Bones 6 Enthusiasm and Commentary

Chaoswolf

Given that I don't have minis that are of the same type as mongrel folk currently, I should be more excited about than I am. That is until I realised that Eureka Chaos Army has stolen all my love for chaos mutations and I compare everything that is of that type to them (They all loose. Eureka has both horror and whimsy). 

I would have liked to see what is inside the tomb. I already have some closed tombs. Not Egyptian, but they would work in a pinch. 

The wyverns are really pulling me towards the dungeon expansion, while the Briarwood expansion is pretty much a given. 

• Like 4

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, AlonTey said:

I skipped out on the busts last time and regretted it.

From memory that was thing that was talked about after Bones V, and supposedly busts did really badly so they don't have plans for more. I am happy I got mine. Bones really works well for busts as long as the seam line is in a easy place to access and clean. Personally I would be interested in more busts.

• Like 4

On 4/5/2022 at 4:58 PM, Inarah said:

Comments like this almost make me want to go back and dig up all the glowing reviews from 2013 talking about how Bones quality was indistinguishable from metal once painted. 

Still true for some minis, definitely not for others.

Reaper has also come a long way on their metal releases, compared to their first few years of metal. 

On 4/6/2022 at 11:45 AM, Cyradis said:

These big Kickstarter events are fun, but perhaps in a way, they're getting outgrown for Reaper? Not necessarily using Kickstarter in general, but doing the massive blocks all at a time.

If they had sequences of smaller ones to get new molds made, perhaps it could be good in the future? My guess would be that logistics on that would be tougher on shipping, since they wouldn't have one BIG bulk order to get across the ocean, they'd end up with smaller and possibly less efficient ones to ship. If that isn't prohibitive, maybe more selective small campaigns could help as a new format.

Do a small sci-fi one for the crowd that wants Chronoscope. A "Dungeon Master's Delight" pack with mostly generic monsters. A "Fairytale Adventure" with fae and some encounter packs.

<shrug> just trying to brainstorm some ideas now.

I also think it's time for Reaper to work smaller, more focused kickstarter projects.  They don't need to be open-ended, appeal to everyone, massive projects anymore.   

Logistically, fulfilling a KS with 2-3k backers every year shouldn't be any harder than fulfilling one with 12k+ backers every 2-3 years. 

There are several areas in the Reaper range that could benefit from more focused projects.  Top two that come to mind are the Warlord minis people have been asking for, and Chronoscope getting some love.

On 4/7/2022 at 12:06 PM, GoldenPiggy said:

This is what I have been thinking all along.  It's not a question of whether these sets are a good deal; they are all very good deals compared to retail value.  The question is how much value they have for the buyer.  I see a lot of things I don't really need and would not buy individually, so I actually made a list of what I would be willing to pay for each revealed figure.  I'm buying any set where the cost is lower than what I would spend individually.  So far, that is the core (assuming we unlock the Driftlurker, my favorite sculpt revealed so far), two expansion sets, and two of the add-on options (plus the not-yet-unlocked dragon).  And all of that is despite literally dozens of miniatures I don't really want; I look at those as a free bonus.

This is what I do. 

When spending my funds in the PM, I also prioritize getting the most expensive/biggest things first.  That way, by the time the pledge manager closes, if I've missed anything, it's the inexpensive stuff that is a) likely to come to retail earlier rather than later and b) it will be stuff that I'm more likely to buy at retail prices. 

On 4/7/2022 at 1:50 PM, Inarah said:

Don't forget they said up front that there wouldn't be a Chronoscope expansion.  I know they weren't best sellers in the past but games like Stargrave and Starfinder are some of the fastest growing new miniatures games in recent years and it's a real disservice to fans to be dismissed like that.  

But I'll be patient, more than I was during B5, in hopes that we get something thrown our way.   Then I'll likely go spend money with another company. 

So much potential in the Chronoscope line, and so much wasted opportunity by Reaper, IMO. 

I really, really wish Reaper would at least let us Chronoscope fans put our money where our mouths are, and run a Chronoscope only Kickstarter.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Could you outline the compelling reasons why a Dark Carnival expansion is so desirable?

(Replying to the KS comments, since I haven't backed -- yet!)

Reaper, in the past, "licensed" Savage Worlds sculpts from Deadland's Pinnacle Entertainment Group, and they could certainly draw from the Doomtown card game's dark carnival-based Fearmonger faction. Which would tie into...

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

I really, really wish Reaper would at least let us Chronoscope fans put our money where our mouths are, and run a Chronoscope only Kickstarter.  

Pinnacle Entertainment Group's Savage World game system ties into both different genres and is miniature-friendly. Chronoscope miniatures, of course, span multiple genres. A definite starting place would be the adventures in the core Savage World books. Encounters would include a Savage Worlds adventure using the miniatures in the encounter.

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

I also think it's time for Reaper to work smaller, more focused kickstarter projects.  

They certainly did that with CAV! I've read how many Bones backers are new, so I was also thinking of a Bones KS for new backers, which would have improved sculpts of staple heroes and monsters, even if they appeared previously (cf. orcs and gnolls), and a Bones KS of "fan favorites" for the veterans. Personally, I'd like to see a village and tavern-oriented KS, with sitting and standing NPCs for adventurers to interact with (although Archon has done this to some extent). And then there's always terrain. Reaper has buildings, but not enough for standard 3x3 and larger wargaming tables for various genres. I'd like to see terrain sets for all or most of the scenarios in Frostgrave and Rangers of Shadowdeep, although this may be Northstar Games territory. In any case, in the KS I've backed, I only picked the sets I was most interested in, rather than all I wanted, because I only budgeted so much money.

