Jump to content

Bones 6 Enthusiasm and Commentary


Chaoswolf

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, GoldenPiggy said:

There are much worse problems to have.

 

I'm glad I have some time to think about how to explain the sheer volume of miniatures that will be arriving in 18-24 months.  She already thinks I have too many miniatures...

 

I added up the number of individual figures/paints and it came to about 1.35 per item, including the lighthouse.  Compare that to what you'd normally spend. 

 

Divided by 24 months, for me it came out to about $12.50 in spending a month, which is cheaper than any trip to the hobby store ever costs.  :) 

 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, bearsman6 said:

So, as a KS newbie looking to spend several hundred on this pledge manager, what can I expect for shipping costs? Guss I'm trying to budget better.

 

I'm definitely in for Core, 2 expansions, and at least 3 add-ons. Just wondering if any vets have insight, because the stuff at the bottom of the KS page just confused me lol

 

From KS: 

 

Core Set – 12x10x3.5 – Weight – 4 pounds

Expansion Set 1 – 7.5x4.75x6 – Weight – 1.5 pounds

Expansion Set 2 – 7x4x5 – Weight – 1 pound

Bagged Options – Weight - .5 pound

 

So, Core weighs 4lbs, expansions are 1-1.5lbs each and your add-ons are half a lb each. Let's call that 8.5 lbs.   Now go look up UPS or USPS prices for shipping from Texas to your address.... (Reapers factory address is somewhere on their web site if you need a zip code for the calculator)   That will give you the current shipping rates.  Expect it to go up a few bucks before your box of goodies is ready. 

 

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Star in VA said:

I pledged enough to get the Core Set and all the Expansions with the Anniversary Dragon, the Lighthouse and the Owlbear set. 

 

I know that my problem will be how long the pledge manager stays open.  It will be the same problem I had with Bones 5.  I've bought all the big stuff and it is payday and i will just get a Phoenix Egg set and some Ants.  It's only a couple extra bucks.....next payday....I'm just going to get some Bugbears and an extra set of Lancers......6 months and 12 paychecks later, I have a 65 pound box of little plastic people show up and my door and I try explaining to my wife....honestly I only bought a few things, while holding 3 lighthouses and large army of gnolls.

 

I think I might have a problem 🙂

SAAAAMEEEE, my wallet is not ready but my airbrush is

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, msfnc said:

While I understand that you’re referring to isopropyl alcohol, the phrase “3D printing requires gallons of IPA” makes me chuckle from up here in PNW über-hopped beervana. 

Yes, whilst I also understood 1dunnj probably meant isopropyl alcohol, I much prefer it to be India Pale Ale, and many other varieties of beery goodness.

 

1 hour ago, GoldenPiggy said:

have too many miniatures...

Surely that is a complete oxymoron? or maybe a chimera..

 

1 hour ago, Star in VA said:

I think I might have a problem 🙂

Just point out to your wife that you could have some other sorts of problems, like addiction to illegal substances. And, anyway, all the time you spend at home on your little people, is time that she knows where you are, and that you are not getting upto something.

Edited by Pangolin d'AntEater
edit for sensible ness.
  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I did end up pledging all of the money I set aside for the in campaign part of this Kickstarter. And depending on whether or not they put more stuff in the pledge manager I really don't have to cough up much more money to get everything I want. Which is definitely a good thing. Though it could get more expensive than anticipated as I keep asking myself if that's enough ants or if I should get more. 

 

In the end, I was happy with this Kickstarter. It has a good diversity of minis, it had a lot of stuff that appeals to me, and because it was noticeably smaller I can afford to likely get every single thing I want by the time the pledge manager closes. 

 

I'm a little surprised that some of the stuff was ks exclusive this time around, but I imagine that let's Reaper produce some fun models that would be too costly to bring to market for one reason or another without tons of folks complaining about it never being released. And it's nice to know which models aren't coming to retail up front so I can get extras now if I think I'll want them later. 

 

My only disappointment is the complete lack of wetland scientists in the bog encounter. I mean it's cool and all, and I'll likely pick up more than one set, but I have a need for minis in chest waders. 

