Bones 6 Enthusiasm and Commentary

Chaoswolf

I have been purchasing Reaper minis for years now and have backed each of the five previous Kickstarters at well over $150.00 each.  At this point I can go to the Reaper catalogue and find a choose the race of your model, choose the sex of your model, insert your own character class armed with a choose your own weapon in both metal and in bones.  I can also find plenty of undead, goblins, kobolds orcs, ogres, giants, dragons and daemons plus many smaller creatures.  I am not complaining about the selection in the least and I will still shop Reaper for years to come. 

Going through the various kickstarter campaigns it was always the encounter monsters that drew me in.  In Bones 5 I was genuinely excited to see the catobelepas, villagers, cyclops, snake bodied hydra and gigantic spider.  In Bones 4 I could not do without the living statues and the tree of despair.  Bones 3 had the foo dog, great lizard men, Goremaw and Maal Drakar.  Bones 2 had Bugbears, Gnolls, a Gelationous Cube and a Preyton of all things.  Bones 1 was a new exciting medium and had tonnes of useful stuff that surprisingly enough I have painted and used most of.  So far this campaign has generated some very nice sculpts and introduced some new creatures which may be useful in future but the only sculpt that has really drew my eye is the stirges.  I am hoping that the Denizens of the Dungeon expansion will have more of what I am looking for.  Some of the other lesser races that are not usually modelled in numbers would be nice to see such as a brownie horde to go along with the existing line of kobolds, some githyanki or an expanded selection of lizard men.  It would also be nice to see some other domestic creatures such as cattle, sheep and pigs. 

To date I am in for $10 and waiting to see what else comes.  I know that character models will generate more consistent revenue over a long period of time while monsters and terrain items tend to be one off purchases but I can dream can't I?

• Like 12

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Grumpy Gnome said:

In my opinion the slower KS6 start is not down to the core set sculpts or increasing numbers of 3d printers….it is down to the current state of the world. So many delayed kickstarters, so much uncertainty, so many price increases across the board. Things out of the hands of Reaper. 

I know I was hoping for a solely US based KS this time and I am in Germany not the US!

usually its a combination of factors as various ppl get impacted by different things.

being in various 3d print patreon groups, ppl there arent as interested (from the smaller sample size of the ppl who were chatting at the time). they like the 3d printed models better and they are fine with printing multiple parts and gluing cause they like the design. Me, im fine with multipart resin or bones or gw style plastic, etc but its just the models. i want/need more rare stuff.  that or something very impressive (like a very large monster or something like a showpiece). 

on top of that, seen various mention funds are tighter right now, etc on facebook.

But we shall see. im sure there will be some cooler stuff (note: i know cooler is subjective)

Sanjay

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cintra said:

So, Spam?

Cannispam is something a little different - it's made with leftovers from the whole wereboar, not just the back muscles or the belly.  😈

(aaaannnddd... I think that's as far as we follow this particular chain of thinks, yessirreee Bob)

Edited by izzylobo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On Twitch Ron revealed the names of planned encounters. (Names subject to change.)

Egg of the Phoenix: Will have the 3 Salamanders previewed on the first page of this thread. It will have a sort of ‘Arabian Nights’ feel. Will be composed of the salamanders, a guardian of some sort (I got the feeling of ‘guard dog’ in concept, but maybe a draconic beast of some sort?), the titular Egg, and some heroes. This one is complete, so is likely to be the first revealed as a stretch goal. 

The Unholy Sanctum of the Demon Prince: Designed by Max Dunbar. Will only be concept art; they haven’t had time to get it sculpted yet. 😢

The Lost Temple of the Deep Ones: Bobby (Jackson?) is still in the midst of designing this one. 

The Owlbear’s Lair:

The Danger in the Rotstump Bog:

They ran a poll, and people voted for Egg of the Phoenix as the one they wanted to see the first. 

There was one more encounter that Izzy was working on designing, but didn’t have time to complete it. It was Ron’s favorite. He hopes there is time to finish it up before the KS ends. He really wants to put that one out. 

There will be a bonus piece with the 30th anniversary dragon that they’ve not revealed yet. (To my memory, this is the first this has been mentioned, maybe?)

Volumetric prints of the Briarwood Fungal Queen and King. King is on a 3” base. Ron said it seems the queen might be bigger than the 54mm stated on the KS page. 

979FB862-B395-4FBB-B9C2-EFFFC7385F35.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

2 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

On Twitch Ron revealed the names of planned encounters. (Names subject to change.)

Egg of the Phoenix: Will have the 3 Salamanders previewed on the first page of this thread. It will have a sort of ‘Arabian Nights’ feel. Will be composed of the salamanders, a guardian of some sort (I got the feeling of ‘guard dog’ in concept, but maybe a draconic beast of some sort?), the titular Egg, and some heroes. This one is complete, so is likely to be the first revealed as a stretch goal. 

The Unholy Sanctum of the Demon Prince: Designed by Max Dunbar. Will only be concept art; they haven’t had time to get it sculpted yet. 😢

The Lost Temple of the Deep Ones: Bobby (Jackson?) is still in the midst of designing this one. 

The Owlbear’s Lair:

The Danger in the Rotstump Bog:

They ran a poll, and people voted for Egg of the Phoenix as the one they wanted to see the first. 

There was one more encounter that Izzy was working on designing, but didn’t have time to complete it. It was Ron’s favorite. He hopes there is time to finish it up before the KS ends. He really wants to put that one out. 

There will be a bonus piece with the 30th anniversary dragon that they’ve not revealed yet. (To my memory, this is the first this has been mentioned, maybe?)

Volumetric prints of the Briarwood Fungal Queen and King. King is on a 3” base. Ron said it seems the queen might be bigger than the 54mm stated on the KS page. 

Fantastic update.  Really looking forward to those encounters.  Hope to see them soon, as I feel those and better add-ons will help tick-up the pledges.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

I can't even post a screencap in without breaking forum rules, but realizing these are a Queen and King pairing reminds me of the "Oglaf" comic "Dimorphism" with Death-Cap and Lady Death-Cap, being a Mushroom and...uh, Lady Death.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

Also, “I don’t believe there is a Fan Favorites planned for this Bones 6 kickstarter at this time.”

Aww that's a bummer. Fan Favorites tended to have the best random weird stuff.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Aww that's a bummer. Fan Favorites tended to have the best random weird stuff.

So, it wasn't confirmed, but I suspect that the Fan Favorites expansion is a lot of work - culling out the ideas that are actually feasible (and profitable-ish), making a list of the 30-40 best ideas that are either quirky enough, or enough in demand, to warrant a slot, getting concept art done, reviewed and approved, then getting the art off to a sculptor to get sculpting started - it's all the work for Reapercon and RVE combined (minis-wise), only you have to get it all at least started and initial concepts approved in two-three weeks.

Reaper has absolutely wizzer concept artists and sculptors - they can turn stuff around really quickly - but in many cases, they're already working on stuff for Kickstarter - finishing up sculpts, getting comics finished, making new encounter maps, whatever - and then you're throwing work that would normally be done in months (some of the minis we're seeing now were originally teased and sculpted years ago, like the Beefolk and the Murder Hornet) and wanting it done in weeks or days. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1