Bones 6 Enthusiasm and Commentary

Chaoswolf

I really like the Norkers. It's the kind of Reaper warband I really enjoy: cohesive in their species, but everyone with different weapons, poses and a bit of a twist. And whimsie, character and detail in spades.  I learned Norkers are actually a thing that exists in D&D, but to me they can easily be eternally grumpy little fey with those faces of them. Boggles maybe? Like the troglodytes since they go with those I already own from Bones IV. Hyena and Giant Slug are great. I don't really need more spiders, but I like those everytime. Only thing I'm not convinced is the Minotaur, they're everywhere in Bones already.

Not sure I'll get the Hakar one. I like that they're doing more/different gods than just Anubis, scorpions are neat, but I'll have to wait and see. Though the bf might want to get this set for the terrain and we could split.

• Like 8

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

yea, the thing is i tend to feel like i'm the only person that prefers a anatomically correct wing with a propatagium, lol

You are absolutely NOT the only person who prefers anatomically "realistic" dragons!

The beauty of Julie Guthrie's dragons has always been her ability to include the little touches of musculature and anatomy that make you believe this thing could really exist somewhere. (I don't mean to imply that Julie is the only one who sculpts beautiful dragons, but I do tend to like her sculpts quite a lot.)

Like you, I see "partial" wing structure on a creature and I think, "Oh no! Poor baby! Get him to a rehabber!!"

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

oh no, WHY did the sculptor not include the propatagium?! I was so happy that the dragon was going to have anatomically correct wings

and here goes with just chopping out such a vital piece of wing anatomy just like so many other dragon miniatures =/ the concept art had it....

Today I learned what a propatagium is.

Personally I don't find it a problem either way.  These are fantasy models which means "anatomically correct" is whatever the artist wants it to be.  There is no reason anything has to be based on how things are in our reality.  

That being said I can understand why some may prefer it visually.  I've just never noticed one way or the other before.

• Like 9

I will admit that I never consciously noticed the propatagium before, but now I can't unsee them! Here are the dragon wings I have been making from scratch.

I guess I have some anatomical fixing to do!

0320221420.jpg

Edited by bearsman6
Blah comprehension is hard
  • Like 13

32 minutes ago, Rignes said:

Personally I don't find it a problem either way.  These are fantasy models which means "anatomically correct" is whatever the artist wants it to be.  There is no reason anything has to be based on how things are in our reality.  

That being said I can understand why some may prefer it visually.  I've just never noticed one way or the other before.

I know,I know. Dragons use magic to fly is a common thing I'm told when I start on wing anatomy

Magic is what keeps a dragon's rear lifted up when it's wing membrane is ridiculously small and wouldn't support the rear end in flight, they don't need correct wings because magic and all that. And that's fine, it is fantasy after all, I just prefer full wings over half a wing visually

But it is something that increases the appeal of a dragon to me, and many ignore that part of the wing for some reason. The fact the concept art had it made me really excited, so it was just a mood killer when the sculptor left it out because not many consider it that important, but to me a wing looks incomplete 

To me, seeing the missing component like that, it's just bothersome. I try to sculpt it in on the models I get that don't have it. It's one reason I too love Julie's dragons, she puts such care into making them real creatures, including the wing designs 

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Rignes said:

I’m in this camp. I’m also not married to base sizes being mathematically perfect, or the same. I don’t care if your hero’s base doesn’t conform to the 1” square on the battle mat.

I love the snake-lady. I’d love to have her in humanoid-sized scale for purposes of using her as a Yuan-Ti but I have a feeling she’ll be large-sized in scale. Doesn’t mean I can’t still use her as a more powerful Yuan-ti cult leader or snake god avatar.

Edited by Adrift
  • Like 9

I think I figured out why this is bothering me more than usual:

Most times when a propatagium is left out, it is because they don't know it is supposed to be there. I can understand that, most fantasy dragon depictions don't use it because they just don't realize it is missing.

THIS situation, it was intentional. The concept art had it, it was a conscious, intentional choice to leave it out in the sculpt

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

I know,I know. Dragons use magic to fly is a common thing I'm told when I start on wing anatomy

Magic is what keeps a dragon's rear lifted up when it's wing membrane is ridiculously small and wouldn't support the rear end in flight, they don't need correct wings because magic and all that

But it is something that increases the appeal of a dragon to me, and many ignore that part of the wing for some reason. The fact the concept art had it made me really excited, so it was just a mood killer when the sculptor left it out because not many consider it that important, but to me a wing looks incomplete 

To me, seeing the missing component like that, it's just bothersome. I try to sculpt it in on the models I get that don't have it. It's one reason I too love Julie's dragons, she puts such care into making them real creatures, including the wing designs 

Honestly, it sounds like you have knowledge on the topic of wing anatomy.  I lack the knowledge to even think about things like wing anatomy, wing to body ratios, wing positioning or anything like that.  

I just grunt like a cave man an go "ohhh...cool dragon".  I can see how having that knowledge would make these things stand out.

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Rignes said:

Honestly, it sounds like you have knowledge on the topic of wing anatomy.  I lack the knowledge to even think about things like wing anatomy, wing to body ratios, wing positioning or anything like that.  

I just grunt like a cave man an go "ohhh...cool dragon".  I can see how having that knowledge would make these things stand out.

It’s why I haven’t looked it up! Can’t unsee or unlearn it. 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

16 minutes ago, Adrift said:

It’s why I haven’t looked it up! Can’t unsee or unlearn it. 😅

Yeah, I had to google the term "propatagium".  It was an entirely new word for me so I felt compelled to look it up.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

While I had no knowledge about wing anatomy until this thread, I can totally relate to having weird hangups that nobody else seems to notice. 🙂 I hope this is a small enough change that It can make it into the final model.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, Blip said:

While I had no knowledge about wing anatomy until this thread, I can totally relate to having weird hangups that nobody else seems to notice. 🙂 I hope this is a small enough change that It can make it into the final model.

Oh, Yeah.  Just ask my wife about my quirks.  She'll give you a list.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

16 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

oh no, WHY did the sculptor not include the propatagium?! I was so happy that the dragon was going to have anatomically correct wings

well thanks. 

seeing the resin master, didnt notice that. now that you mention it, it looks strange. i checked my larger resin dragons (forgeworld, some garage kits, etc) they all have it in their wing structures....

now this anni dragon looks strange to me 😞

so i may not get that either. 

Thanks alot Siri 😛 😛

Sanjay

• Like 4

I had a look at the Bones You'd Like to See to compare to the offerings.

Fae, ants, bee-people - check. Doing okay there. 

What is something regularly asked for that is generically lacking?

More female sculpts to match what the male characters get. More active poses, more armor. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1