Bones 6 Enthusiasm and Commentary

Chaoswolf

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, AlonTey said:

I mostly get minis for the DM side of the table so what gets me most excited would be big monsters and goons in a variety of poses (can't stand duplicate minis). 

Yup, yup, yup! Mostly because I get the urge to batch paint identical sculpts because I think it'll "go faster", and then I end up taking an annoyingly long time just working on the same sculpt, doing the same thing over and over.

I backed Bardsung because I really liked the Hobgoblin sculpts, but now I have a lot of duplicate minis in a (frankly, far too big) box, and I'm not looking forward to that very much, though I'm still happy with them and definitely with some of the individual sculpts.

That's why "Sullenhall" still could tempt me, if only because it comes with a variety of skeletons and ghosts all in the same style, that would look good on the table together. I just really have to think if I prefer those to just getting an actual wargaming kit from another manufacturer when the time comes to actually have ghosts and skeletons, because that's the thing, there's plenty of alternatives out there.

When you get a weird sculpt that you don't see very often (like hobgoblins, which now I have a bunch of; or kuo-toa or troglodytes, or bullywugs, or, or, or...), and there's enough variety, that's really really exciting.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

What am I, some kind of monster? ....hmmm maybe don't answer that. 🙃

<looks at icon>

<looks at emphasized>

<looks at icon again>

Umm... wasn't that the point?

😉 💜 👾

To be constructive (yeah, yeah, I know... shaddap, allayouse) I think trying to compare performance for this Kickstarter, compared to the previous ones, is a no-sell just because we're absolutely in uncharted stars now. Like, that's always the case - history doesn't repeat, even if it rhymes, and there's been weirdness and developments with every Reaper Kickstarter - massive increases in shipping rates during Bones 1 and 2, Brexit for Bones  4 (to a lesser extent) and 5 (especially), etc.

But... this is different. The confluence of Covid, and shipping snafu, and increased petrochemical costs, and unrest, uneasiness and downright uncivilized behavior in Eastern Europe, political unrest and weirdness pretty much everywhere in the world, economic disruptions, inequality, and everything else? Heck, things that could be chaos-butterflying the kickstarter without even showing any signs of it, because chaos and probability are weird that's the whole point?

Yeah. I don't think Bones 6 is 'suffering' because of any one thing, and a lot of it is things that Reaper can't really do anything about - and, in some cases, it's super-petty and even mean-spirited to lay the blame at their feet, or even raise the topic. And, as Ed said last night - a Bones Kickstarter isn't supposed to be all things for everyone - they know that not everyone is going to be super-enthused with every mini, and some of them are going to be no-sales for some people. But one one person's trash that's another person's come up - every mini in Bones Six, I guarantee, has someone who just can't wait to get it and paint it.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snitchythedog said:

I would suggest that Reaper think about previewing 3 or so items to unlock as was done periodically throughout the last five kickstarters.  Seeing what is upcoming is as much incentive as what has been unlocked.  My two cents.

I think currently they are previewing at least 8 future unlocks on the Kickstarter page.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Chaoswolf
This post was recognized by Chaoswolf!

"Good post."

izzylobo was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 1 points.

So, this is maybe kind of mean (not intentionally, but possibly unavoidably), and sad, posting. I split this one off from the other part.

And, I'm going to drop this behind a spoiler, because it's kind of long (Izzys - well, this Izzy, anyways - are werdy).

Spoiler

And, yeah, I think some of us who have been around since Bones 1 are maybe a little jaded. We've got pounds and pounds and pounds of Bonesium, and HIPS and PVC and resin and pewter in our basements or paint shops or garages, we've seen it all, and we don't need another dwarf fighter in plate armor with an axe, no matter how cool they are.

But... for someone? That's the first female dwarf fighter in plate armor with an axe they've ever laid eyes on. She's the coolest mini they've ever seen. It's their first Reaper Kickstarter, and they're super-excited about it...

