Bones 6 Enthusiasm and Commentary

Chaoswolf

11 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

Oh let me tell you somethin...

Wizkids Frameworks miniatures beats all of those even GW in being the most expensive.  Its kind of sad
1 set of 5 muilti-part kobolds  $50

Yeah its discussed a little after what you quoted. $14 for a character... maybe... $50 for 5 orcs (or kobolds) ... no... never. no

• Like 2

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Smokestack said:

So from a price point... I think the reaper multi-part guys are kind of expensive. 

The 6 multipart figures for $14. Not a horrible price, but if we compare to other places.

Frost Grave wizards 2. 8 multi-part figures for $22 so 3 sets (24 figures) is $66. 4 sets of reaper (24 figures) is $56...

Fireforge Northmen. 12 Multipart for $24. 2 sets of reaper (12 figures) is $28

GW Greatswords 10 multipart for $50. 3 sets (30 figures) is $150... 5 sets of reaper (30 figures) are $70...

So other than GW, the Reaper guys are more expensive... or close to the same price but with far less options. 

Frost Grave wizards: $2.33/figure. Fireforge $2.33/figure. Greatsword guys $2.33/fig. That's Reaper's price point.

Since when is $2.33/figure expensive? When I was a kid and metal prices were lower, a humanoid figure was probably ~$5. Now that's $7-15 for a general humanoid, depending on quantity of metal. Bones prices at retail are only ~$2.50 for tiny figures like halflings or random bits like jars and crates, otherwise tend to be in the $4-5 range, I think.

If I like the figure, $2.33 is not bad. It just isn't the possible pennies-per-figure of some previous core set offerings.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Frost Grave wizards: $2.33/figure. Fireforge $2.33/figure. Greatsword guys $2.33/fig. That's Reaper's price point.

Since when is $2.33/figure expensive? When I was a kid and metal prices were lower, a humanoid figure was probably ~$5. Now that's $7-15 for a general humanoid, depending on quantity of metal. Bones prices at retail are only ~$2.50 for tiny figures like halflings or random bits like jars and crates, otherwise tend to be in the $4-5 range, I think.

If I like the figure, $2.33 is not bad. It just isn't the possible pennies-per-figure of some previous core set offerings.

That $2.33 is those other companies retail price vs reaper's KS price... meaning after kickstarter the reaper ones are likely to be more expensive... and thos other ones give you 5 times as many options... ( I am being generous as its more like 20 times...) I am not saying the price is horrible... but if the prices are the same (or close to it) then I am going to go with the one that has more options... 

Edit: To be fair as some have pointed out, the reaper guys are larger than Frostgrave (though not really when compared to fireforge) and if that is a concern then that could be worth the extra money to some. Its not a huge concern for me. I am still going to get the reaper ones as I like reaper and am curious... but I still think they are on teh expensive side when compared to the market it seems they are trying to enter.

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Blip said:

Those pigmen look super intimidating! I love when I can look at a figure and immediately think of encounters they would feature in. I can totally see these as part of a horror story where the werepig town butcher slaughters pigs by day and people by night. Or a dark feywild story about three not-so-little pigs hunting the small helpless wolf.

Now now....no need to disturb the natural order of things,..Let Wolves be wolves and pigs be bacon, hhmmmmkay????

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

54 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

When I was younger and the price of a metal figure went from .25 to .35 I thought it was going to kill the hobby. 

I can still remember Ron at Origins ~2000 saying Reaper would never charge more than $1 per figure.  At the time most companies were charging 1.50-2.00 per figure.  The price of metal has gone up, I get it. 

But figure price has very little to do with my feelings about this kickstarter.  I'm simply not seeing much I want or like.  This is the first one I haven't jumped on with a multi-hundred dollar pledge before seeing any expansions, because I'm not seeing much that's new or interesting.  Maybe Reaper only wants to market to folks who haven't been customers of theirs for years, or been in this hobby for decades.  But I sincerely hope that's not the case.  I hope we get some fun original concepts and not more resculpts of stuff that's been done to death. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MoonglowMinis said:

Get an innocent grandma wolf sculpt to go with them.  Or Little Red Riding Wolf.

Sounds like you’re creating work for yourself. I can’t wait to see the sculpts!

• Like 2

Regardless if I will back or not there is one thing I really like.

See, the KS is a succes it funded over the desired amount ( as usual for Reaper now) it means Reaper will stay in business which is a good thing for all of us.

