it here since the Hakir stuff had only been teased up to this point. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

24 minutes ago, JG/RR said:

No Siri, the dual function of the wall was never mentioned before today, as a matter of fact I had to clear it with Ron to post about it here since the Hakir stuff had only been teased up to this point. 

I thought it was a joke! Like, if you don’t like the skeletal pharaoh, just turn the wall to the blank side!

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, JG/RR said:

Then that is awesome! Having a dual side wall suits both sorts, those who want the skeletal pharaoh and those who want a male normal look

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

Then that is awesome! Having a dual side wall suits both sorts, those who want the skeletal pharaoh and those who want a male normal look

Its like a secret door.  One side is normal but when you open it the other side is giving you a warning.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JG/RR said:

The two sides of the wall are just meant to give the players a thematic choice.  Either the "normal" or "evil" side could be used, depending on your game.

that's pretty cool.  that increases the usefulness of the terrain for me.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, msfnc said:

Your comment makes me want to sculpt a little Tutankhamen-style death mask to go over the skull. I’ll paint it all gold and blue. When the pcs trip the trap or make too much noise or what have you, the mask melts away to reveal the dread grimace of the cursed pharaoh. 

I mean, I can’t sculpt at all, but this makes me want to. 

Or maybe have a cover drop away and reveal NOT eddie like from an Iron Maiden concert

image.thumb.png.a89d5480cf006d2e455c87fd079fce73.png

3 hours ago, Blip said:

I probably won't be picking up the Hakir expansion. I can get behind an Egyptian inspired theme, the Dwarf and Pehti-mau warrior for example both look awesome, but the sarcophagus and hieroglyphics are a little too on the nose for me.

The skull motif (while overdone) actually brings up some interesting cultural questions though. These sarcophagi are there to forever show the person within at their prime. What kind of person would be thought of more fondly as a skeleton than in life? Also, what does it say about the people who built the tomb? Seems like they might be happy their ruler is gone.

I actually wonder if there is enough room for me to hollow out and put in some electronics, then it can be like the statue in spaceballs:)

1 hour ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

Its like a secret door.  One side is normal but when you open it the other side is giving you a warning.

YUP! And the door speaks "You are in the presence of the all powerful Yogurt!"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, JG/RR said:

Well that completely changes everything and makes the piece 200% times better. Can't wait to have a 360 view of the piece now. I wonder if the "normal" and "evil"(or just undead) will be theme throughout the whole expansion. It would be cool if it was.

• Like 5