Jump to content

Bones 6 Enthusiasm and Commentary


Chaoswolf

Recommended Posts

I find it interesting how similar Tre Manor and Bobby Jackson's sculpting styles are. I thought these looked asthetically similar to the old Bones gnolls, but Tre sculpted those. It's also interesting that the bugbears and the gnolls have a version already in Bones USA in the store, like they asked the artist for a demo sculpt. I wonder if any other monsters will be made into sets like this. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lidless Eye said:

I wonder if the new Burtz will be used as Klarg, the first boss in "Lost Mines of Phandelvar" as much as his previous version was:

image.png.d59f3daa6cf484f55f80eb28a808354b.png

I'm really excited about Tonk, as well.  I'm all for more Monstresses, especially when they're not the sole caster of the group

image.png.2b48b91618700b5c255f9be9505805a0.png

I actually Have the mines expansion on Roll20, might have to get this add on now:)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lidless Eye said:



I'm really excited about Tonk, as well.  I'm all for more Monstresses, especially when they're not the sole caster of the group

image.png.2b48b91618700b5c255f9be9505805a0.png

 

I honestly didn't realize that was female, glad to see a female bugbear 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I find it interesting how similar Tre Manor and Bobby Jackson's sculpting styles are. I thought these looked asthetically similar to the old Bones gnolls, but Tre sculpted those. It's also interesting that the bugbears and the gnolls have a version already in Bones USA in the store, like they asked the artist for a demo sculpt. I wonder if any other monsters will be made into sets like this. 


IIRC, when Reaper revealed Bhonk last year, they stated that they asked Bobby to make him match the aesthetic of Tre’s bugbears. 

 

I also love Tre and Red Box Games. I eagerly await delivery of his most recent kickstarter. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

 

I honestly didn't realize that was female, glad to see a female bugbear 

I didn't realize it either until I looked very closely.  They should have done at least two females out of the five, though, given that every single bugbear in Reaper's Bones line, and every bugbear except one in metal, is male.  These bugbears look a lot like some of the other options anyway; at least females would have added a bit of useful diversity here.

 

Will I still buy the set of bugbears?  Oh, probably.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

New bugbears  AND gnolls?   
I am not sure i have used my painted set from bones 2  yet - no wait we had a Bugbear PC, who used Mr pointy. 
 

but the sculpts are good - they would be fun to paint.  They are both going in my "would like"  column 

but not in the "Must have"  group with 11 figures from briarwood((1/3 of set), extra ants and 30th anv. Dragon.  

 

Expansions are especially slow to come out in retail - but neither Dungeons or Hakir  have tipped into the must have category yet. 
but I will wait, watch and hope. 
 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ksbsnowowl said:


IIRC, when Reaper revealed Bhonk last year, they stated that they asked Bobby to make him match the aesthetic of Tre’s bugbears. 

 

I also love Tre and Red Box Games. I eagerly await delivery of his most recent kickstarter. 

 

I thought Red Box was going under. Wasn't there a thread to the effect a few years ago? I'm happy to hear that he/they are still around in some form. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Great Khan Artist said:

 

I thought Red Box was going under. Wasn't there a thread to the effect a few years ago? I'm happy to hear that he/they are still around in some form. 

Yeah, it was a thing where he was shutting down his website and selling off everything he had remaining in stock. I have no idea as to what was going on with life, or what the plan was but I’m glad to see him getting back in the saddle.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Adrift said:

Yeah, it was a thing where he was shutting down his website and selling off everything he had remaining in stock. I have no idea as to what was going on with life, or what the plan was but I’m glad to see him getting back in the saddle.


It was a combo of rising metal prices, and his eyesight starting to degrade to the point he could no longer sculpt green stuff.
 

He came onto an episode of Clever Crow’s twitch show, and Bobby (and the commenters) encouraged him to learn Z-brush so he could start sculpting digitally. 
 

A year or so later, he ran a KS (last December-ish?) for new models and Z-brush resculpted versions of many of his Norse models. 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The bee-folk lancer on a bumble-steed is absolutely precious - bravo on that!  In a world full of dragons, goblins, orcs, skellies, beardy-wizards, beardy mc-axe-dwarfs, stoic elf rangers, sneaky mc-stabby-rogues, and dual-wielding muscle-barians, It's most often the offbeat stuff like the bee-folk that end up being the most fun for me.  Hard to say when it might be a hit or a miss for me, but this time, it was definitely a hit.