That said, with Siocast making small runs more possible, China's supply chain issues, and Reaper up to Bones VI, who knows if Reaper will run another Bones KS... 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I'm wondering if there's any chance of seeing more busts.

I'd love to see more, especially if they were a lot less... How to put it...  Safe?  Safe seems close, but not quite the word.  They were lovely sculpts, but they just didn't catch me. 

6 hours ago, DragonWyrm said:

From memory that was thing that was talked about after Bones V, and supposedly busts did really badly so they don't have plans for more. I am happy I got mine. Bones really works well for busts as long as the seam line is in a easy place to access and clean. Personally I would be interested in more busts.

And therein lies the huge issues.  There's a good chance with Bones (preferably Bones Black or USA) they could offer high quality busts at a low price, but the thing is they also need to come out with sculpts that aren't quite as traditional, or better yet, at least one that fits into Chronoscape (and isn't a zombie).  They also need better pics of them, to help give people a better idea of what's involved. 

I've more or less switched over to larger scale figures as the main thing that drives what hits my desk, simply because I find them more enjoyable to paint, doubly so if they're only going to be displayed. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

With all the close-ups being published, I'd love to have a site like reapermini.com/bones4 onto which all the pictures and videos are dumped for future reference. 
Doesn't have to be pretty.

I know a lot of people (both official Reaper and community members) try dilligently to put all the pictures onto every platform and that's appreciated. But having a permanent space like that link for Bones IV really helped me referencing the pictures months or years later. I don't really want to klick through pages upon pages of forum, scroll through facebookgroup-discussions from months ago or figure out in which of the dozens of updates that close-up of that one figure I really wanted a second look at was. 

Sorry if this sounds entitled, I just really love that Bones IV page and reference it to this day (and did so a lot during Pledgemanager selection).

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:
13 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I'm wondering if there's any chance of seeing more busts.

I'd love to see more, especially if they were a lot less... How to put it...  Safe?  Safe seems close, but not quite the word.  They were lovely sculpts, but they just didn't catch me. 

12 hours ago, DragonWyrm said:

And therein lies the huge issues.  There's a good chance with Bones (preferably Bones Black or USA) they could offer high quality busts at a low price, but the thing is they also need to come out with sculpts that aren't quite as traditional, or better yet, at least one that fits into Chronoscape (and isn't a zombie).  They also need better pics of them, to help give people a better idea of what's involved. 

I've more or less switched over to larger scale figures as the main thing that drives what hits my desk, simply because I find them more enjoyable to paint, doubly so if they're only going to be displayed. 

Carbon copies? Boring? Pretty?

(I'm not counting the dragon bust in any of the following conversation)

The three busts were, if I remember correctly, a princess, an elven princess with a baby dragon, and an elven ranger. Nothing wrong with any of those subjects. except that they're almost all the same thing. They're all very pretty (and there's nothing wrong with that), and they're the same thing. I could almost envision painting all of them with same colors of paint, and that seems boring. 

I think a little bit of variety would have helped more; an orc warlord, a dwarf warrior, a vampire, or maybe a cyborg might've given the set a little more appeal.

It's kind of a shame; I've always wanted to try painting a bust, but I don't want to spend $50 (or more) on an experiment. 

(Yes, I did get the busts from the last KS, I wanted to show support so they'd make more. The elven ranger is the only one that I foresee possibly getting painted, though. I'm not a good enough painter to paint elven princesses and have them come out looking halfway decent.)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

In reply to an earlier post about Reaper doing smaller kickstarters… I think if they ran small KS with the goal of maybe 5-10 new models for Bones USA production in the USA, it would fund and allow more frequent yet experimental directions into some of the niche lines people are clamoring for.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Carbon copies? Boring? Pretty?

(I'm not counting the dragon bust in any of the following conversation)

The three busts were, if I remember correctly, a princess, an elven princess with a baby dragon, and an elven ranger. Nothing wrong with any of those subjects. except that they're almost all the same thing. They're all very pretty (and there's nothing wrong with that), and they're the same thing. I could almost envision painting all of them with same colors of paint, and that seems boring. 

I think a little bit of variety would have helped more; an orc warlord, a dwarf warrior, a vampire, or maybe a cyborg might've given the set a little more appeal.

It's kind of a shame; I've always wanted to try painting a bust, but I don't want to spend $50 (or more) on an experiment. 

(Yes, I did get the busts from the last KS, I wanted to show support so they'd make more. The elven ranger is the only one that I foresee possibly getting painted, though. I'm not a good enough painter to paint elven princesses and have them come out looking halfway decent.)

Boring could definitely be applicable.  I really wanted to buy some, but the biggest issue for me was not only did all three look similar to each other, they really did come across as playing it rather safe...  And there was literally no desire on my end to even consider painting them, they just didn't appeal to me, so they didn't even make it into my cart despite wanting to support them.

The dragon bust on the other hand?  That one's lovely, and I do hope they bring it to retail because I want more of them!

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Darcstaar said:

In reply to an earlier post about Reaper doing smaller kickstarters… I think if they ran small KS with the goal of maybe 5-10 new models for Bones USA production in the USA, it would fund and allow more frequent yet experimental directions into some of the niche lines people are clamoring for.

I suggested the same a couple weeks back. Build the BONES USA line, smaller KS campaigns that focus on building that brand and internal production. Stop relying on overseas. 

Makes one wonder if there’s an addictive factor to having ‘large’ projects?

• Like 8