Bones 6 Enthusiasm and Commentary

Chaoswolf

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So from a price point... I think the reaper multi-part guys are kind of expensive. 

The 6 multipart figures for $14. Not a horrible price, but if we compare to other places.

Frost Grave wizards 2. 8 multi-part figures for $22 so 3 sets (24 figures) is $66. 4 sets of reaper (24 figures) is $56...

Fireforge Northmen. 12 Multipart for $24. 2 sets of reaper (12 figures) is $28

GW Greatswords 10 multipart for $50. 3 sets (30 figures) is $150... 5 sets of reaper (30 figures) are $70...

So other than GW, the Reaper guys are more expensive... or close to the same price but with far less options. 

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

**This is my PERSONAL opinion, NOT me speaking as a Mod**

I've backed every Bones Kickstarter; every one of them has had figures I didn't like. No one knows what those figures are 'cause I've kept that to myself. Somebody worked hard to create them, and somebody else loves them, so I'm not going to make a bunch of negative comments about them, I just dont buy them. If they come as part of the core set, I give 'em away.

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"

There's very reasonable.  I've stated previously, this is my first Bones KS (Currently Core + Paint, probably will add the Egyptian stuff). Are there things in the Core set that make me go "Why?"  Yes, but there are also things that I really want.  Example from another post buried in this thread, I mentioned the chibis are not for me, as it's an art style I just don't care for, but I'm not going to trash an artist's hard work just because of my opinion. That's just being a jerk.  Someone worked hard on those, and there's numerous comments in this thread that folks absolutely must have those figures.

Edited by Magnus Brickson
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Come now. The forum has always been a place where we can discuss what we like or don't like and why. Nobody here is saying "this sucks, don't support it".  A lot of us are underwhelmed and are hoping for something more interesting.   The minis market is changing and Reaper has a lot more competition these days.  It's not like it was ~10 years ago when Bones1 came out and wowed everyone.  If we're reduced to only saying "nice" things we might as well not have a discussion at all. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Inarah said:

Come now. The forum has always been a place where we can discuss what we like or don't like and why. Nobody here is saying "this sucks, don't support it".  A lot of us are underwhelmed and are hoping for something more interesting.   The minis market is changing and Reaper has a lot more competition these days.  It's not like it was ~10 years ago when Bones1 came out and wowed everyone.  If we're reduced to only saying "nice" things we might as well not have a discussion at all. 

I agree with this. Unless you are coming on and telling people "dont back this, or dont support this" then saying what you like or dislike helps reaper to know what worked or didnt so they cant do things different in the future. Though there was a guy on the comments of KS doing that... someone said it was the guy "Tupperware" from bones 5 with a different name...

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

So from a price point... I think the reaper multi-part guys are kind of expensive. 

The 6 multipart figures for $14. Not a horrible price, but if we compare to other places.

Frost Grave wizards 2. 8 multi-part figures for $22 so 3 sets (24 figures) is $66. 4 sets of reaper (24 figures) is $56...

GW Greatswords 10 multipart for $50. 3 sets (30 figures) is $150... 5 sets of reaper (30 figures) are $70...

So other than GW, the Reaper guys are more expensive... or close to the same price but with far less options. 

Reaper is the cheapest on all of those except the middle one? And only by $4 there. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

So other than GW, the Reaper guys are more expensive... 

Wizkids Frameworks are $15 for singles and $50 for a pack of 5... granted they seem to be coming in way too high. IMy Local FLGS asked me If I wanted to preorder a "quick pick" for $700 I think I disturbed a few MTG games when i  cackled NO WAY MAN 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Goddesstio said:

Reaper is the cheapest on all of those except the middle one? And only by $4 there. 

You get 3 heads (x2) and 4 sets of arms though. Those others give you like 20 heads and many more weapon options. The amount of stuff you get is vastly different. 