... until the older, more experienced folks come along, and talk about how so much of this stuff is passe, or trash, or just been done, or whatever. We talk about how this KS is so unexciting and mundane and blase - when that new person sees (or saw) wonder and excitement and treasure. We don't even see them over there, holding this suddenly-trash mini in their metaphorical hands, the joy sliding out of their heart. So they throw that mini over in the trash-heap, and quietly wander off, not saying anything, and maybe in a decade or so they'll find the hobby again. Or maybe not.

And, I know this because I've been the person tossing the thing by the wayside... It's not difficult, when you're new at a thing, to get dejected and toss it away, based on the (sometimes perceived) opinions of (sometimes perceived to be) experts or 'senior' exemplars of the thing. And it happens in every fandom, every hobby, every experience - and sometimes it doesn't take much. One person makes a definitive negative statement about a tool or a process or whatever that the newbie has found useful (and may well be useful to new experimenters in a hobby - but is not a tool that experienced hobbyists generally use because of limited versatility, or whatever)... and suddenly all the cool things that new person has been doing are ash and crap in their eyes, all because an experienced hobbyist was a little more forceful, a little less understanding, than they needed to be.

And, sadly, I've probably been the person decrying the things that caused others to dump something on the trashheap (but I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd, these days). I've said my share of things that were maybe a little too opinionated, a little too forceful, a bit not-nuanced enough, in years and decades past. I try not to, especially in areas that are more public, where I'm not certain of my entire audience, but, I was young (hard to believe, but it happens to us all) and could be Strongly Opinionated about topics, and Not Always Subtle about how I expressed those opinions.

And, it's so easy. Hyperbole and over-emphasis, and being cranky and disappointed - they are all so much easier than being reasoned, and cautious in response, and examining all sides° . and we see something not going the way we want, and we want to say something, we want to offer opinions and suggestions and how-do-we-fix. And the silent audience sees all that, but they don't always see the context, or the backstory, or the relevant details - just the words, and how they can be interpreted (even if not the way they were intended).

And then they throw that little dwarf mini on the trashheap and walk away, when that's the last thing anyone wanted. Because, hard as it sometimes can be, I still believe that most people are basically good, that most°° hobbyists love to see more people coming into the hobby, love to see that NHE (New Hobby Enthusiasm - sort of like NRE, but with less kissing), want to see people enjoying themselves and having fun with their hobby - whatever it may be. If they knew that their acidic comment about minis in a core set sent someone off to cancel their first-time pledge, they'd be mortified, because that's the last thing they wanted - they were trying to help, to convince Reaper to make the set better, not to drive people away. They wanted cool stuff not just for themselves, but to make the Kickstarter better, to make Reaper more successful, to spread more Bonesium Goodness about.

But, we don't always get what we want, even if we are careful in how we phrase things, and how we approach things - when we aren't careful, that makes things even more difficult and more likely to result in bad feels and sadness.

°(okay, sometimes there are no other sides - some things are just awful, and some things demand a forceful response - but, outside of the Big Evils, they are rarely part of hobbies)

°°most is probably doing some heavy lifting here, since there are absolutely trolls and jerks in every hobby, and people whose outlooks cause them to say and do horrible things in certain circumstances, etc. But... they aren't the majority - they're a Very Loud minority.

Edited by izzylobo
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 10

I appreciate that perspective, Izzy.

For what it's worth, I am a newbie here, just starting out with Reaper. And that's why I'm staying here instead of the KS comments. That place gets nasty.

I'm super excited about what I've picked. I just get a little antsy seeing the partial unlocks and banking on it going full. I know people keep saying they will fill. I do. But I really want that chonky dragon, but I'm not going to up my pledge until he's truly available. Like... I'm already sitting on the Fae expansion where my favorite, most-hyped piecea are like... A MILLION DOLLARS from unlocking. That's scary to a newbie. Or me at least.

I'm trying to keep that faith! I'm a patient person. And I'll no doubt up my pledge ... when the things get unlocked. I'll also be here, excitedly checking in multiple times a day to see progress. (Yesterday was not a good day for that.)

Anyway. Just my perspective. Hope it makes sense.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Those pigmen look super intimidating! I love when I can look at a figure and immediately think of encounters they would feature in. I can totally see these as part of a horror story where the werepig town butcher slaughters pigs by day and people by night. Or a dark feywild story about three not-so-little pigs hunting the small helpless wolf.

