Bones 6 Enthusiasm and Commentary

Chaoswolf

43 minutes ago, ttuckerman said:

But they always told users to pledge in Kickstarter to up the unlocks.

this,
if they wanted to make the pledge manager into a second kickstarter
it makes no sense
but i'm up for it if we're made aware of it

• Like 1

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

@oldschoolfan--thanks. I'm glad you liked the pics.

Yes, Reaper will PROBABLY add more stuff to the pledge manager; they have in the past. It's not guaranteed though.

MOD VOICE:

A quick reminder though: i get that you might find people expressing thier negative feelings annoying,  but they ARE allowed to express them here.

To everyone else: just as you are allowed to complain all you want, oldschoolfan is also allowed to express his/her opinions. 

If you're offended and feeling like picking a fight: DON'T. 

indeed. We can have CIVIL disagreements without calling out insults or being nasty about it

and YES i'm still bringing it up, and i will continue to do so 🙂 I'm frustrated, annoyed, disappointed, and weary. This is my ONLY place to voice about it, especially when new pictures are shown of stuff we could have had instead of something we have dozens and dozens of already. So yup! be prepared for me to continue talking about it whenever we see something really cool that would have added something NEW to the line instead of more 'just more of X monster in similar poses to the numerous other minis of that monster we already have'

i do like that dragon diorama, and i'd love another draogn bust. And the chibi pathfinder dragon. Let's see if Reaper will do somethign with them now that the KS is over, i'd put in more money for those

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I've enjoyed reading people's opinions here, both positive and negative, throughout the Kickstarter.  I'm not influenced by what other people think or say, but I do like to read opinions, because sometimes they help me understand why I think the way I do. 

I don't look at social media, so half the time I don't know what people are talking about, but I'm fine with that.   I know people here, and am familiar with their points of view, so I can read what they say and see where they are coming from. 

Since it's over now, I can express myself without being perceived to be trying to bring down the enthusiasm, in case anyone finds my opinion useful to think about.  I doubt I have anything new to add, but I'm feeling chatty.

Looking over the whole project, it looks good, but very repetitive of past Bones kickstarters, so there was disappointingly little to attract me.  It seems like a project for new backers.    Also, there were no cool left-field surprises here, like a froghemoth or Baba Yaga's hut or some wild Lovecraft monster like Cthulhu from the first Bones.  That was a mind-blower of a reveal.

I would have loved to throw money at it, and was surprised that for the first time I didn't even get in on the pledge manager.  I wasn't a fan of all the post-Kickstarter "Power-ups" in the pledge manager last time.  I just found it confusing.  I want to submit my pledge and forget about it, not keep looking at the pledge manager to see if there is anything else that's been added. 

Ironically, Reaper is probably the only company that I would trust with any Kickstarter money right now, but all the social media stuff and the twitch (?) streams and all the digital sculpts (I just can't visualize them in my head) just don't do it for me. 

I'm not trying to dampen the enthusiasm of others.  Just my point of view!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sirithiliel said:

i do like that dragon diorama, and i'd love another draogn bust. And the chibi pathfinder dragon. Let's see if Reaper will do somethign with them now that the KS is over, i'd put in more money for those

Dragons always get attention, and any that are well done are likely to sell well.  Just a matter of waiting to see what they do with them.  It is curious they thought other things were more important, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

23 minutes ago, Carnacki the Ghost Finder said:

I don't look at social media, so half the time I don't know what people are talking about, but I'm fine with that.   I know people here, and am familiar with their points of view, so I can read what they say and see where they are coming from. 

Thanks to helpful people who take the time, most of the cool Twitch reveals make it to this thread.  Honestly, that shouldn't be necessary.  Those things should go into newsletters and posts from Reaper so everyone can see them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Carnacki the Ghost Finder said:

Also, there were no cool left-field surprises here, like a froghemoth or Baba Yaga's hut or some wild Lovecraft monster like Cthulhu from the first Bones.  That was a mind-blower of a reveal.

I feel like there were some surprises, like the beefolk and honeythorn lancer, the scarabfolk, and the werehippo.  Both the ants and the mongrelfolk felt surprising at the time, as did the giant crayfish, though in retrospect these are fairly conventional monsters that are not often produced as miniatures.  What was missing was not surprises but BIG surprises.  In general, Reaper went smaller this time around, which I suspect has a lot to do with production capabilities and issues.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

indeed. We can have CIVIL disagreements without calling out insults or being nasty about it

and YES i'm still bringing it up, and i will continue to do so 🙂 I'm frustrated, annoyed, disappointed, and weary. This is my ONLY place to voice about it, especially when new pictures are shown of stuff we could have had instead of something we have dozens and dozens of already. So yup! be prepared for me to continue talking about it whenever we see something really cool that would have added something NEW to the line instead of more 'just more of X monster in similar poses to the numerous other minis of that monster we already have'

I'm assuming this was meant for me, not ChaosWolf.