3 minutes ago, amuller33 said:

Wizkids Frameworks are $15 for singles and $50 for a pack of 5... granted they seem to be coming in way too high. IMy Local FLGS asked me If I wanted to preorder a "quick pick" for $700 I think I disturbed a few MTG games when i  cackled NO WAY MAN 

Yeah... I am not sure what they were thinking with 5 orcs for $50... The $15 for a single,... maybe... 5 orcs for $50... no thanks

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

Unless things have changed, both the Frost Grave and Fireforge figures are 'true' 28mm while Reaper is Heroic 28mm.

I'd also note that one of the Bones US figures from last month, two months ago? is selling for $5.99.  I think we'll continue to see prices rise.  Current oil issues are not going to cause anyone to suddenly jump up and shout "Damn I've got to decrease prices immediately!"

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, JoeGKushner said:

Unless things have changed, both the Frost Grave and Fireforge figures are 'true' 28mm while Reaper is Heroic 28mm.

I'd also note that one of the Bones US figures from last month, two months ago? is selling for $5.99.  I think we'll continue to see prices rise.  Current oil issues are not going to cause anyone to suddenly jump up and shout "Damn I've got to decrease prices immediately!"

Fireforge is heroic 28mm. Their northman and fantasy stuff always was, but they have started making their historical range in that size as well. Frost grave is smaller though. 

and $5.99 is the retail price... these are kickstarter prices. I am comparing kickstarter reaper prices to retail Fireforge and Frostgrave... So presumably the reaper multipart guys will be more expensive outside of kickstarter.

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 4

Just now, Smokestack said:

Fireforge is heroic 28mm. Their northman and fantasy stuff always was, but they have started making their historical range in that size as well. Frost grave is smaller though. 

Thanks!  I have some FIreforge stuff that was on the Northstar scale and pretty much stopped buy it after that.  I prefer the larger scale.  Hell, I'd be okay with 32mm becoming the norm.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I've backed every Bones Kickstarter; every one of them has had figures I didn't like. No one knows what those figures are 'cause I've kept that to myself. Somebody worked hard to create them, and somebody else loves them, so I'm not going to make a bunch of negative comments about them, I just dont buy them. If they come as part of the core set, I give 'em away.

You are a better person than me. 👍

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I think this is one of those spaces where how you communicate displeasure is at least as important as whether you communicate it. Constructive criticism can be hard - there's a line that has to be walked between saying "this can be better" and "this sucks wind, be less suck" - and that line is different with every person, and even different in different situations. And it's even worse when you're not communicating in private, because your words are going to have echoes and influences far beyond the intended audience(s). 

And... as a collective, fandom seems particularly enamoured of wicked wordplay, hyperactive hyperbole, suspicious sarcasm, and inventive invective - and this sort of thing can be glorious to watch! When it's not aimed at you (metaphorical you), or something you're fond of. When it is... suddenly it can be a lot more cruel than harsh-but-kind in reception. One thing I try to ask myself when discussing things is "am I writing this sentence because it is true and necessary, or because it is Clever?" - which, sometimes Clever still wins out! But it's something I consider, and I have definitely changed phrasing or elided sections because of how it could be interpreted. (not to say I'm an expert on this! I'm not. But I'm still trying...)

(There's also the questions of subjectivity, objectivity, limited perspective, informed opinions, and a lot of other stuff that can be taken into account as well, of course). 

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, izzylobo said:

And... as a collective, fandom seems particularly enamoured of wicked wordplay, hyperactive hyperbole, suspicious sarcasm, and inventive invective -

Not to mention audacious  alliteration... forgive me I couldn't help myself 😁🥰

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

You'll probably yell at me for something anyway; I'm just preloading you with a reason.

Andy, you are one of the nicest of humans in this industry, unlike that Bobby Jackson guy (bare butts on goblins!!!) :poke::lol:

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Those Pigotaurs are excellent. Made me think of the old Grimm TV show.

After getting home & seeing them on a big screen, I've dubbed them "Porks". Now we just need a bathroom with a peephole in it..........:blues:

• Like 3
  • Haha 6