 

Finally, I'm hoping (fingers crossed and offerings made to the elder gods of international shipping) that the smaller size of this campaign ends up translating to a faster than stated fulfillment time. I'm not holding my breath, but Reaper seems to know what they're doing as regards manufacturing and shipping millions of plastic toys, so there's always a chance!

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
11 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

 Though it could get more expensive than anticipated as I keep asking myself if that's enough ants or if I should get more.

You need to get more.::P:

  • Haha 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Finally, I'm hoping (fingers crossed and offerings made to the elder gods of international shipping) that the smaller size of this campaign ends up translating to a faster than stated fulfillment time. I'm not holding my breath, but Reaper seems to know what they're doing as regards manufacturing and shipping millions of plastic toys, so there's always a chance!

I'll echo this.  Hoping for a quick turnaround and hoping Reaper reveals some of the missing stretch goals either in the PM or in the form of Bones USA releases.  I watched part of the stream on Saturday, and Ron spoke of halflings that didn't quite get done in time, for instance, plus they have Legendary Tales we didn't see.  I was happy to see the known stretch goals get unlocked with lower values than originally planned, but that could make "power ups" in the PM less likely.  Those missing dollars have to come from somewhere.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

So in the end, I pledged on almost one of everything EXCEPT: the men at arms; no paints (for now); no extras.

 

Current total pledge: $593 before S&H.

 

I too have to wonder now if B6 will be quicker and easier to produce as it's overall smaller than the previous ones.

 

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GoldenPiggy said:

There are much worse problems to have.

 

I'm glad I have some time to think about how to explain the sheer volume of miniatures that will be arriving in 18-24 months.  She already thinks I have too many miniatures...

 

So, taking the comment about too many miniatures practically, there are at least four realistic objections that I can see:

 

1) Too many miniatures in the sense of “cost too much”; family budget issues are always a fraught topic, and, personally, I’d think the best approach would be for each partner to have an allowance or spending limit for personal expenditures below which it would be agreed that no questions would be asked nor recriminations hurled.  If you are currently above that level, well, that’s definitely a problem…but, as @Inarah points out, the per miniature cost on a Reaper Kickstarter is very favorable.

 

2) Too many miniatures in the sense of “no time to paint”; there’s certainly a potentially valid objection if the intention is to paint them up and the painting speed vis-a-vis time available vis-a-vis number of miniatures comes up with an answer measured in an unreasonable number of years (measured on an appropriate sliding sclae…my actuarial remaining life span is probably ~25 years, for example, so a 50 year supply of minis might reasonably be argued to be “too many”).

 

3) Too many miniatures in the sense of “won’t get used in a game”; that’s harder to measure, because games change.  My largest games ordinarily use something in the hundreds of miniatures per side, and one might reasonably want more than two forces available.  If you are doing RPGs rather than batle-scale miniatures, those numbers might reasonably be expected to be somewhat smaller.

 

4) Too many miniatures in the sense of “running out of storage space”; I’ve posted pictures of my basement storage area; it’s practically full, and it’s not unreasonable of my wife to want to be able to move around the house without tripping over my stuff (nor do I want my stuff to get stepped on…). That’s also a sliding scale; if I moved to someplace with a smaller basement, or if, like my son, I was limited to a smallish closet, there would be a much lower upper limit on what I could reasonably store.  As I paint, by the way, the painted miniatures are stored in boxes with a fair amount of void volume, so a pile of miniatures grows in storage volume as it is worked through.

 

For reference, here are some basement pictures: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/97576-randomness-xviii-ex-vee-triple-eye/&do=findComment&comment=2066574

 

 

Different emphases on the original objection would tend to require different responses.  

 

Edited by Rob Dean
Added link to post with storage pictures
  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

I will grab the Nightmare from core and the Wyverns from DD if they ever reach retail

 

 

 

JUST IMO but by the time the Wyverns and Nightmare come out, they'll be almost or more expensive than getting the whole expansion now.  A regular Bones US figure can hit $6.99 for a human sized figure.  It's unlikley that the prices will go down in 2+ years.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

I added up the number of individual figures/paints and it came to about 1.35 per item, including the lighthouse.  Compare that to what you'd normally spend. 

