Jump to content

Bones 6 Enthusiasm and Commentary


Chaoswolf

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The giant crayfish is cool. I will proxy it as a giant lobster... If i can get multiple at retail, I will have my party go to an all you can eat giant lobster buffet... where the lobsters rebel and fight back...

 

There is an all-you can eat lobster buffet in CT (about 6 hours from me... The Nordic. Its $125 per person and a 2 hour limit... My wife says "no!" as it would be $500 to eat with our 2 kids... so I will make my players pay for me not getting to go there!!!

  • Haha 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jeronimus said:

"The Unholy Sanctum of the Demon Prince" is definitely interesting as well. That title makes me assume the central figure will be be loosely based on one of the actual D&D "demon princes", rather than being a generic pit fiend kind of demon - the Demonic Legion covered that nicely last time, and I got a massive, insane demon figure in the Bardsung box that I think goes surprisingly well with those, so I'm certainly good on winged gargoyle demons.

 

  • Demogorgon was covered in the "Fan Favorites" last time.
  • Graz'zt is... not that interesting? I mean... he's just kind of a tall guy, isn't he?
  • Kostchtchie is just an even taller guy! Well, no, he's basically a gigantic ogre, which might also appeal to those who were clamoring for BIGGER GIANTS.
  • Fraz-Urb'lu is the closest to the 'generic winged demon' that they could get. I feel they probably won't go for the gargoyle look again, but I could be wrong. The "Agramon, Duke of Hell" from Bones 4 is a perfect sculpt for this, but from a glance, it looks like he never made it retail yet?
  • Malcanthet is really just a succubus. Sophie's right there, if anyone needs a succubus! And I'm pretty sure there was a succubus in Dungeon Dwellers AND a succubus add-on last time. That's a niche that's plenty served.
  • Orcus is a classic. They already have an appropriate sculpt for him (https://www.reapermini.com/search/figurefinder+demon/latest/77316), but I think it's in Early Bones, so an updae would probably be a good decision. With the wand's ability to summon undead, I could also imagine this being ripe for an encounter. "Unholy" also sounds right for the lord of undeath, though I suppose any demon would be considered unholy... I backed Next Level Miniatures' kickstarter, so I do already have an Orcus on the horizon, but hey...
  • Baphomet is basically a big minotaur... but didn't someone mention there'd be minotaurs in this campaign again?
  • Juiblex would certainly be nasty. A big huge slimy thing with hundreds of eyes... for lack of a Lovecraftian monster in this campaign, this might satisfy some people!
  • Yeenoghu would definitely be cool, though I'm wondering if they wouldn't have paired him up with the gnolls if this were the one...
  • Zuggtmoy would be interesting as well. I don't think the Fungal Queen quite works as a Zuggtmoy proxy (too pretty!), but I've seen that in the comments, so it doesn't seem likely to me.

I wish they would do more name reveals without previews. Because this kind of speculation is so much fun. 

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The detailed pictures scattered throughout this thread are definitely upping my enthusiasm for this kickstarter, so thanks to all you good folks posting them. 

 

I'm definitely intrigued by the possibility of a bog encounter. But as a wetland scientist I'm going to be overly critical about what's in it. I'm going to be over here thinking stuff like "you don't get gators or fish in bogs." Or "Why is there a giant crayfish coming out of there? That doesn't make any sense. It's just a floating peat mat and there's no where for them to burrow." Or "Where did these rotten stumps come from? This is a bog, not a forest." I'm certain that all of my mini painting, wetland loving colleagues would agree with me. What? I'm almost certain it's not just me! But yes, I'm still excited to see what's in there.

 

Anyways, that's my super-nerdy rant for the day. Getting excited to see some more cool stuff!

  • Like 9
  • Haha 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Inarah said:

 

When I was younger and the price of a metal figure went from .25 to .35 I thought it was going to kill the hobby. 

 

I can still remember Ron at Origins ~2000 saying Reaper would never charge more than $1 per figure.  At the time most companies were charging 1.50-2.00 per figure.  The price of metal has gone up, I get it. 

 

But figure price has very little to do with my feelings about this kickstarter.  I'm simply not seeing much I want or like.  This is the first one I haven't jumped on with a multi-hundred dollar pledge before seeing any expansions, because I'm not seeing much that's new or interesting.  Maybe Reaper only wants to market to folks who haven't been customers of theirs for years, or been in this hobby for decades.  But I sincerely hope that's not the case.  I hope we get some fun original concepts and not more resculpts of stuff that's been done to death. 

 

 

If reaper doesn't resculpt older stuff, they will fall behind the pack.  As the art continues to get better, you either keep up or go the way of Ral Partha.   Some of us might not be as enthused to see orcs done again, because this is our 4th iteration of orcs.   They keep getting better, and they need to or they will no longer have the coolest stuff on the market.  Other things reaper doesn't currently have in their lineup.   There are some new interesting things weaved in, like the pigmen.  Such cool things.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

I'm definitely intrigued by the possibility of a bog encounter. But as a wetland scientist I'm going to be overly critical about what's in it. I'm going to be over here thinking stuff like "you don't get gators or fish in bogs." Or "Why is there a giant crayfish coming out of there? That doesn't make any sense. It's just a floating peat mat and there's no where for them to burrow." Or "Where did these rotten stumps come from? This is a bog, not a forest." I'm certain that all of my mini painting, wetland loving colleagues would agree with me. What? I'm almost certain it's not just me! But yes, I'm still excited to see what's in there.

