Bones 6 Enthusiasm and Commentary

Chaoswolf

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

I’m all for game use over realism. I’d rather minis I can game with than minis that are correctly proportioned.

This x1000. That said, I like the steps. They look just big enough to hold a 1” base, and spaced appropriately for square-counting movement. Imma get one. Or maybe two. 

• Like 3

With the Pledge Manager closing, finalized my order. Here is where I originally posted what I was getting: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/98570-bones-6-enthusiasm-and-commentary/page/172/#comment-2067071

In the end, mostly stayed the same, but ended up replacing the Shadows of Sullenhall Expansion with the Archons of Justice, Horror of the Slaughterwaller, and The Apprentice (unpainted). Although the undead set was overall a really good deal, the power ups all had things that were a lot more unique, at least for my collection. 

And I think that's where I'm at for my collection, actually have made great progress on painting, I'm near done painting all my Bones 4 and 5 (I started with Bones 4) with maybe 50ish miniatures left between the two, so having too many unpainted miniatures isn't an issue. For me, it's more about what actually adds to my collection. I know that Reaper's hearts are in classic dungeon crawls, which is great. My (selfish) hope is that for Bones 7 and beyond there's still a big mixture of new things that aren't in Reaper's collection yet, or even better, aren't really anywhere in the quality that Reaper can provide. It's why despite almost caving in to the Dungeon Dwellers Kickstarter, it wasn't a question of if I want to pay $50 for 37 good-quality miniatures, it was a question of spending $50 for maybe 6ish miniatures that really would've filled in a gap for me. 

Will save my final thoughts for the Kickstarter once I've received the order next year. Bones Kickstarters are, as far as I can still tell, the best deal out there. 

Edited by Peacemonger
  • Like 6

Alright, finally closed out.  The final count...

Core Set x1

Real mixed bag but I often find the minis I didn't like in pictures are my favorite in person.  And the value is too high to say no.

Shadows of Sullenhall x1
This is the last one to make the cut and was saved by the crypt. Should look cool beside the earlier "Obsidian Crypt".

Briarwood Vale x1

Probably the best thing in bones 6.  Can't wait to paint that dragon.

Denizens of the Dungeon x1
Mixed bag but dropping it stopped being an option when "giant slug" and "giant crayfish" entered the equation.

30th Anniversary Dragon x1
God knows if I'll ever actually paint this beast but the FOMO was too strong.

Blacktallow Lighthouse x1
Very excited for this piece.  I have a scenario in mind for it and my recent'ish work on Nethyrmaul.

Storm Giant Queen x1
Lovely sculpt. 

Legendary Tales: The Goblins of Rotstump Bog x1
Also was also on the chopping block but the bonesnapper sold me.

Encounter: Lost Temple of the Deep Ones x1
Best thing in here that isn't Briarwood Vale.  Looks awesome.

Extra Ants! x2
After the big stink I made on page 1 of this topic about being able to buy more of these I was legally obligated to a couple.

Extra Honeythorn Lancers x1
Really hope these guys are separate.  Too unique not to get more.

Extra Stirges Swarm x1
...like, seriously, ungodly amounts of stirges show up in EVERYTHING.  Great to have that sorted now.

Fingers crossed for a breather till Bones 7!  Between Reaper, Archon and the printer I'm rapidly running out of closets to hide my Unfinished Business in!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Any chance that the hand and egg from the Egg of the phoenix will be sold separately at any point?  That hand would make a great hand for bigbys hand.  Otherwise ill stick with my disapproving hands.

I doubt it. Most of the stuff from Bones  

Kickstarters doesn’t even make it to retail.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

Locking in the last of my pledge. Does anyone know what happened to The Apprentice model? It's not in the PM and that was one I was really looking forward to. 😞

What’s weird is, I have one in my cart, still there, but the item isn’t showing on the pm page. Clicking on it in the cart pulls up the item page, but I don’t see it anywhere else on the pm site. No painted version anywhere, either. 

Edited by msfnc
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I still can't decide whether to add the Owlbears.  I decided there just isn't enough that I want in Hakir to justify an extra $50.  But I bought almost everything else.  I just skipped the Chibis, the orcs, and men-at-arms, and the hellborn.  Plus extra wolves, ants, and of course stirges.

On 12/4/2023 at 9:07 PM, AlonTey said:

Extra Stirges Swarm x1

...like, seriously, ungodly amounts of stirges show up in EVERYTHING.  Great to have that sorted now.

I agree, but why stop at one extra set?  I'm getting two, and pondering a third.  Even if I don't get that one more, I will be able to throw a swarm of about 30 stirges at players, which sounds like a lot of fun.  For me, not them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoldenPiggy said:

I still can't decide whether to add the Owlbears.  I decided there just isn't enough that I want in Hakir to justify an extra $50.  But I bought almost everything else.  I just skipped the Chibis, the orcs, and men-at-arms, and the hellborn.  Plus extra wolves, ants, and of course stirges.

I hear you on Hakir. I ended up selecting it, but was the next on my list that would've been replaced if there'd been more Power Ups. I respect people who love the terrain pieces, but for me, I wonder how much better the set would feel if the archway, pillars, and walls were replaced by 1-2 more gods, couple heroes, some beasts, etc. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GoldenPiggy said:

I agree, but why stop at one extra set?  I'm getting two, and pondering a third.  Even if I don't get that one more, I will be able to throw a swarm of about 30 stirges at players, which sounds like a lot of fun.  For me, not them.

Hah!  I'm hoping, somehow, that the 10 here, the 2 from Rotstump Bog and my 2 old metal stirges will suffice.  I hope any players can forgive my lack of diligence in case of a 1-20 stirge themed campaign being released.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AlonTey said:

Hah!  I'm hoping, somehow, that the 10 here, the 2 from Rotstump Bog and my 2 old metal stirges will suffice.  I hope any players can forgive my lack of diligence in case of a 1-20 stirge themed campaign being released.

Rotstump Bog actually has three, so that will make fifteen, and you are probably right about that being enough.  I think I have seven already, plus three from Rotstump Bog, and two extra sets of ten will make thirty.  Maybe that is overkill.  On the other hand, six bucks buys me ten more, and it would only be $18 for another thirty...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GoldenPiggy said:

I've done that before, along with two "primal sharks" aka huge base, while the PCs were in a small boat in a underground lake.::D:

Stirges attacked anything, but of course no one was allies. It was a fun encounter, players love it.

• Like 2