 

Divided by 24 months, for me it came out to about $12.50 in spending a month, which is cheaper than any trip to the hobby store ever costs.  🙂

 

This is an excellent argument that rests on the highly dubious assumption that I will not still make trips to the hobby store, or buy other minis.

 

3 hours ago, Pangolin d'AntEater said:

Surely that is a complete oxymoron? or maybe a chimera..

 

Oh, I absolutely agree that there is no such thing as too many miniatures.  My wife, however has different ideas about that...

 

1 hour ago, Rob Dean said:

 

So, taking the comment about too many miniatures practically, there are at least four realistic objections that I can see:

 

1) Too many miniatures in the sense of “cost too much”; family budget issues are always a fraught topic, and, personally, I’d think the best approach would be for each partner to have an allowance or spending limit for personal expenditures below which it would be agreed that no questions would be asked nor recriminations hurled.  If you are currently above that level, well, that’s definitely a problem…but, as @Inarah points out, the per miniature cost on a Reaper Kickstarter is very favorable.

 

2) Too many miniatures in the sense of “no time to paint”; there’s certainly a potentially valid objection if the intention is to paint them up and the painting speed vis-a-vis time available vis-a-vis number of miniatures comes up with an answer measured in an unreasonable number of years (measured on an appropriate sliding sclae…my actuarial remaining life span is probably ~25 years, for example, so a 50 year supply of minis might reasonably be argued to be “too many”).

 

3) Too many miniatures in the sense of “won’t get used in a game”; that’s harder to measure, because games change.  My largest games ordinarily use something in the hundreds of miniatures per side, and one might reasonably want more than two forces available.  If you are doing RPGs rather than batle-scale miniatures, those numbers might reasonably be expected to be somewhat smaller.

 

4) Too many miniatures in the sense of “running out of storage space”; I’ve posted pictures of my basement storage area; it’s practically full, and it’s not unreasonable of my wife to want to be able to move around the house without tripping over my stuff (nor do I want my stuff to get stepped on…). That’s also a sliding scale; if I moved to someplace with a smaller basement, or if, like my son, I was limited to a smallish closet, there would be a much lower upper limit on what I could reasonably store.  As I paint, by the way, the painted miniatures are stored in boxes with a fair amount of void volume, so a pile of miniatures grows in storage volume as it is worked through.

 

For reference, here are some basement pictures: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/97576-randomness-xviii-ex-vee-triple-eye/&do=findComment&comment=2066574

 

 

Different emphases on the original objection would tend to require different responses.  

 

 

For the record, it was an offhanded comment, not a major objection.  I am a long ways from ruining my marriage here.  (Though if she forced me to choose between her and the minis...)  These are excellent points, though.  My wife is not into miniatures or RPGs or related areas at all, all part of our marriage that works despite a lack of common interests.  Fortunately, I can afford this hobby without any real budget concerns; this was not true, say, ten years ago, which is part of the reason why I only took up this hobby again recently.  Whether I get them painted or actually use them in a game are non-issues as long as I can work out #4: storage.  She hates clutter, and she invariably sees miniatures as clutter.  I do need to work out storage solutions, though, as my miniatures currently don't really fit in the containers I have for them.  If I can solve that problem, my big Bones 6 order should cause no real marital difficulties.  Your storage system looks really good, though; I think I need to abandon my efforts to create low-budget storage and just buy nicer plastic boxes for the figures.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, GoldenPiggy said:

  She hates clutter, and she invariably sees miniatures as clutter.  I do need to work out storage solutions, though, as my miniatures currently don't really fit in the containers I have for them.  If I can solve that problem, my big Bones 6 order should cause no real marital difficulties.  Your storage system looks really good, though; I think I need to abandon my efforts to create low-budget storage and just buy nicer plastic boxes for the figures.

 

You might even enlist her help to go shopping for storage containers that she likes, which also fit your needs.  Instead of hating the clutter, she can be part of the solution.  Then you both get what you want. 

 

 

2 hours ago, JoeGKushner said:

 

JUST IMO but by the time the Wyverns and Nightmare come out, they'll be almost or more expensive than getting the whole expansion now.  A regular Bones US figure can hit $6.99 for a human sized figure.  It's unlikley that the prices will go down in 2+ years.