First off, I insulted NO ONE. If you were upset about my use of the word 'whining' I'm sorry, but it does accurately describe a lot of what is going on in this thread.

Secondly, It's not all about you.

On April 27th, you said:  I like 5 things from the core. So still a big 'no' from me Now if only the orcs and gnolls we're in the core and the newts and bird people were add ons =/

On April 30th, you said: agreed, legendary tales / encounters were what i was really looking forward to this KS and dragons and other big beasties

So, by your own admission, you're not interested in great big chunks of this KS and pretty much only want dragons and big monsters. That's fine. Saying so is fine. The part that aggravates me is your assertion that Reaper should have made more of what YOU want instead of "something we have dozens and dozens of already" that might be stuff that other people want. That's exactly the same as me rampaging through the thread and saying "ho-hum, another dragon/big monster, they should've made (whatever thing I wanted) ".  I'm sure it would annoy people and I'd get called out for it.

(By the way, there are 24 dragons in the store. That's not counting hatchlings, chibi versions, or dragon like things like Wyverns. Just dragons. So more dragons wouldn't be exactly 'new')

Now, to be fair, I do agree with you. Sort of. Rather than seeing Reaper commission a sculptor to create a handful of new orcs, I'd much rather that they go back and get the sculptor that made some of the orcs they've already got to make some more in the same style as the existing ones, but in new poses. I'm absolutely chuffed that they got Bobby Jackson to make some more of the same style orcs. I don't know if he used any Angus McBride artwork for inspiration, but all of the orcs in this KS match some of the existing ones, which are aesthetically very similar to the illustrations that Mr. McBride did for the old Middle Earth role playing game. I happen to love those illustrations, so I think having a bunch of figures that look like them is awesome. Between the ones I'll be getting whenever this delivers and the ones already in existence, I've got a pretty big group of figures that look like they belong together without having any duplicates. That is something I'd like to see Reaper do more of.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, oldschoolfan said:

I'm assuming this was meant for me, not ChaosWolf.

First off, I insulted NO ONE. If you were upset about my use of the word 'whining' I'm sorry, but it does accurately describe a lot of what is going on in this thread.

Secondly, It's not all about you.

On April 27th, you said:  I like 5 things from the core. So still a big 'no' from me Now if only the orcs and gnolls we're in the core and the newts and bird people were add ons =/

On April 30th, you said: agreed, legendary tales / encounters were what i was really looking forward to this KS and dragons and other big beasties

So, by your own admission, you're not interested in great big chunks of this KS and pretty much only want dragons and big monsters. That's fine. Saying so is fine. The part that aggravates me is your assertion that Reaper should have made more of what YOU want instead of "something we have dozens and dozens of already" that might be stuff that other people want. That's exactly the same as me rampaging through the thread and saying "ho-hum, another dragon/big monster, they should've made (whatever thing I wanted) ".  I'm sure it would annoy people and I'd get called out for it.

(By the way, there are 24 dragons in the store. That's not counting hatchlings, chibi versions, or dragon like things like Wyverns. Just dragons. So more dragons wouldn't be exactly 'new')

Now, to be fair, I do agree with you. Sort of. Rather than seeing Reaper commission a sculptor to create a handful of new orcs, I'd much rather that they go back and get the sculptor that made some of the orcs they've already got to make some more in the same style as the existing ones, but in new poses. I'm absolutely chuffed that they got Bobby Jackson to make some more of the same style orcs. I don't know if he used any Angus McBride artwork for inspiration, but all of the orcs in this KS match some of the existing ones, which are aesthetically very similar to the illustrations that Mr. McBride did for the old Middle Earth role playing game. I happen to love those illustrations, so I think having a bunch of figures that look like them is awesome. Between the ones I'll be getting whenever this delivers and the ones already in existence, I've got a pretty big group of figures that look like they belong together without having any duplicates. That is something I'd like to see Reaper do more of.

then don't read my posts, i don't know what to tell you.

we are all allowed to say our opinion. And I'm not the only on here who has that opinion and even if you hate it, it HELPS to talk to people feeling the way I am too 

new pictures came up of things i would have liked. So i re-stated my opinion since the subject matter at hand was one that was relevant to what i was saying

i'm sorry i make you so so so very angry with my opinion but i'm allowed to have it and talk about it. Im glad you love the Kickstarter and think it's the bees knees but not everyone here is obligated to be happy for what we missed on and just because time has passed doesn't mean we cannot talk about it.

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, Serenity said:

Thanks to helpful people who take the time, most of the cool Twitch reveals make it to this thread.  Honestly, that shouldn't be necessary.  Those things should go into newsletters and posts from Reaper so everyone can see them. 

I agree.  Lack of consistent communication across all platforms is something that had me back out of the Base Boss 2 Kickstarter, and I spent a good two weeks debating about whether or not to put money into Bones 6.  I eventually left the money in, but it's saddening to see so many cool options that could have been, things Reaper is known for putting out awesome versions of, and we never even got to try and unlock them. 