• Like 4

• Members

I try really hard not to add to the negativity.. No Bones KS other than the first one has had everything excite me.. (and I discovered Bones 1 in the last week of the KS and was new to minis)

in every Bones KS there is at least one sculpt or mini I find mediocre to terrible and I keep those to myself because thats someone's hard work and I certainly can't do it better..

I do think some sculpts benefit more from digital sculpting than from green stuff and that gap is getting wider due to patreons and 3D printing.. 

I miss Izzy's concept art in place of renders.. 

I miss Wandering monster stretch goals that fall half way between the current unlocks.. an encounter set right now would be huge.. 

I don't think it's necessarily the long time backers who are the most negative, I think a large majority of us know we're going to get stuff we don't want.. there are some people who are very Veruca Salt  'I don't care how, I want it now!' 

I think there should be some minis sent to some youtube people like Goobertown, Ninjohn etc to help get the word out and show off Bones Black and Bones USA to further remove the stigma of early Bones plastic.. heck, sponsor a video on one of those channels too..  

Maybe lean into the 5E character minis that fit their non standard races.. Genasi, firbolg, faun, etc..  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, bearsman6 said:

I appreciate that perspective, Izzy.

For what it's worth, I am a newbie here, just starting out with Reaper. And that's why I'm staying here instead of the KS comments. That place gets nasty.

I'm super excited about what I've picked. I just get a little antsy seeing the partial unlocks and banking on it going full. I know people keep saying they will fill. I do. But I really want that chonky dragon, but I'm not going to up my pledge until he's truly available. Like... I'm already sitting on the Fae expansion where my favorite, most-hyped piecea are like... A MILLION DOLLARS from unlocking. That's scary to a newbie. Or me at least.

I'm trying to keep that faith! I'm a patient person. And I'll no doubt up my pledge ... when the things get unlocked. I'll also be here, excitedly checking in multiple times a day to see progress. (Yesterday was not a good day for that.)

Anyway. Just my perspective. Hope it makes sense.

never fear! look up kicktraq if you like but the bones KS always spike up in the last few days. I find it impossible  to imagine that any of the Expansions dont get fully done. Id willing to bet the Egyptian and Dungeon xpacs will as well. 

YES, there is a certain amount of jadedness this time around that MIGHT be more prevalent. AND it kills me how many people pledge $10 on KS just to tell the world why they wont be backing. **shrugs**

What's been offered already IS a great deal. The core will expand and become even better deal. More minis will be added.

Anything else is pretty much a guess and I have nOOOOO insider knowledge or crystal ball.

AJ

• Like 7

My expectations are tempered by knowing there isn't a huge incentive to back early this time around (compared to what I've heard here about Bones V). Without that, it makes sense that most people would wait until the last minute to make an informed decision. The risk is that there wouldn't be enough revealed for those folks to jump on, but I think the previews help with that.

• Like 6

These are the minis so far in Bones 6 I need to add to my collection:

Core: Bog Shambler, Ants 

Green Griffin: Festive Patron, Jochim, Seated Patron 1 & 2, Cap'n Dimitri

Sullenhall: Giant Skeleton

Briarwood: 3 Redcaps, Fungal King, Korred

Orcs: 4/6 poses

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Blip said:

My expectations are tempered by knowing there isn't a huge incentive to back early this time around (compared to what I've heard here about Bones V). Without that, it makes sense that most people would wait until the last minute to make an informed decision. The risk is that there wouldn't be enough revealed for those folks to jump on, but I think the previews help with that.

Yea removing waves probably changed pledging patterns. I think this and the growing knowledge that you can buy stuff thru the pledge manager for manager  tampered the urgency of pledging  more than the bones piles of backlog than many of us have accumulated. Collectors will collect.  Trolls will troll. Most of us will grab what we want.... and a little more 🙂  But if you are a newbie... believe me this is the best deal you will see for probably the next 2 or 3 years.. TAKE IT      

• Like 8