 

Well, the Nightmare is in Core, so you'd have to want more than one figure to buy that.   Based on sizes shown on twitch, compared to the current bones wyvern, and the temple dragon (both sculpted by Julie) I expect retail for each of the new wyverns to be ~$8-10.  I'd have to strongly desire more out of Denizens to pledge for it now. 

 

3 hours ago, Serenity said:

Ron spoke of halflings that didn't quite get done in time, for instance, plus they have Legendary Tales we didn't see.  

 

I'm still wondering what happened with the Legendary Tales.  They made such a big deal about it before the project, I was expecting it to be like B5, and then we only saw 2, and then 2 added in the final minutes.  And the Bog kind of looks like it was thrown together at the last minute. 

 

 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, bearsman6 said:

So, as a KS newbie looking to spend several hundred on this pledge manager, what can I expect for shipping costs? Guss I'm trying to budget better.

 

I'm definitely in for Core, 2 expansions, and at least 3 add-ons. Just wondering if any vets have insight, because the stuff at the bottom of the KS page just confused me lol

Shipping costs are definitely different now than they were during the B5 pledge manager, and likely will be more changes between now and when B6 ships. However, for an idea, here is what I spent on B5 and what I was charged for shipping from Denton to Iowa:


By the time the B5 pledge manager had closed, I had spent $920, which included the core, the pirate ship, 3 expansions and a lot more.  Reaper charged me $56.81 for shipping for all of that.  I expect shipping for B6 will be anywhere from 1.25 to 2x more than the equivalent for B5.  I'm personally going to be budgeting 10% of my pledge manager spending (including KS credit) for shipping. 

 

 

3 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

3) Too many miniatures in the sense of “won’t get used in a game”; that’s harder to measure, because games change.  My largest games ordinarily use something in the hundreds of miniatures per side, and one might reasonably want more than two forces available.  If you are doing RPGs rather than batle-scale miniatures, those numbers might reasonably be expected to be somewhat smaller.

I think a lot of people put far more stock in this than they should when it comes to the core sets & expansions that won't arrive for 1.5-2 years, and it should only be a factor in determining what you're buying/keeping as a result of limitations caused by 1 & 4. 

TBH, I wasn't all that excited about the cores for B3 - B6 while the Kickstarters themselves were running. But I learned from B1 and B2 that the things that excited me about the Core Sets might not occur until months, even years after I actually received them.  Every core set in B1 to B5 so far has eventually made me happy I bought it.  During B6 I agreed with a lot of the various reasons people said it wasn't interesting to them, but I'm going to buy it anyway, because I'm pretty sure 2024 or 2025 me will be mad at 2022 me if I don't. 

Then again, I'm fortunate that my wife and I have hobby budgets, and have had homes large enough in the last 15 years to have dedicated gaming spaces.

As far as #2, having too many minis to paint in a lifetime?  Yeah, I passed that threshold sometime around 1998.   These days, it's about having enough stock of interesting stuff to paint & play with during my retirement years when a limited income will put a dent in my monthly hobby budget.   That's one of the things I really like about gaming and painting minis.  I can "invest" in them when I have money, and still enjoy them when I don't.  Not many recreational activities like that these days. 

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JoeGKushner said:

 

JUST IMO but by the time the Wyverns and Nightmare come out, they'll be almost or more expensive than getting the whole expansion now.  A regular Bones US figure can hit $6.99 for a human sized figure.  It's unlikley that the prices will go down in 2+ years.

 

Not in the slightest

 

No matter how much the wyverns cost at retail, they are NOT going to be $25 a piece

 

And the nightmare is not going to be a $125 miniature

 

I'm not sure why you think they will be even remotely comparable 

 

If I have 0 need and 0 want for 99% of the miniatures in the core / DD expansion why on earth would I drop $175 for the 3 minis i DO want?

 

And IF the wyverns do end up retailing for $25? Then I won't buy them because that price is outrageous for something that size, simple as that 

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm fairly confident we'll see the wyvern and the nightmare at retail. If they'll stay in stock for longer than a hot second is a different question, but they don't seem to be the kinds of miniatures Reaper might run into trouble with. They're not so large as to need special packaging and they don't seem particularly fiddely/difficult to cast either.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...