It also means there will be new customers, people who will play and maybe even paint, some of them might join the forum or post their work elsewhere.

So more nice stuff to look at, more gamers/painters.

I call this a win for the hobby.

So yeah, maybe this is more for new collectors than for people like me who have drawers and boxes full of minis and loads of 3D printable files..

But that's good right?

New blood is nessecary to keep the hobby alive.

And maybe if the Egyptian stuff is revealed I might go for that after all.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MoonglowMinis said:

I would be shocked if you could resist.  They may as well have put your name on that one.

True, But I DO have so many Egyptian 3D files now that I can build Legions of Egyptian Undead and Gods...

Hmmm, I don't see anything wrong with that actually.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

I do agree more original sculpts would be nice - at least for those of us who have been collecting the metal figures for ages. For me, the Bones versions are a downgrade from the metal ones typically. But if it is a new sculpt, then that matters much less. Redone sculpts are great for new folks wanting a better price. Less for long-timers.

• Like 6

I'm pretty new here, this being my first Bones Kickstarter, and only painting miniatures for about a year now (unless you count a little painting in my youth, a quarter-century ago), so maybe chalk this idea up to a lack of experience.  But I have been wondering the last few days why Reaper bothers to include a core set at all?  Why not have, say, 8-10 $50 sets, and require every backer to choose at least one (though they can buy as many of them as they want, or all of them, of course)?  They could have several sets with basic figures (orcs/goblins/other humanoids, skeletons/zombies, PC figures, common monsters, etc.) for those who are newer to this and don't have dozens of figures like those at home already.  They could have others that are much more specific (faerie creatures, Egypt, Greece, underwater, etc.), and they could have a set that consists only of strange stuff that is unlike other miniatures out there.  Newbies can collect lots of basic minis without the old-timers complaining about how many zombies they already have, and the people with the big collections already can focus on the stuff they don't have.  There could even be specialized collections: all-chibi (I really don't get the draw of those, honestly, but to each their own...), science fiction, cyberpunk, zombie apocalypse, modern, whatever.  Throw it all in together so everyone helps unlock everything.  Maybe even have a small set of promotional miniatures that everybody gets (from social media promos, number of backers, whatever).

Maybe I am failing to realize something here, but I can see no reason that approach would not work.  And by keeping it all in the same Kickstarter, it keeps the community together, despite our differences. 

Just a thought I wanted to share.  I've been thinking way too much about this Kickstarter the last few days, when I should be working like a responsible adult.

• Like 14

11 minutes ago, GoldenPiggy said:

I'm pretty new here, this being my first Bones Kickstarter, and only painting miniatures for about a year now (unless you count a little painting in my youth, a quarter-century ago), so maybe chalk this idea up to a lack of experience.  But I have been wondering the last few days why Reaper bothers to include a core set at all?  Why not have, say, 8-10 $50 sets, and require every backer to choose at least one (though they can buy as many of them as they want, or all of them, of course)?  They could have several sets with basic figures (orcs/goblins/other humanoids, skeletons/zombies, PC figures, common monsters, etc.) for those who are newer to this and don't have dozens of figures like those at home already.  They could have others that are much more specific (faerie creatures, Egypt, Greece, underwater, etc.), and they could have a set that consists only of strange stuff that is unlike other miniatures out there.  Newbies can collect lots of basic minis without the old-timers complaining about how many zombies they already have, and the people with the big collections already can focus on the stuff they don't have.  There could even be specialized collections: all-chibi (I really don't get the draw of those, honestly, but to each their own...), science fiction, cyberpunk, zombie apocalypse, modern, whatever.  Throw it all in together so everyone helps unlock everything.  Maybe even have a small set of promotional miniatures that everybody gets (from social media promos, number of backers, whatever).

Maybe I am failing to realize something here, but I can see no reason that approach would not work.  And by keeping it all in the same Kickstarter, it keeps the community together, despite our differences. 

Just a thought I wanted to share.  I've been thinking way too much about this Kickstarter the last few days, when I should be working like a responsible adult.

the thing about the core set is the perceived value. The expansions are great and are usually the better models imho but you don’t get the $/mini value in them that you do with the core set. That core set is very appealing and helps draw people in. And they never require you to buy it. 

if they divided the minis from the core set into $50 expansions, it would still be the same minis offered but at a less attractive price and people would still not have to buy them. So I can’t really see an upside to it and can only see it having prices for the same minis be more expensive. 

Not trying to rain too much on your idea. 

• Like 8