 

Wow, I'm surprised almost nobody remembered that Animaniacs bit - I wonder if I'm that much younger, or that much older than everyone else???  Yes, it was from the '90s era of the show, and yes, it sailed right by the network censors somehow at a time when almost nothing was getting by the censors.  Network Standards and Practices had to have known what they were OK'ing, and must have figured it was subtle enough that the kids wouldn't get it until they were much older, while parent's would have appreciated that sort of thing much more.  '90s Animaniacs had a couple moments like that in every episode, actually, and a lot those jokes actually directly referenced the censors and whatever they would allow - the censors must have had a better sense of humor than we'd give them credit for! 😄 

 

 

Spoiler
  • (A lazy Michaelangelo schemes to get the Warner kids to paint the ceiling of the Cistine Chapel for him)
  • Yakko: "Wait a second, you expect us poor innocent children to climb dangerous scaffoldings and paint naked people all over a church?"
  • (Michaelangelo looks guilty...)
  • Yakko, Wakko & Dot together: "We'll do it!"
  • Yakko: "But we're not doing it for the sake of money, and we're not doing it for the sake of art! No! We're doing it because... we like painting naked people!"

Or,

  • (Wakko grabs a statue of his psychiatrist's head and shoulders from the shrink's desk)
  • Wakko:  "Oh look - a giant Pez dispenser!  Want one?"
  • Yakko:  "Please!"
  • Dr. Scratchansniff:  "Hey, stop playing with my bust!"
  • Yakko blows a kiss to the fourth wall:   "Good night, everybody!"

 

Or:

  • (The Warner kids are sent to school)
  • Miss Flamiel:  "Yakko!  Can you conjugate?"
  • Yakko:  "Who, me?  Why, I've never even kissed a girl!"
  • Miss Flamiel:  "No, no no!  It's easy, here, I'll conjugate with you!"
  • Yakko, to the fourth wall:  "Good night, everybody!"
  • Miss Flamiel:  "No, you don't understand - here, let me go to the board and show you!"
  • Yakko, to the fourth wall:  "Don't look!"

 

Or,

  • (The Warner kids, meeting an ill-tempered but famous composer)
  • Kids:  "Who are you?"
  • Beethoven:  "I am Ludvig Von Beethoven, world-famous pianist!"
  • (the kids look at each other, confused by his accent and pronunciation of "pianist")
  • Yakko:  "You're a WHAT?"
  • Beethoven:  "Pianist!  I'm a Pianist!"
  • Yakko, to the fourth wall:  "Good night, everybody!"
  • Beethoven:  "But that is what I am - a pianist!"
  • Yakko:  "I think we've heard just about enough from you."

Or,

  • (the Warner Kids rescue a turkey from the first thanksgiving)
  • Miles Standish:  "Begone, ye little pests, and give me the bird!"
  • Yakko:  "We'd love to, really!  But the Fox censors won't allow it."

 

 

And that was just a few examples from the first season of the original '90s series. 

 

To be fair, the Warner Brothers (and their Warner Sister, Dot) modeled most of their shtick on old Vaudeville comedy acts, who could get just about as rowdy....

 

 

Those bugbears look great - I might not get them as a separate option, since I've already got a bunch more than I actually use from past Kickstarters, but had they been included in the core set or the Denizens set, I would hardly have complained about seeing them.  The fire newts are at least as cool though - can't wait to see what kind of psychedelic colours they might get painted into....

 

01363287.jpg

 

 

Edited by YronimosW
  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think one of the things I appreciate most about the fire newts is the choice of weaponry.

 

A serrated two-hander, unique staff, scimitar, and the spiky-spiked mace are all great choices.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Adrift said:

I think one of the things I appreciate most about the fire newts is the choice of weaponry.

 

A serrated two-hander, unique staff, scimitar, and the spiky-spiked mace are all great choices.

I concur. As an avid spiky mace/Morningstar/club-with-a-nail enjoyer, I’m really appreciating the newts and bugbears. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...