 No, no, you're right. We'll have to fix that. Other than a bog encounter, we're going to need a marsh encounter, and a swamp encounter, and a bayou encounter, and a fen encounter, and a carr encounter, and a mire, and, uhh... a coastal wetlands encounter, and uhh, a river encounter.... lots of water.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jeronimus said:

 No, no, you're right. We'll have to fix that. Other than a bog encounter, we're going to need a marsh encounter, and a swamp encounter, and a bayou encounter, and a fen encounter, and a carr encounter, and a mire, and, uhh... a coastal wetlands encounter, and uhh, a river encounter.... lots of water.

 

Exactly!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

I'm certain that all of my mini painting, wetland loving colleagues would agree with me. What? I'm almost certain it's not just me!

 

You needn’t get bogged down with so many details. We’re all too swamped to look up the actual facts. We’d be quagmired in a useless argument. Just sumpin to think about. Oh well, time marshes on!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jeronimus said:

 

  • Demogorgon was covered in the "Fan Favorites" last time.
  • Graz'zt is... not that interesting? I mean... he's just kind of a tall guy, isn't he?
  • Kostchtchie is just an even taller guy! Well, no, he's basically a gigantic ogre, which might also appeal to those who were clamoring for BIGGER GIANTS.
  • Fraz-Urb'lu is the closest to the 'generic winged demon' that they could get. I feel they probably won't go for the gargoyle look again, but I could be wrong. The "Agramon, Duke of Hell" from Bones 4 is a perfect sculpt for this, but from a glance, it looks like he never made it retail yet?
  • Malcanthet is really just a succubus. Sophie's right there, if anyone needs a succubus! And I'm pretty sure there was a succubus in Dungeon Dwellers AND a succubus add-on last time. That's a niche that's plenty served.
  • Orcus is a classic. They already have an appropriate sculpt for him (https://www.reapermini.com/search/figurefinder+demon/latest/77316), but I think it's in Early Bones, so an updae would probably be a good decision. With the wand's ability to summon undead, I could also imagine this being ripe for an encounter. "Unholy" also sounds right for the lord of undeath, though I suppose any demon would be considered unholy... I backed Next Level Miniatures' kickstarter, so I do already have an Orcus on the horizon, but hey...
  • Baphomet is basically a big minotaur... but didn't someone mention there'd be minotaurs in this campaign again?
  • Juiblex would certainly be nasty. A big huge slimy thing with hundreds of eyes... for lack of a Lovecraftian monster in this campaign, this might satisfy some people!
  • Yeenoghu would definitely be cool, though I'm wondering if they wouldn't have paired him up with the gnolls if this were the one...
  • Zuggtmoy would be interesting as well. I don't think the Fungal Queen quite works as a Zuggtmoy proxy (too pretty!), but I've seen that in the comments, so it doesn't seem likely to me.

 

Yeah Demo they had last time. Baphomet they had in 3 or 4.  they have various orcus in their lines over the years.    Personally, i want a Juiblex , Fraz-Urb'lu (design wise he's more a gargoyle... Agramon is supposed to be a pit fiend.  look can be similar but normally a gargoyle , i would imagine, would have more a stone skin type look) and they can play around with the facehead to make Fraz look unique compared to most companies gargoyles.  

 

Kost is really a demonic frost giant IIRC. I use the mierce ...forgot name, for it. which is a good stand in (if only a bit bigger :P) .   i like reapers old metal graz'zt. forgot what its called. dark prince or something but i may go back, strip the paint, and make the sword thinner and rebase/paint it.

 

SOphie is ok for Mal, although design wise id prefer something more... well... check out the art of her over the years. sophie is more a generic succ.

 

Sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

The detailed pictures scattered throughout this thread are definitely upping my enthusiasm for this kickstarter, so thanks to all you good folks posting them. 

 

I'm definitely intrigued by the possibility of a bog encounter. But as a wetland scientist I'm going to be overly critical about what's in it. I'm going to be over here thinking stuff like "you don't get gators or fish in bogs." Or "Why is there a giant crayfish coming out of there? That doesn't make any sense. It's just a floating peat mat and there's no where for them to burrow." Or "Where did these rotten stumps come from? This is a bog, not a forest." I'm certain that all of my mini painting, wetland loving colleagues would agree with me. What? I'm almost certain it's not just me! But yes, I'm still excited to see what's in there.

 

Anyways, that's my super-nerdy rant for the day. Getting excited to see some more cool stuff!

 

I look forward to your rant. Folks have heard my rants about how minis sculptors abuse crystal habits already so some fresh science kvetching is needed! 😉

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

The detailed pictures scattered throughout this thread are definitely upping my enthusiasm for this kickstarter, so thanks to all you good folks posting them. 

 

I'm definitely intrigued by the possibility of a bog encounter. But as a wetland scientist I'm going to be overly critical about what's in it. I'm going to be over here thinking stuff like "you don't get gators or fish in bogs." Or "Why is there a giant crayfish coming out of there? That doesn't make any sense. It's just a floating peat mat and there's no where for them to burrow." Or "Where did these rotten stumps come from? This is a bog, not a forest." I'm certain that all of my mini painting, wetland loving colleagues would agree with me. What? I'm almost certain it's not just me! But yes, I'm still excited to see what's in there.

 

Anyways, that's my super-nerdy rant for the day. Getting excited to see some more cool stuff!

Hey! You're getting your science in my fantasy!

  • Like 5
  • Haha 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mr. Pinchy is pretty darn good and tempting. The salamander (fantasy style) are great, but I don't need them myself. Kelpies are very nice - I'd be glad to have them in a set but wouldn't go for them on their own.

 

Still good additions to the Kickstarter all around.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...