What's weird though is they continue to maintain that any and all official information is only through the Kickstarter updates, but they will do a ton of teasing through Twitch (or Facebook) yet ignore all the other things out there that could genuinely help push the Kickstarter campaign further.  It would have been neat to have a Twitch reveal, and then a few hours later a Kickstarter update with "hey, we're considering this sculpt, tell us your thoughts on it", which would allow the live "exclusivity" of Twitch, but also hit the rest of the target market. 

This time around felt kind of weird to me, because a trend had been set with previous campaigns, with a decent amount of large sized models, yet this time we didn't get much at all of such. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

This time around felt kind of weird to me, because a trend had been set with previous campaigns, with a decent amount of large sized models, yet this time we didn't get much at all of such. 

They have probably found after doing 5 of these, that the large size models have limited potential post Kickstarter.  They seldom go to retail for a variety of reasons, including actual cost to produce, and difficulty and expense in doing custom packaging.  And, if they do go into production, they probably don't sell as well after the Kickstarter hype is done and gone, and are also hard to keep in stock.  I would also imagine brick and mortar stores would rather stock multiple small figure blisters in the same wall/shelf space that one large model takes up. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, oldschoolfan said:

I suggest, with the best of intentions, that if you want to see less of it, then stop bringing it up, because it irritates people here.  And they will rehash the way that they feel and we'll be discussing each other instead of the KS project and what might be coming up in the pledge manager. 

3 hours ago, oldschoolfan said:

Rather than seeing Reaper commission a sculptor to create a handful of new orcs, I'd much rather that they go back and get the sculptor that made some of the orcs they've already got to make some more in the same style as the existing ones, but in new poses. I'm absolutely chuffed that they got Bobby Jackson to make some more of the same style orcs.

I do agree that consistency of style is a big influence in purchasing decisions.  I don't need any more orcs, but if I did I'd want them to match the ones I already have.  

Meanwhile, I'm happy to see Christine come on board with all her fantastic fey and otherworldly sculpts. She has a fresh new style which is very welcome in the Reaper lineup. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I'm surprised by not bringing out more showstopper type figures in favor of bread and butter ones, but the showstoppers probably don't do as well post-KS. It would have been more tempting for me with shiny dragons. Because.... dragons. I ended up with $50 in. Likely will add another ~$80 on the PM. Which is.... 10% of previous ones >.> 

I do think smaller Kickstarters is a good idea for management, so I am not upset there. Less drama during fulfillment, less factors to go wrong at once. 

Here's hoping for a Bones VI sooner rather than later with the goodies that didn't get in this time. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Here's hoping for a Bones VI sooner rather than later with the goodies that didn't get in this time. 

Silly side of me is all "I dunno, I'd prefer paint to be shipped in June versus April" but that's just the silly side of me. ^_^;;;

7 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I'm surprised by not bringing out more showstopper type figures in favor of bread and butter ones, but the showstoppers probably don't do as well post-KS. It would have been more tempting for me with shiny dragons. Because.... dragons. 

Maybe they should try to have more sets that combine shiny dragons (or other flashy Kickstarter models that don't sell well in retail) with mundane creatures.  Put a dragon against a party of adventurers, call the dragon a Kickstarter exclusive, then just sell the adventurers that bring in retail dollars.  Have a dragon with kobold hirelings.  Make a Cthulhu mythos monster surrounded by zombies.  In each case, the flashy thing drives Kickstarter pledges that pay for molds for the future retail product, and by making at least some of the big things KS exclusive, it removes the expectation that they need to bring the big things to the store.  Just an idea; I have no particular expertise in marketing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 5/21/2022 at 5:54 PM, GoldenPiggy said:

I just had a thought.  What if Reaper deliberately tried to keep the Kickstarter numbers lower, fully intending to release a bunch of other things in the Pledge Manager to get the total amount to the same level?  Instead of raising, say, $2.5 million in Kickstarter and another $1 million added on during the Pledge Manager phase, they are planning to add a lot of additional stuff in the PM and see more money added there?  $1.8M in KS + $1.7M in the PM is better for them than $2.5M in KS plus $1M in PM, because they lose less money to Kickstarter's fees.  It's (slightly) higher risk because they won't see all of the PM money up front, but in the long run they make more money.

Probably a bit too conspiracy-theory-ish there, but it makes a certain logical sense from a certain perspective (as conspiracy theories often do!).

By getting their KS to a certain level and having more in the tank for the pledge manager phase (which is usually quite long), they don’t have to shell out 10% of their haul to KS. Seems pretty saavy to me.

And (legally) they can always tell KS, “Look here, we are encouraging our backers to pledge on KS and to get more unlocks…”

As a veteran of the 5 prior Bones KSers, I get the frustration of others. I also get the mentality of being thankful for what is there.

I also think that Ron is going to get an earful at ReaperCon this year. 😅

• Like 9
  • Haha 3